• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Considering Eliminating Divisions In Football

It's funny that the ACC is happy to pair Duke and WF in football because no one GAF about Duke football, but in basketball, the ACC looks to pair Duke with other schools.

Hear me out and feel free to check my math, but what if we had a conference schedule where you have seven rivals that you play every year, and rotate through the other six teams, playing one per year ? I think that would work.

Depends on who the ACC Overlords designate as your rivals...

Hey guys, please stop complaining about three easy wins every year. kthxbye.

It's funny that the ACC is happy to pair Duke and WF in football because no one GAF about Duke football, but in basketball, the ACC looks to pair Duke with other schools.

Doesn't every ACC team in basketball have two "rival" opponents that they always play home/away against? I am under the impression that is true and that Wake's two are NC St and Duke. So doesn't that make the two teams Duke has to play twice every season NC and Wake?

I will say upfront I am not necessarily opposed to getting rid of the divisions and going to this model, but don't discount how having divisions helped us get to the ACC title game in 2006. It can also play in your favor.

You can argue that. The only difference is the VT game would have been for the other ACCCG spot because Wake and VT both finished 6-2.

Divisions have hurt us because we play Clemson every year and have to outperform them to make the ACCCG. Get rid of that and we're better in any configuration. But the league is better if every team plays each other every other year.

You can argue that. The only difference is the VT game would have been for the other ACCCG spot because Wake and VT both finished 6-2.

Divisions have hurt us because we play Clemson every year and have to outperform them to make the ACCCG. Get rid of that and we're better in any configuration. But the league is better if every team plays each other every other year.

Yes, and VT beat us. Also, we didn't have to face them in the Championship Game either because GT won the Coastal. Again, I'm not opposed to the no division set up. Just pointing out that divisions can work in your favor.

With a different setup, different game plan for that VaTech game would have been in order.

I’m an early Y just for the record. I didn’t think it was that long ago when the acc started poaching teams but I suppose it was. It still feels like half the ACC teams today are “outsiders”.

That would be because they are.

Hear me out and feel free to check my math, but what if we had a conference schedule where you have seven rivals that you play every year, and rotate through the other six teams, playing one per year ? I think that would work.

That’s much better than what we have now. I’m in.

Doesn't every ACC team in basketball have two "rival" opponents that they always play home/away against? I am under the impression that is true and that Wake's two are NC St and Duke. So doesn't that make the two teams Duke has to play twice every season NC and Wake?

Every time has one cross division rival that they play every year. Ours is Duke. We play NCSU every year because they are in our division. Duke and UNC play every year because they are in the same division. State is UNC's cross-division rival.

Coach Clawson thoughts on this from his presser the other day:
- On the ACC potentially nixing divisions, "It's a catch-22. I don't want to give up our yearly game with Duke and NC State, and I'd like to play North Carolina every year. On the other hand, next year will be my ninth year as a head coach in the ACC and we've yet to play Miami. I give Jim Phillips a lot of credit, he's looking at the model, it's broken, and what we can do to fix it."

- "I think ideas like that are good, but what does it look like? If there's no divisions, but we're only playing Duke and NC State once every four years, that doesn't excite me."

Coach Clawson thoughts on this from his presser the other day:
- On the ACC potentially nixing divisions, "It's a catch-22. I don't want to give up our yearly game with Duke and NC State, and I'd like to play North Carolina every year. On the other hand, next year will be my ninth year as a head coach in the ACC and we've yet to play Miami. I give Jim Phillips a lot of credit, he's looking at the model, it's broken, and what we can do to fix it."

- "I think ideas like that are good, but what does it look like? If there's no divisions, but we're only playing Duke and NC State once every four years, that doesn't excite me."

How can the ACC be so bad at scheduling that Wake hasn't played Miami in almost 10 years?

Back