• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

The McCamish gutting at GT cost $50mil a little over a decade ago.

Something needs to be done.

There were some redesign mockups of the Joel posted on these here boards a year or so ago. Anyone memberry it?

Yes they were up for about 5 mins and then deleted. Exaggeration but not far off. Apparently someone leaked them prematurely.

Yes they were up for about 5 mins and then deleted. Exaggeration but not far off. Apparently someone leaked them prematurely.

Those were Wellman plans, some good some maybe, was to reduce seating capacity to 11500 to 12000 with moved luxury boxes to bank in upper deck on the wake bench side and open the arena between upper and lower decks with the luxury boxes gone to allow sight to the court from concourse, larger video boards. Don’t think there was any progress because of the poor product over the last 12 years

Call me crazy but if they decide to gut the Joel to renovate the athletic department should build a temporary dome/tent with temp bleachers at Truist or buy out the Thunderbirds lease for a year and play at the annex for a season.

How much does the Annex seat for basketball? Back in the day, I think it was around 4500. Playing at the annex makes more sense than playing in Greensboro.

I can't believe Baylor's arena is 30+ years old and about to be replaced. It seems like yesterday I watched Greg Ostertag lead Duncanville in the state tournament in a brand-new Ferrell Center.

Tex, we're talking about replacing the Joel. When we got there, it was only 5 years old.

How much does the Annex seat for basketball? Back in the day, I think it was around 4500. Playing at the annex makes more sense than playing in Greensboro.

3,300 for hockey??? So with basketball it could be 3,500. Not ideal but it would be a good 1 year fix without having to move the team to Greensboro

Figure up how much money you want to invest in renovating the Joel. Cut that amount in half. Give the other half to football.

3,300 for hockey??? So with basketball it could be 3,500. Not ideal but it would be a good 1 year fix without having to move the team to Greensboro

Could do a split. Do any non major non conference games in the Annex plus a few low demand conference games then use the Greensboro Coliseum for Duke, UNC, State, etc.

Could do a split. Do any non major non conference games in the Annex plus a few low demand conference games then use the Greensboro Coliseum for Duke, UNC, State, etc.

The issue is your going to have to get the Birds on board with them being the primary tenant. Knowing Barry the owner WFU is going to have to cough up a pretty penny for him to step aside for a year. The team is his cash cow so likely WFU will have to offer 2+ million and I’m sure the annex would require Wake to throw in some $$$ for upgrades

$2 million? Can the women play on campus while the men play at the Annex once a week? That would certainly be less than $2 million.

I wonder if they could start construction in March and finish it before ACC season starts in January. Just play some local not too tough OOC road games (High Point, A&T, UNCG, not Davidson). Play the Big Ten team on the road. Play home OOC games at the Annex.

Last edited:
The issue is your going to have to get the Birds on board with them being the primary tenant. Knowing Barry the owner WFU is going to have to cough up a pretty penny for him to step aside for a year. The team is his cash cow so likely WFU will have to offer 2+ million and I’m sure the annex would require Wake to throw in some $$$ for upgrades

Sounds like we’d be going to Greensboro instead.

Back