• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The school choice and 2-parent household official thread

Absher got endorsements from Put Children First Again and Education First Alliance, which bills itself as an organization “fighting for parental rights and against schools radicalizing and sexualizing our children.”

In campaign material, Absher has been critical of masking and keeping children out of school during the pandemic. She has also likened social emotional learning to Marxism. School systems across the country, including the local district, teach an instructional approach known as social emotional learning to teach kids how to develop social skills, manage emotions and find support systems. It’s become a target among some conservative groups.

“Social emotional learning is a vehicle for Marxism,” Absher said in one video.

No surprise in terms of her backers - since the whole CRT thing started conservatives have been forming regional, state, and national campaign groups ("parental rights/children's rights", etc.) to actively recruit and then pay for the campaigns of right-wing parents running for school boards across the country. This isn't a case of outraged parents in some locality just rising up on their own and running for office, it's part of a larger GOP campaign strategy. Drive up turnout in local races and it will help the statewide and national tickets as well, and having right-wingers take over school boards is another way to chip away at what they see as liberal control of public ed.

To define Marxism in simple terms, it's a political and economic theory where a society has no classes. Every person within the society works for a common good, and class struggle is theoretically gone.

Spread the word about all the negatives associated with Absher. Her ignorant views have no place on the WSFCS board of ed.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if Absher does not get in in November. For every Forsyth County resident who is turned off hearing her ignorant message there's someone else energized to go vote for her. Hopefully she is marginalized as the board's right-wing nutjob once she gets there.

I'd be shocked if Absher does not get in in November. For every Forsyth County resident who is turned off hearing her ignorant message there's someone else energized to go vote for her. Hopefully she is marginalized as the board's right-wing nutjob once she gets there.

She will be the powerless right wing nutjob on the board.

instead of working on important issues she will be hung up on CRT and SEL.

She will be the powerless right wing nutjob on the board.

instead of working on important issues she will be hung up on CRT and SEL.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Our School Board is designed to be pretty conservative.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Our School Board is designed to be pretty conservative.

Conservatives - yes

Far right maga - No

Already have 2 democrats in district 1. Add Kaplan and Watts at large. She will be outnumbered even by her own party. Republicans like Stan Elrod will be for education and not conspiracy theories.

Looks like our glorious new right-wing Supreme Court supermajority is about to accelerate the dismantling of public ed in America. They're about to make a ruling that would force states to use public dollars to fund openly religious schools that restrict enrollment based on religious belief. And the ruling will also allow charter schools to be openly religious, while still receiving public dollars.

"...the conservative majority of the Supreme Court is likely to require Maine officials to use public funding to subsidize religious teaching and proselytizing at schools that legally discriminate against people who don’t support their religious beliefs."

And on charter schools, the court's ruling "may mean that states could be seen as “engaging in discrimination if they did not allow a church or religious entity to operate a publicly funded charter school as a religious school.”

Given how segregated religious institutions are, this is a way to circumvent Brown. Charters already are a method of resegregation. Religious charters just go a step further.

I know she doesn't really care but I'd love to know how she felt the moment she realized she's just a pawn. A low information dummy that was played by republicans at the worst possible time. Again.

I know she doesn't really care but I'd love to know how she felt the moment she realized she's just a pawn. A low information dummy that was played by republicans at the worst possible time. Again.

I don’t think she is a pawn. I think she is probably perfectly happy with this. The only ones getting played here are the voters who buy into her schtick.

Increasing the minimum wage is pro family!

https://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/raising-minimum-wage-lowers-divorce-rate

A report by UCLA psychologists and RAND economists has identified an effective way to reduce the number of divorces among lower-income Americans: Raise the minimum wage.

The UCLA–RAND study shows that when states increased their minimum hourly wage by $1, divorce rates declined by 7% to 15% over the next two years among men and women earning low wages — including but not limited to those earning minimum wage.

Back