• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official CANCEL CONOR O'NEILL, CAM LEMONS & LESJOHNS JOB OFFER THREAD

I do not miss caring so much about Wake Forest basketball that I would have known who ^^ Cam ^^ was before opening this thread.

I guess I have Wellman et al to thank for that? Which is weird.

getting a side job covering Kansas = smart. getting a side job covering Duke = getting a side job trafficking children.

I like the joke but who really gives a shit?

O'Neil doesn't owe Wake Forest loyalty and he is just doing a job. If you are so offended by somebody making a few extra bucks as they continue to work in a shrinking profession then you need to have a long, hard look in the mirror. It doesn't really impact your life that somebody writes about both Wake and Duke.

Also, are we even trying to pretend we are competitive rivals of Duke right now? Grow up, you collection of Peter Pans.

-I won't be a sunshine pumper. That's not who I am, nor is that who I'll ever be. I'll be better about letting people have fun because, well people deserve that in this hellscape of a society we live in, but I won't be someone blindly pushing sunshine. Don't think that's fair to anyone to sell them a dream. Again, sometimes I can be a bit harsh and blunt and that's something I need to work on, but you won't catch me flipping the switch like that. Sorry, not sorry. That's not the purpose of the role.

This reminds me of a young PhDeac posting on these boards, angering the Sunshine Brigade who thought Odom, Grobe, and Prosser were gods among men. Do you, Cam. Just don't be an ass, except to State fans.

This reminds me of a young PhDeac posting on these boards, angering the Sunshine Brigade who thought Odom, Grobe, and Prosser were gods among men. Do you, Cam. Just don't be an ass, except to State fans.

That's all most folks want and, yet, what he fails at so consistently.

Great work getting to cover the best two teams in the ACC!

I enjoy his Wake work and I am glad he can make some extra cash. I would prefer to be able to not see the Duke stuff on Twitter because I cannot keep up with my Twitter as is even though I do not think I follow many people.

* cracks knuckles *
* promises self to not write a book here *

OK so the parade of thank-yous first. To ATS, ConnorEl (even though he spells his name wrong, haha), Tobacco Road, dixie, AppreciateIt, carpet, etc., thank you. I know one of you said this is a "relatively thankless job" but honestly, it's not always felt that way to me. I am my own harshest critic, so any time somebody tells me something is anything other than dogshit, I get kinda excited.

To reciprocate, Cam and Les work their asses off. I'm not sure how either of them sleeps. It's hard to carve into WF recruiting coverage when you're constantly being lapped by them, which is nobody's fault but my own.

The point that pulling double duty is going to cause me to miss some things is valid. I missed Wake's home win over FSU but had that game covered by Jamie Shaw (a Rivals basketball recruiting reporter who's since moved to on3). I think there was an early non-conference game I had to miss, too.

I understand the harsh feelings about cultivating a Substack dedicated to Wake Forest coverage and not making it a year with it. The Wake Up farewell was about as revealing as I'll go in why that move was made, and hopefully helps illustrated why I'm having to pull double duty.

The Twitter shit, I mean, I have a Duke-specific account. It has all of 165 followers. The @WakeRivals account goes back several years and had a built-in following; taking over the Duke site had no such luxury. It feels like yelling into the void and in an effort to get my eyes on more Duke coverage, I've tweeted from my account. I realize the majority of my following wants to see Duke lose by 50 ... but I'm also followed by some Duke fans, and other media types who can give me more exposure.

Honestly, part of my thought process with centralizing and tweeting about both from my account was that they're the two best teams in the ACC and they have two (maybe three) of the top contenders for ACC POY. (Cam is right; Alondes is clearly the POY in my eyes. If you take Paolo off of Duke, they're still a top-2 team in the ACC. If you take Alondes off of Wake ... maybe top half of the ACC? ... not to give away any future My Takes or anything.)

If it's that much of an issue, I'll live-tweet more games from the site-specific accounts. I just feel like that's pretty impersonal.

I do want to address one specific part of Les' post, as it's something that's been mentioned here before: I was never offered a position with Les. I have a DM from him after I'd been picked up by the N&O saying he was going to have me write film reviews and a couple of features/week for his site. So it bothers me to see it submitted as I had a job offer. It's not like I had options to weigh that week. Maybe that's being petty and small ... but I felt the need to clear that up.

In summation: I knew what Rivals asked of me -- and what I agreed to -- would not be universally accepted. Didn't necessarily think it'd result in a "The Official CANCEL CONOR O'NEIL* THREAD" but hey, here we are. I think I've said my peace here. I kinda feel like I haven't because I should hash out my thoughts better than this, but I've gotta hit send.

