• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Considering Eliminating Divisions In Football

WF played UNC first

UNC and UVA have played continuously since 1919

WF and UNC did not play in 1943 - that was the only miss from 1919 until 2005 when divisions took away the rivalry (and the ACC prioritized things other than UNC-WF)

UNC has now played UVA more than WF, and soon will have played Duke and NC State more than WF

Not particularly. UNC would much rather play UVA that us, and UVA would rather play UNC.

I assume we get Duke/State/BC.

The ideal situation from this fan's point of view is that UNC's permanent partners would be dUKe, Wake and UVA. I don't know why anyone would choose to play no-win games against State. If you lose, you lose. If you win, you still have to suffer their fanbase/media. For my money, State can wander off to whichever conference their next fever dream desires. I will help them pack.

The ideal situation from this fan's point of view is that UNC's permanent partners would be dUKe, Wake and UVA. I don't know why anyone would choose to play no-win games against State. If you lose, you lose. If you win, you still have to suffer their fanbase/media. For my money, State can wander off to whichever conference their next fever dream desires. I will help them pack.

Not exaggerating, here in NC the size of the fan base and media for UNC is at least 5X that of NCSU. Like Wake, most NCSU fans are alumni; UNC has the bandwagon market (which is the most obnoxious IMO) wrapped up.

Not exaggerating, here in NC the size of the fan base and media for UNC is at least 5X that of NCSU. Like Wake, most NCSU fans are alumni; UNC has the bandwagon market (which is the most obnoxious IMO) wrapped up.

Agree in basketball, but there isn't the same bandwagon following for UNC football.

There's a reason no one wants to jump on State's bandwagon. The ones still on it? They are the most miserable people on Earth.

The Athletic proposes their rivalry set up.

https://theathletic.com/3309051/2022/05/13/acc-football-schedule-college-football/

Each beat writer goes into detail about their logic. All three said the hardest game to leave on the cutting room floor was Wake-UNC.

Andy Bitter — Virginia Tech beat writer - Wake Forest: Duke, NC State, Louisville

Manny Navarro — Miami beat writer - Wake Forest: NC State, Duke, Clemson

Grace Raynor — Clemson beat writer - Wake Forest: NC State, Duke, Georgia Tech

If we can't get UNC (which I doubt we will), I'd prefer to have Virginia, Georgia Tech, or Virginia Tech as the 3rd rival.

Ga Tech will attempt to leave the conference if they get Wake. And that's fine with me.

Georgia Tech as WF rival? Army is a bigger rival than GT. If GT ends up as one of WF's rivals, then the ACC just picked everyone else's rivals first and GT and WF were left with openings.

Who would be UVA’s 3 rivals??? UNC, VT and…..? In a scenario where we don’t get UNC then UVA is the obvious choice.

I will also add that for football most UNC fans I know care about us more than they care about Duke.

Georgia Tech as WF rival? Army is a bigger rival than GT. If GT ends up as one of WF's rivals, then the ACC just picked everyone else's rivals first and GT and WF were left with openings.

Pilch, c'mon man. You're old enough to remember beyond the division era. Also Tech is one of the closest campuses to Wake outside of NC and has a large alumni base.

Pilch, c'mon man. You're old enough to remember beyond the division era. Also Tech is one of the closest campuses to Wake outside of NC and has a large alumni base.

WF is more than 300 miles from GT. Yes, it's closer than BC or Miami, but the campuses are far from close. VT is about 200 miles closer to WF than VT and UVA is 100 miles closer. GT wasn't an original member of the ACC there is no rivalry or tradition between WF and GT.

WF is more than 300 miles from GT. Yes, it's closer than BC or Miami, but the campuses are far from close. VT is about 200 miles closer to WF than VT and UVA is 100 miles closer. GT wasn't an original member of the ACC there is no rivalry or tradition between WF and GT.

Yes. That's why I said Virginia, VT, and GT. Those are the three closest outside of NC.

By the way, Wake and Tech have played 31 times including the 2006 ACC Championship and every year from 1982 to 2003. That's the 11th most overall and 5th most of any ACC team not in NC behind Clemson, UVa, FSU, and VT.

Who are your top three rival choices outside of NC?

Last edited:
State, Duke, Clemson,

If no, Clemson, then VT,

If no VT, UVA.

After that, they all suck.

Well Clemson is definitely closer than GT

True. I guess I'm just not counting Clemson in this discussion because I don't want Clemson as a rival and it's highly unlikely to happen because they should get FSU, GT, and Miami or State.

True. I guess I'm just not counting Clemson in this discussion because I don't want Clemson as a rival and it's highly unlikely to happen because they should get FSU, GT, and Miami or State.

I don't disagree that Clemson should get FSU, GT, and Miami.

If that happens, Clemson will arguably have the two biggest draws among ACC games every year (possibly excluding a Notre Dame at say Miami), and if I am Clemson I am wondering why I am splitting the TV contract into equal parts every year, as David Hale alludes to here in his doomthread:

Last edited:
Well, Wake is almost definitely going to get one of Syracuse, BC, or Louisville. Just plan on it.

Also, this is the ACC we're talking about, so the sheer level of institutional incompetence should be considered.

I don't disagree that Clemson should get FSU, GT, and Miami.

If that happens, Clemson will arguably have the two biggest draws among ACC games every year (possibly excluding a Notre Dame at say Miami), and if I am Clemson I am wondering why I am splitting the TV contract into equal parts every year, as David Hale alludes to here in his doomthread:

OK, I understand the theory. Clemson carries the banner for the ACC in football. They draw the numbers; so, they will want a bigger piece of the pie.

If they don't get it, they go the SEC?

Yes, that would suck (and that would likely lead for the ACC to crater), but that also might suck for Clemson, despite their cut of the "billions". OTOH, they could go to the Big 10. So, Clemson is going to play Minnesota and Purdue every year? Not denying the increasing chatter that the ACC is eventually going to get swallowed up, and WF will likely be among the schools kicked to the curb, but be careful what you wish for. Clemson (and FSU when they were good) has a pretty sweet deal right now as they will never be in a situation with a more frequent path to the elite level of college football.

Back