• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 26: Miami Hurricanes @ LJVM - Saturday 3 pm - Bally

Don't really understand why basketball doesn't use flexible TV scheduling like football.

Numbers game ...

Football = 120 schools ... max 60 games ...
Basketball = 320 schools ... max 160 games ...

Logistical nightmare to try and be flexible with basketball. It is what it is .. football rules nowadays.

Tell me you don't regularly attend basketball games without saying you don't regularly attend basketball games......

I can't believe there are people out there who are advocating that basketball TV scheduling becomes MORE like football TV scheduling. It's a pain that the TV networks can hold start times 12 days (or 6 days) up until a FB game date, absolutely no chance I would want that model creeping into basketball scheduling in the future (and yes, I understand that 90% of college sports schedules are basically designed for the benefit of TV networks vs. in-person attendance these days).

You wouldn't have to change the start times to still put in some flexibility into basketball TV scheduling.

The big issue is that the ACC has many games on a network that is excluded from a good portion of its fanbase.

On July 21, 2016, ESPN announced a 20-year extension of its ACC rights, and that it would launch a new ACC cable network, also known as ACC Network, in 2019, with its accompanying digital platform ACC Network Extra launching in the 2016–17 season. As part of the establishment of the channel, ESPN acquired Raycom Sports' previous package of games.[10][11][12]

"Raycom Sports continues to produce select ACC games, however instead of being syndicated to OTA networks, these games are syndicated to regional sports networks under the ACC on Regional Sports Networks branding."

Not sure how you flex anything when two groups are not contractually working together.

I'd suggest that some of these Raycom produced games would never make it on air if left to ESPN.

On July 21, 2016, ESPN announced a 20-year extension of its ACC rights, and that it would launch a new ACC cable network, also known as ACC Network, in 2019, with its accompanying digital platform ACC Network Extra launching in the 2016–17 season. As part of the establishment of the channel, ESPN acquired Raycom Sports' previous package of games.[10][11][12]

"Raycom Sports continues to produce select ACC games, however instead of being syndicated to OTA networks, these games are syndicated to regional sports networks under the ACC on Regional Sports Networks branding."

Not sure how you flex anything when two groups are not contractually working together.

I'd suggest that some of these Raycom produced games would never make it on air if left to ESPN.

This is no different than football. We have games on RSN. CBS and ESPN have to fight over SEC games.

You wouldn't have to change the start times to still put in some flexibility into basketball TV scheduling.

The big issue is that the ACC has many games on a network that is excluded from a good portion of its fanbase.

So where do you suggest moving it in this fantasy world of flexible scheduling? Because up until about 3-4 months ago, ACC Network was not offered on the largest cable provider in the country (i.e., excluded from a good portion of its fanbase). ESPNU is not on many basic cable packages. ESPN/espn2 games start at noon/2pm/4pm, so can't move it there.....

Not as easy as it sounds to just start moving games around a few weeks before the game.......the Bally's situation is certainly not ideal, but it's available if you want it bad enough. No one ever said "cutting the cord" was going to be painless.

So where do you suggest moving it in this fantasy world of flexible scheduling? Because up until about 3-4 months ago, ACC Network was not offered on the largest cable provider in the country (i.e., excluded from a good portion of its fanbase). ESPNU is not on many basic cable packages. ESPN/espn2 games start at noon/2pm/4pm, so can't move it there.....

Not as easy as it sounds to just start moving games around a few weeks before the game.......the Bally's situation is certainly not ideal, but it's available if you want it bad enough. No one ever said "cutting the cord" was going to be painless.

This. People who cut the cord and then complain about not having the same options as cable are baffling to me. You are paying less money so you are getting less channels.

Over 750 students will be at the game this weekend. Hopefully the fans do their part as well.

We should call it like it is. ACC contract with Bally is a fuck up. Swofford fucked all this up so bad, it's hard to get your arms around it. Shitty contracts across the board. It's really quite astounding.

Jerry Palm (not that he’s the best) has Wake the first team out of the bracket. Miami is second to last team in. This game would be a big boost to the resume and a deterrent to another team fighting for those last spots.

What does 750 students look like, is it the full bottom alottment? How many came to duke/unc where it was a pretty heavy overflow up top?

I recall that the SEC used to have Raycom games as well. What happened to theirs? I'm sure some are on SECN, but ACC has ACCN + RSN.

This. People who cut the cord and then complain about not having the same options as cable are baffling to me. You are paying less money so you are getting less channels.

You actually have far more options. I can't imagine going back to cable when most of the best new shows aren't available without adding on additional non-cable options.

Jerry Palm (not that he’s the best) has Wake the first team out of the bracket. Miami is second to last team in. This game would be a big boost to the resume and a deterrent to another team fighting for those last spots.

Lunardi has Wake at #8 and Miami as #11 one of the last four in (along with UNC).

there are 112 brackets in the bracket matrix project. wake is in 110. Palm and another bracket that hasn't been updated since last week.

I recall that the SEC used to have Raycom games as well. What happened to theirs? I'm sure some are on SECN, but ACC has ACCN + RSN.

The SEC decided not to sell any of their inventory to Raycom when their previous contracts expired around 2008/2009 (they knew that the SECN was probably coming on board soon). ESPN did sell a syndicated package (usually one game a week) to Raycom up until 2014 when the SEC Network launched. At that point, ESPN promised them that there would never be any need for it for Football going forward (games would be covered by ESPN/espn2/ESPNU/SECN).

The ACC had already signed their deal with Raycom (for RSN) games prior to the ACCN coming on board, so unless they (i.e. ESPN) want to "buy back" those games, the contract will run its course.

What does 750 students look like, is it the full bottom alottment? How many came to duke/unc where it was a pretty heavy overflow up top?

Duke/UNC had over 2,000 students so 750 will have all of downstairs full and will trickle upstairs.

If our students don't show the fuck up for this Miami game we can consider Forbes good as gone.

I am expecting Forbes to take the Georgia job shortly after our NCAA Turney departure.

Back