• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official CANCEL CONOR O'NEILL, CAM LEMONS & LESJOHNS JOB OFFER THREAD

If we can drop $20 mil on an indoor practice field, we can drop $200 a week to pay our beat writer not to write a Paolo Banchero puff piece

I'd argue that 10k is quite the low ball. Aim higher.

I follow him on Twitter and if it's pro Duke, I just don't read or like it. No Biggie.

You kind of have to read something to know what it's about. It's not like he's out here prefacing all his Wendell Moore quotes with duke love trigger warnings.

I think LK has already summed up my thoughts on the matter. I think Conor is amazing at his job and I appreciate all that he's done to raise the bar for covering Wake Sports. His football coverage and play-by-play game breakdowns are top notch and being able to check his feed live for injury/player sightings prior to most football games this year was crucial.

I wade through enough duke shit in national media; I don't want it on my twitter timeline and it does occasionally inspire very visceral reactions... particularly when it's platforming quotes about embracing the villain role and silencing the opposition's crowd just weeks after they came to Winston and kicked our ass in a game that felt winnable except for a crazy 5 (?) minute stretch.

I think most people get that it's a joke, and also that some things shouldn't be joked about (like a good man's livelihood)

don't be that guy, thatguy

also - fuck the haters, deacon journos !

inside #sources have told me that certain members of the Duke team were similarly dispirited in hearing about this arrangement, clearly this scandal affected their play tonight. It goes without saying that if this controversey results in our season also taking a sudden turn for the worse we all know who to blame.

I wonder how many of us would pay a subscription fee to post here, and if it would be enough money to pay a beat writer

1. Now that BKF is gone, no.
2. I’m sure Brad will be over shortly to discuss the it contributions (or lack thereof) that denizens of this board make to the deacon club.

so does Conor interview K after this one? I would ask him if it was bad coaching at the end.

Duke got away with 3 blatant fouls in the last 1:16. So easy to hate them. This crap better end with K’s retirement.

All I’m saying is DR doesn’t have a custom title so if someone gets on that, we could probably afford a paid sportswriter.

Conor and Les do a ton for WF so this whole thread is ridiculous, even in jest. I am very grateful for both.
With that said, it’s pretty obvious that Cam has pissed off a ton of people with personal attacks which is a really bad move for a site that relies on subscriptions. I don’t really care how great his content is when he’s a jerk to everyone. I can live without that content.

I just learned not to follow Cam on Twitter. His work on Les' site is great and he has so much recruiting info and insight into Wake Football, especially the defense;). He is much more respectful on that message board. Most people that tweet a lot are assholes, I've found(Les excluded).

Les' site is well worth the $. I canceled my subscription to the Winston-Salem Journal after they got rid of Conor. I enjoyed his coverage up to that time but now I get all my Wake info from 247. Money well spent.

I just learned not to follow Cam on Twitter. His work on Les' site is great and he has so much recruiting info and insight into Wake Football, especially the defense;). He is much more respectful on that message board. Most people that tweet a lot are assholes, I've found(Les excluded).

Les' site is well worth the $. I canceled my subscription to the Winston-Salem Journal after they got rid of Conor. I enjoyed his coverage up to that time but now I get all my Wake info from 247. Money well spent.

The world situation of the last few years has made me realize that I won't give people a pass for their work if they are also a huge asshole in real life. I don't really care how good the content may be.

As soon as Conor writes Coach K got out coached last night, this dual job will be at an end,

If you think the Duke fanbase is just one massive cult following of K ... well, you'd be partially right. But plenty of that fanbase is enjoying his final season because they'll get to turn the page to Scheyer.

I would agree on the dichotomy of pressers with these coaches. Hoo, would I agree. I suppose it'd be well-received here to point out that I've pissed off K a couple of times this season with questions (thought they were fair and others in media confirmed they were fine). But ... I haven't gotten anything close to, "I said no, Conor."

(dawned on me yesterday that tomorrow will be my first trip to PNC since that March 2020 night.)

If you think the Duke fanbase is just one massive cult following of K ... well, you'd be partially right. But plenty of that fanbase is enjoying his final season because they'll get to turn the page to Scheyer.

I would agree on the dichotomy of pressers with these coaches. Hoo, would I agree. I suppose it'd be well-received here to point out that I've pissed off K a couple of times this season with questions (thought they were fair and others in media confirmed they were fine). But ... I haven't gotten anything close to, "I said no, Conor."

(dawned on me yesterday that tomorrow will be my first trip to PNC since that March 2020 night.)

Here is why K is suck a dick (among other things). He somehow finds it necessary to put this college student who writes for the school paper on the spot and on the defensive. Total lack of class. Just one example mind you.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...ke-student-reporter/sx3vex71gxe91hghf7pl1dkld

I can't read through all 6 pages of this thread (I barely made it through one) but the idea of a journalist making different twitter handles for the various items they cover seems absurd. I can't think of any examples of that happening and it's silly to think that would be a real option / consideration for someone who has built up a following based on their work over the years.

Back