• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

The Big Televenteen gives tOSU 1 or, in a good year, 2 competitive games a season. The rest are garbage blowouts.

And said draft experts are the same draft experts who had Tua as the second coming before injury and even after injury resulted in him getting picked ahead of Herbert. This is, again, in addition to the other 100+ prior combined years of overrating tOSU and Bama QBs who don't do shit in the NFL.

B1G Top 25 Teams by final AP poll.

2021 - 4 (3 in top 10)
2020 - 4 (3 in top 12)
2019 - 6 (5 in top 15)
2018 - 5
2017 - 5 (3 in the top 8)

tigerswood, I want to take this moment to thank you for not shilling for the Big Ten like Biff shills for the SEC.

My favorite was Ole Miss fans at the College World Series chanting "SEC-SEC" against a future SEC opponent in Oklahoma.

If so, I hope Tepper is smart enough to cut bait if this team is 4-7 after those 11 games, especially if CMC is injured. Fire Rhule and just start Corral the rest of the season. Move up the draft order and keep the 4th and give up the 5th.

Mayfield's new deal apparently has some incentives. It would be shitty to bench him if he is within reach of them despite the team's record.

Mayfield's new deal apparently has some incentives. It would be shitty to bench him if he is within reach of them despite the team's record.

The goal is to win games now and in the future, not make the QB more money. If Baker is 4-7, he's probably not the guy and it's worth it to move on from him.

The goal is to win games now and in the future, not make the QB more money. If Baker is 4-7, he's probably not the guy and it's worth it to move on from him.

I don't disagree with you about wanting to see Corral once you're out of playoff contention. But let's just say it's not in Baker's personality to take kindly to that, and that's when he becomes a problem. That said, if you protect him, and McCaffrey can stay healthy, 9-10 wins should be attainable.

i think the worst case scenario is a mediocre season from Baker starting every game, no significant PT for Corral, and like 7-9 wins

i think the worst case scenario is a mediocre season from Baker starting every game, no significant PT for Corral, and like 7-9 wins

I agree. Benching a 4-7 Baker would be a way to avoid such a worst case scenario.

You guys seem a lot more confident that we're going to see Corral this year than I am. We finally have a decent O-Line on paper, so I think the Mayfield move is to try to win now, but try Darnold again with half a chance if Mayfield flounders.

I'd be amazed if we could garner anything about our 3rd round, rookie QB at the tail end of what would be a lost season. It just seems unfair. I think we're far more interested in giving Mayfield and Darnold their final chance than Corral his first under poor conditions.

Last edited:
I'm not "confident." I'm saying if Baker sucks, they need to move on to Corral to protect the 4th rounder and move up in the draft.

I doubt Darnold is on the Week 1 roster.

Which means - because this is the Panthers - this is what will certainly happen. Oh, and Rhule gets retained.

Corral should sit the entire year and learn. Baker and Darnold should be battling for the starting job this season...Baker should never play 12 games to keep it a 5th, just run with Darnold after that. neither of these guys will turn the panthers into a playoff team this year. if Baker shows a lot of potential, then could consider bringing him back, but i think they clear house after this season and draft a QB next year.

what a fucking mess

I think I'm more excited for these preseason games than I have been since Cam's rookie year. We have a legit battle at quarterback, plus a promising rookie. We just drafted a franchise tackle, and I can't wait to see him in action. I'm also very interested to see how the depth chart progresses at WR and RB. On defense, I think Brandon Smith was a very underrated pick and think he'll have an immediate impact.

Corral should sit the entire year and learn. Baker and Darnold should be battling for the starting job this season...Baker should never play 12 games to keep it a 5th, just run with Darnold after that. neither of these guys will turn the panthers into a playoff team this year. if Baker shows a lot of potential, then could consider bringing him back, but i think they clear house after this season and draft a QB next year.

what a fucking mess

if that's the case - then we should throw corral in and see if he's got any potential

13, it does look exciting on paper. You’re right. Just wish I felt excited.

if that's the case - then we should throw corral in and see if he's got any potential

IDk, we have Corral under contract for four years and Baker and Darnold are in their last year. Not sure about the HC, most likely gone. Can't really rely on McCaffrey to play more than a handful of games. i just don't see the need to test him yet. i would let him sit and get coached for the year.

might be a safe strategy, but we don't have to make any decisions on him right now. if they don't think they will be able to get one of the top QBs next year, then i am ok to see if he can start next year but i have heard (i should say read) that he is raw and needs time.

what a fucking mess

I'm pretty sure Corral started at least 2 seasons at Ole Miss, so this isn't a Lance situation. If he plays well in the preseason, and the team starts to struggle, I wouldn't hesitate putting him in. Technically, it is a preseason battle between Darnold and Mayfield, but let's face it, we pretty much know who is going to win that battle. I think Darnold gets traded before the trade deadline to a team whose QB gets injured for the year. And the trouble with drafting a QB next year is essentially Mayfield probably guarantees you're drafting in the 10-20 range, which is not the range to draft a great QB prospect. So the choice is more likely going to be to pay a Cousins/Mayfield/Jimmy G in the $30mil/per neighborhood or do something outside the box.

My outside the box idea would be to bring in a Mariota or Huntley for a third of that $$ and go all Ravens/Eagles. Also sign Bryce Perkins, who will also be a UFA, so you have 3 running QBs on the cheap, and then spend your $$ on other parts of the roster. Better and more entertaining than being cap strapped with Mayfield or Cousins because there is a ceiling with those guys.

I mean do y’all think we roll into the season with three QB’s on the roster?

We can’t slide Corral to the practice squad because someone will sign him off the wire before we can stash him.

Darnold is done here.

Back