As always, I'm reachable in PMs on here or DMs on Twitter.

* Two Ls, man.

* cracks knuckles *
* promises self to not write a book here *

OK so the parade of thank-yous first. To ATS, ConnorEl (even though he spells his name wrong, haha), Tobacco Road, dixie, AppreciateIt, carpet, etc., thank you. I know one of you said this is a "relatively thankless job" but honestly, it's not always felt that way to me. I am my own harshest critic, so any time somebody tells me something is anything other than dogshit, I get kinda excited.

To reciprocate, Cam and Les work their asses off. I'm not sure how either of them sleeps. It's hard to carve into WF recruiting coverage when you're constantly being lapped by them, which is nobody's fault but my own.

The point that pulling double duty is going to cause me to miss some things is valid. I missed Wake's home win over FSU but had that game covered by Jamie Shaw (a Rivals basketball recruiting reporter who's since moved to on3). I think there was an early non-conference game I had to miss, too.

I understand the harsh feelings about cultivating a Substack dedicated to Wake Forest coverage and not making it a year with it. The Wake Up farewell was about as revealing as I'll go in why that move was made, and hopefully helps illustrated why I'm having to pull double duty.

The Twitter shit, I mean, I have a Duke-specific account. It has all of 165 followers. The @WakeRivals account goes back several years and had a built-in following; taking over the Duke site had no such luxury. It feels like yelling into the void and in an effort to get my eyes on more Duke coverage, I've tweeted from my account. I realize the majority of my following wants to see Duke lose by 50 ... but I'm also followed by some Duke fans, and other media types who can give me more exposure.

Honestly, part of my thought process with centralizing and tweeting about both from my account was that they're the two best teams in the ACC and they have two (maybe three) of the top contenders for ACC POY. (Cam is right; Alondes is clearly the POY in my eyes. If you take Paolo off of Duke, they're still a top-2 team in the ACC. If you take Alondes off of Wake ... maybe top half of the ACC? ... not to give away any future My Takes or anything.)

If it's that much of an issue, I'll live-tweet more games from the site-specific accounts. I just feel like that's pretty impersonal.

I do want to address one specific part of Les' post, as it's something that's been mentioned here before: I was never offered a position with Les. I have a DM from him after I'd been picked up by the N&O saying he was going to have me write film reviews and a couple of features/week for his site. So it bothers me to see it submitted as I had a job offer. It's not like I had options to weigh that week. Maybe that's being petty and small ... but I felt the need to clear that up.

In summation: I knew what Rivals asked of me -- and what I agreed to -- would not be universally accepted. Didn't necessarily think it'd result in a "The Official CANCEL CONOR O'NEIL* THREAD" but hey, here we are. I think I've said my peace here. I kinda feel like I haven't because I should hash out my thoughts better than this, but I've gotta hit send.

As always, I'm reachable in PMs on here or DMs on Twitter.

* Two Ls, man.

It's better to be in the light, be it positive or negative.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Good luck and fuck Duke!

How much does this Deal with the Devil, so to speak, pay if you don't mind me asking?

covereyes.jpg

How much does this Deal with the Devil, so to speak, pay if you don't mind me asking?

Perhaps we can funnel some boards fundraiser money to Conor to cover what he'd miss out on by not covering Duke.

I DON'T SEE OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS GOING TO USE ANYWHERE ELSE.

You can uncancel yourself by writing a long form essay detailing how the Joel Coliseum is one of the greatest home basketball arena plus environments there is and ever will be.

Fwiw, there's no issue here. There were three-to-four days between Conor's layoff and his freelance deal with the N&O. I spent at least some of that time evaluating my own personal finances to see what me and my family COULD DO WITHOUT to help Conor (you're welcome, by the way). By the time I had reached a conclusion, he was with the N&O. And anything I had to offer would have been merely a 'stop gap' for him in terms of helping him bridge the gap until something more full-time would have come about, so his deal with the N&O was probably the best for everyone.

During those three days, I reached out more than once to see how he was and ask if there was anything I could do to help him out. Never let a good deed go unpunished, I guess.

The only reason I brought this up to begin with was because someone in this thread asked "Why didn't Les hire Conor?" Well, I would have (on a freelance basis) had the opportunity arisen.

Yeah, shots fired. Feels like a true RIVALy on our hands here between Conor and Les/Cam. The friendly posts are a head fake.

The real genius is deachus using Conor's favorite pic!

it seems there is a real difference between a "job" and a "stopgap"

Back