• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next 3 Games Decide Our Season

Right now there’s 1.5 games between 1st and 6th. We are 1 game above 6th.

Exactly. There are currently 4 teams with 9 conference wins, 2 with 10. Likely that 4 teams win 12 conference games or more. Based on our weak OOC schedule I think we need to win 13 conference games to be safely in, barring a conference tournament run.

The team surpassed my expectations long, long ago. If we lose every game left the season is a success in my book. Call that LOWF if you want, but Forbes is way ahead of schedule and we should all be thrilled with the job he's done. Pay him. . . .

The team surpassed my expectations long, long ago. If we lose every game left the season is a success in my book. Call that LOWF if you want, but Forbes is way ahead of schedule and we should all be thrilled with the job he's done. Pay him. . . .
Yes its LOWF

We have won 7 of 9 all by at least 8 points 5/9 on road. Being on the bubble would be a major disappointment.

Last edited:
Obviously, at the beginning of the season, most of us would have jumped at having 20-22 wins on the season and being on the bubble.
But, at this point, (20 wins with 6 regular season games remaining, 4 of those at home and at least 3-4 in which we will be obvious favorites) anything less than 25 wins after the ACC tourney will be a disappointment.

- 0-3: we go back to being a bubble team, need to win at least 1 ACC tournament game to make the NCAA tournament

- 1-2: we tread water, 10th -11th seed

- 2-1: maybe move up the seed line to 7th, probably ranked top 25, best regular season since 08-09

What are your predictions?

Obviously, at the beginning of the season, most of us would have jumped at having 20-22 wins on the season and being on the bubble.
But, at this point, (20 wins with 6 regular season games remaining, 4 of those at home and at least 3-4 in which we will be obvious favorites) anything less than 25 wins after the ACC tourney will be a disappointment.

That's a pretty silly way to look at it. Surely you are not saying our first 20(+) win season in over a decade is a disappointment because you decided to move the goalpost 3/4 way through the season. By all measures we have already outperformed even optimistic expectations in year 2.

By your logic we could come in preseason favorites to win the league and at this point be sub .500 but win our last three games and it wouldn't be a disappointing season because we changed our expectations halfway through.

We spent most of whatever buffer zone we had today. I won’t feel comfortable about the NCAAs with anything less than 14-6 in the ACC. Our nonconference SOS is simply too awful to think otherwise. Need to go 5-1 to close it out.

In 2003 we started the season unranked. We went on to win the ACC reg season. Got ranked 8th at the end of the season. Didn't make the ACCT final and were upset by Auburn in the 2nd round of the NCAAT.

I think there was a lot of disappointment with the end of that season, despite doing better in the regular than anyone expected.

If we don't finish well, and somehow miss the NCAAT, this would have been a waste of the best season we've had in 12 years, that would be disappointing.

However, a HUGE win on the road at Duke on Tuesday night - ticket punched!! Amirite??

If we get to 13 in the conference, we should be dancing and a very tough out as I think we have the talent to play with anyone in the country. If we are "playing" well.... Let's get it started at Duke!

However, a HUGE win on the road at Duke on Tuesday night - ticket punched!! Amirite??

If we get to 13 in the conference, we should be dancing and a very tough out as I think we have the talent to play with anyone in the country. If we are "playing" well.... Let's get it started at Duke!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!? Who is with me?!

Last edited:
At present there are six teams that have gained some separation from the rest of the conference. Wake is tied with Virginia for fifth place. I have not seen any projections with six ACC teams going to the Dance. Unlike Wake, the other five teams are on winning streaks. They are pose a threat if they keep winning. I like this team and believe they are capable of inclusion into the field, but they will need to earn it. A finish of fourth place or higher would be of benefit.

Yesterday, Coach Forbes clearly pointed out that the Deacs haven't won anything yet. A victory over Duke is just one more win. The Deacons need to keep winning or they could be disappointed. Miami, Notre Dame and Wake Forest were all picked for the bottom third of the conference. The selection committee might not want three Cinderella stories from a weaker than usual ACC at the Dance.

1 out of 3 is a must win now.

Edit: Losing to Miami at home with a 13 pt first half lead.... :mad:

Last edited:
It’s February 16th, we are 20-7, 10-6 in the ACC and currently we are tied for 5th place

Remaining games of 3 game stretch:
Notre Dame [Net 55, QUAD 2] - Sat 02/19

Currently we are projected as a 10th seed

- 0-3: we go back to being a bubble team, need to win at least 1 ACC tournament game to make the NCAA tournament

- 1-2: we tread water, 10th -11th seed

What are your predictions?

After Notre Dame our remaining ACC games probably won’t help our tournament resume very much since we are already projected to make the tournament, we basically have to win out if we don’t beat Notre Dame:

@ Clemson (Net #92)Wed 02/23 [QUAD 2]
Louisville (Net #127) Sat 02/26 [QUAD 3]
NC State (Net #129)Wed 03/02 [QUAD 3]

Maybe us winning @Clemson as a quad 2 makes up for one of the 3 losses, but Notre Dame(55) or Miami(67) would have been better wins for our resume.

Last edited:
Back