• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Considering Eliminating Divisions In Football

Good point-the analysis in the Athletic article is a bit comical. My guess is that the big programs get to pick their partners first. I think State and Duke are likely matches for us. If we don’t get UNC as a third, I can probably talk myself into any of our current division rivals (save Syracuse).

It will likely be state to keep the 100+ year game streak alive and the other small privates- dook and bc.

Good point-the analysis in the Athletic article is a bit comical. My guess is that the big programs get to pick their partners first. I think State and Duke are likely matches for us. If we don’t get UNC as a third, I can probably talk myself into any of our current division rivals (save Syracuse).

Looks like from the ACC articles that were written by Teal, DeCock and the like last week about the meetings, they all think our little pod of three teams will be Duke, State & UVa.

Since everything is set up for football, ratings and more $$$, probably will be set around Clemson, FSU, VT & Miami because the league needs all of them to get good again like Clemson is.

Looks like from the ACC articles that were written by Teal, DeCock and the like last week about the meetings, they all think our little pod of three teams will be Duke, State & UVa.

Since everything is set up for football, ratings and more $$$, probably will be set around Clemson, FSU, VT & Miami because the league needs all of them to get good again like Clemson is.

I’d take State, Dook, and UVa in a heartbeat.

Then who would Carolina’s be?

State, UVA, and Duke. I think State and UVA are locks. Duke would be 50-50 for football. My sense is the ACC wants to preserve UNC-UVA game much more than an annual Wake-UNC game.

I for Wake, I’d be fine with any combo of the NC and VA schools. More specifically, if we can’t get all 3 NC schools, I’d be cool with any 2 of the NC schools and either of the VA schools.

I don’t need to play Clemson every year and I want to avoid the Pitt/Louisville/Syracuse/BC quartet at all costs.

Ummm, yeah, Duke and UNC are going to be rivals in the new construct. 100-0, not 50-50

Why does the ACC need for Clemson, FSU, VT and Miami to be good?

Why is it that the ACC is only seen as a "strong" league when those schools are good?

Because the ACC doesn’t get credit for other teams being good. If Jim Phillips booked the ACC like a wrestling promoted, a down Clemson would have put Wake over and given them the trophy in Death Valley. That would have established a media narrative that Wake was an emerging power and Clemson had to take them down.

But that’s not how it works. Teams have to earn their respect and once they get it they keep it, sometimes for decades.

I definitely don’t think it’s 100%. There is little to no football rivalry there.

Neither team wants to get rid of a biannual 20 minute road trip.

Because the ACC doesn’t get credit for other teams being good. If Jim Phillips booked the ACC like a wrestling promoted, a down Clemson would have put Wake over and given them the trophy in Death Valley. That would have established a media narrative that Wake was an emerging power and Clemson had to take them down.

But that’s not how it works. Teams have to earn their respect and once they get it they keep it, sometimes for decades.

I know. My question was mainly rhetorical.

It takes a lot longer to earn respect than it does to lose it. Miami, VT, and FSU haven't been nearly on the level that they once were. Yet they are still seen as the most important teams in the league.

I think it's the opposite. Wake football has earned quite a bit of respect in a relatively short period of time. Miami, VT, and FSU still have respect despite achieving well below their rep for years.

Just asked my recent UNC grad daughter if she considered UVa a rival - "not really." She said she'd rather play nearby schools as rivals.

Just asked my recent UNC grad daughter if she considered UVa a rival - "not really." She said she'd rather play nearby schools as rivals.

That’s probably true but they also don’t consider Wake a rival. I don’t know anyone from UVA that considers Carolina a rival either.

Back