• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tickets for Miami Game, Feb. 12

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
I am looking for 2 tix downstairs. I need to do some research on how much improvement our home court experience needs and how best to achieve it.

Also need some recommendations for the best place to stay in winston that night; where to go out to eat, and where to go for a cocktail...

Thanks in advance...

I am looking for 2 tix downstairs. I need to do some research on how much improvement our home court experience needs and how best to achieve it.

Also need some recommendations for the best place to stay in winston that night; where to go out to eat, and where to go for a cocktail...

Thanks in advance...

Well, I guess we can make room for some bandwagon fans late arriving for this season.

Thanks in advance...

Ticketmaster

I went ahead and bought tickets from the ticket office since no one seemed inclined to offer any here...

Any recommendations for stuff to do in town after the game?

I went ahead and bought tickets from the ticket office since no one seemed inclined to offer any here...

Any recommendations for stuff to do in town after the game?[/QUOTe
Dinner at Fratellis or Fourth St Filling Station. Hot and now Krispy Kreme glazed for breakfast, lunch dogs at PBs on Hawthorne.

Drinks at The Katherine on Friday. Or Foothills Tasting Room off S Stratford for a casual brew.

There are a couple of breweries downtown which are very walkable ( Foothills, Fiddling Fish, Wiseman to name a few) . Winston is a cool down town area to walk.

Any recommendations for stuff to do in town after the game?[/QUOTe
Dinner at Fratellis or Fourth St Filling Station. Hot and now Krispy Kreme glazed for breakfast, lunch dogs at PBs on Hawthorne.

Take a walk across from Fourth St Filling Station and try Mozelles, great food! Lots of good breweries downtown, check out Innovation quarter and Incendiary brewery.

Here we have a Saturday matchup between two of the top 4 teams in the league. We have not been in this position in years which for most schools would bring huge excitement.

We have tickets going for $6 on stubhub. $26 in the lower deck. The demand, and therefore the excitement, is just annihilated by the size of the arena. When folks get handed free tickets to Wake games they aren’t excited because they are already essentially free.

No 9pm Wednesday bad opponent excuses here. This game is Easter Sunday. And the Church is just too damn big.

Here we have a Saturday matchup between two of the top 4 teams in the league. We have not been in this position in years which for most schools would bring huge excitement.

We have tickets going for $6 on stubhub. $26 in the lower deck. The demand, and therefore the excitement, is just annihilated by the size of the arena. When folks get handed free tickets to Wake games they aren’t excited because they are already essentially free.

No 9pm Wednesday bad opponent excuses here. This game is Easter Sunday. And the Church is just too damn big.

I haven't seen anyone argue with you that Wake needs an arena this large. We are all in agreement that fewer seats would be more appropriate.

What we are seeing right now, I believe, is the hidden danger of allowing a program to wallow in the doldrums for a freaking decade. You might assume that as soon as the team shows signs of being good again, all the fans would come running back. It doesn't work that way. People have gotten used to doing other stuff. A whole generation of potential fans; local kids, children of alumni, etc., have grown from being 6-8 years old, the age where you first start developing an affinity for sports and for a particular team, to being 16-18 years old - all while Wake has been completely irrelevant in college basketball. We have essentially lost those kids and it will be very difficult to bring them back.

Among all the Wake alumni that I know from my time at Wake, I am unique in that I still follow the team, watch the games, and care. My one roommate will occasionally text me about a game - but usually to make fun of us for losing.

We started with such a small fanbase, losing the ones we have over the last decade is disastrous. It is going to take some sustained success before we start seeing the Joel packed with loud Wake fans again - whatever the format of the arena.

I checked stubhub and was very excited because I don't have access to the good seats on Saturday. And now I am disappointed, as the 26 dollar lower tickets do not exist. You can make it up to me by giving me 4 of your tickets in the lower bowl.

Scooter, holler at me if you end up anywhere near Incendiary before the game. Always go there with the wife and kids beforehand so the kids can run around and burn off some energy. Be glad to buy a fellow native a beer.

I haven't seen anyone argue with you that Wake needs an arena this large. We are all in agreement that fewer seats would be more appropriate.

What we are seeing right now, I believe, is the hidden danger of allowing a program to wallow in the doldrums for a freaking decade. You might assume that as soon as the team shows signs of being good again, all the fans would come running back. It doesn't work that way. People have gotten used to doing other stuff. A whole generation of potential fans; local kids, children of alumni, etc., have grown from being 6-8 years old, the age where you first start developing an affinity for sports and for a particular team, to being 16-18 years old - all while Wake has been completely irrelevant in college basketball. We have essentially lost those kids and it will be very difficult to bring them back.

Among all the Wake alumni that I know from my time at Wake, I am unique in that I still follow the team, watch the games, and care. My one roommate will occasionally text me about a game - but usually to make fun of us for losing.

We started with such a small fanbase, losing the ones we have over the last decade is disastrous. It is going to take some sustained success before we start seeing the Joel packed with loud Wake fans again - whatever the format of the arena.

The problem is we didn't lose those kids, we never had them and never will. Only reason I can get back into it is because my childhood is literally filled with memories of going to games, don't think I missed more than 1-2 home games a year from age 5-18. Whole family went, friends, I loved it.

Good post, scooter. But the worst part of it is that as fans we knew this lost decade was coming over a decade ago and the powers that be did nothing to stop it.

The right hire could turn our program around within a couple of years. But if the next hire is botched we're looking at a lost decade.

What really sucks about this situation is that when Duke and UNC-CH had their down or rebuilding period, it was one freaking year and they had McDonald's All-Americans on the team. We're entering year three of a period that looked like Maryland or Wake in the late '80's or State in the early 90's. This could be a lost decade for us.

After NEXT season is when we can point to Indiana and say "look, it took them 4 years" while hoping that we can turn it around in 4 or a little more. What Bzz has done in 3 years will be even worse than what the NCAA was able to do to Indiana, because not only is the team/program in shambles like Indiana was, but the fan support will be much slower to return after 3 seasons of awfulness as we begin to climb out of the hole. We could be looking at a lost decade for WFU basketball if we don't make an absolutely GREAT hire when the inevitable Bzz canning happens.

Scooter is of course right that our fans largely don’t exist anymore.

What does this have to do with getting a proper stadium built for when they do again? We never filled the Joel of course. And for those duke/UNC games we did, the structure was wrong.

Is scooters point that we should just quit? Seems like he and I at least agree on the facts. (Unlike others who still contend the size is fine).

As I have said the 20s are gone. We can’t fix them. Forbes understandably is focused on the now. We are the ones as stewards who should be focused on the 30s and 40s. What a great time to get it right for future teams.

I would think Deacon Club donations would increase with a much smaller arena (plus consistently good teams.) Twenty years ago I had no chance of getting season tickets downstairs at my giving level, this year I am four rows from the floor with a relatively modest donation. I would actually love to get to a point where I had to increase my giving just to be able to get season tickets downstairs.

Back