• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Considering Eliminating Divisions In Football

I'd forgotten that. But once every decade isn't much better.

I agree. Which is why I'd like to see 3 rivals and 5 opponents every other year. It's too easy and makes too much sense.

I agree. Which is why I'd like to see 3 rivals and 5 opponents every other year. It's too easy and makes too much sense.

Which is why it isn't likely to happen, unfortunately.

So the ACC championship game would still be a thing, just #1 vs #2? In a likely rematch game? What about regular season tie breakers (ie, two teams finish tied for second and have not played each other)? Any consideration for SOS? I could see brutal/easy schedules emerge. Would/could we change ND's requirements?

So the ACC championship game would still be a thing, just #1 vs #2? In a likely rematch game? What about regular season tie breakers (ie, two teams finish tied for second and have not played each other)? Any consideration for SOS? I could see brutal/easy schedules emerge. Would/could we change ND's requirements?

Good question. My guess is that you would start going down the list from #1 until you found the highest ranked common opponent between the two 2nd place teams and work from there. Just a guess.
That's why our win against NCSU was so critical this season because they held the tie-breaker due to their Clemson win.

Last edited:
Looks like there will not be a scheduling agreement among the teams of The Alliance. B1G wants to stay with nine conference games.

Give every team 3 permanent rivals. The rest of the schedule is 5 other teams in even years and 5 other teams in odd years. Rotate the home and away. Play rivals every year. Play the rest of the conference every other year. Guarantees a road trip to every ACC stadium every four years, so it's great for local fans of other teams. This would make the conference feel like a real conference.

Nothing could be better for Wake football than removing divisions and playing Duke, State, and UNC every year and playing Clemson every other year.

Back on the table.

Last edited:
Knowing how things go we’d get like State, Cuse and Louisville

If the ACC does it right (they won't), then they could switch up the rivals every four years. Every four years would be four games against rivals, and a home-home against everyone else. So rivalries don't need to be set in stone.

Perfect opportunity to kick Ga Tech out of the league.

Not now when our players could finally get to go to Atlanta every four years.

It's a 5 hour drive to get there and then an hour to get anywhere else. It's not impossible for our players to go to Atlanta for a weekend apart from a football game when all of their time is programmed.

Rivalries are gone because college sports as we once knew it is gone. Trying to match up rivals is just futile and a thing of the past.

If they want a free sightseeing trip to Atlanta with some free time, win more games and get an invitation to the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. You get to go to the aquarium, World of Coke, CFB HOF, King Center, whatever.

someone tell them that atlanta is a city in decline

Rivalries are gone because college sports as we once knew it is gone. Trying to match up rivals is just futile and a thing of the past.

Yes, college sports have changed, but can't go so far to say that rivalries are gone. WF at UNC was a big deal last year in football. So was State at WF. In every sport, it means more when WF plays UNC, State and Duke. So dumb when WF went a long period without playing UNC in football. Further, it's dumb that WF doesn't play them twice in basketball (may have cost WF an NCAA bid). Playing those local rivals mean more to the students, alums, fans, than playing Pitt, BC or Miami. Will always be that way.

Game results and team success are no longer based on anything but who bought the best players through NIL. So there are no more rivalries. “Oh your team beat mine? Well no shit they beat us. Your alumni spent more to bring in the best players. Why would I give a fuck about losing that way? Uh yeah, congrats on winning the game or whatever.”

Schools were rivals because of proximity or history or because maybe winning meant we got a better choice of players because we have such a great school and the kids wanted to be a part of that. Or because our campus is better. Or because the kids/players saw the same great things in our school just like we as alumni/fans did. All that is gone.

Game results and team success are no longer based on anything but who bought the best players through NIL. So there are no more rivalries. “Oh your team beat mine? Well no shit they beat us. Your alumni spent more to bring in the best players. Why would I give a fuck about losing that way? Uh yeah, congrats on winning the game or whatever.”

Schools were rivals because of proximity or history or because maybe winning meant we got a better choice of players because we have such a great school and the kids wanted to be a part of that. Or because our campus is better. Or because the kids/players saw the same great things in our school just like we as alumni/fans did. All that is gone.

OK. Guess you are done with college sports. I enjoyed your posts. Personally, don't agree.

WF is off one of its best football seasons in school history. Barring injury, looking like WF is headed for another next season. Yes, this has happened and will persist in the NIL and transfer portal age. Hmmm...

Also, expect WF at State on November 5 and UNC at WF on November 12 to be among the top 3 hyped games for WF football this season. Sorry that you will miss those games..

Back