• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

Good question. I think if Darnold doesn’t beat out Mayfield he will get traded soon after the season starts. I guess I say that because it makes common sense but I’m not sure it does if they can’t get anything for him. Which they probably won’t. So I just went in a circle. Wth

I mean do y’all think we roll into the season with three QB’s on the roster?

We can’t slide Corral to the practice squad because someone will sign him off the wire before we can stash him.

Darnold is done here.

Not uncommon for teams to keep 3 QBs on the roster during the season and only dress out 2 for each game.

PJ Walker will be the only casualty in the QB room.

if we cut Darnold, is it just a dead cap hit for this season?

Not uncommon for teams to keep 3 QBs on the roster during the season and only dress out 2 for each game.

PJ Walker will be the only casualty in the QB room.

I think this. Now Darnold might get traded at some point, but I do think the starting job is up for grabs. If Darnold starts, IDK.

if we cut Darnold, is it just a dead cap hit for this season?

yeah. panthers do not save any money cutting darnold. $18 million cap hit either way unless he is traded.

however the browns had to pay $10 million to trade baker, and baker agreed to a $3 million pay cut just to get traded, so the panthers would undoubtably have to pay most of darnolds salary in a trade anyway

I think this. Now Darnold might get traded at some point, but I do think the starting job is up for grabs. If Darnold starts, IDK.

i think baker is an average to slightly below average starting nfl QB. darnold is maybe the worst, would be shocked if baker doesn't wrap this up easily

yeah. panthers do not save any money cutting darnold. $18 million cap hit either way unless he is traded.

however the browns had to pay $10 million to trade baker, and baker agreed to a $3 million pay cut just to get traded, so the panthers would undoubtably have to pay most of darnolds salary in a trade anyway

well if we're paying either way - i could us cutting darnold and just rolling with corral and baker with PJ on the practice squad

i think baker is an average to slightly below average starting nfl QB. darnold is maybe the worst, would be shocked if baker doesn't wrap this up easily

Darnold will get his shot as they try to save face for that terrible trade.

It makes sense to have a 3rd QB when the 3rd QB is a rookie project. I'm just not sure it makes sense to have Darnold as that 2nd QB. If Darnold has a good preseason, I could see some team wanting him to replace an injured backup for a conditional 5th or 6th with Tepper picking up the tab.

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Welcome Baker Mayfield (conditional 2024 4th/5th)

I really don’t understand the Mayfield trade - he is a mediocre bottom tier NFL starter competing with an even worse quarterback. What was the point? At his very best Mayfield is average. Now we have two backup caliber QBs fighting to be the starter. Seems like a stupid situation for an franchise to put itself in.

You explained it. Mediocre to below average > worst starter in the league over the last four seasons.

Rhule is trying to save his job. Tepper is trying to finally get some momentum in his fourth season. Fit actually made some good moves to assemble a good OL. They figure it’s worth maybe a 4th to make that more likely to happen. If it works, Mayfield is the QB of the future. If not, maybe it’s Corral or whoever the new coach wants.

We need McAdoo to have a press conference and tell us who the starting quarterback is.

You explained it. Mediocre to below average > worst starter in the league over the last four seasons.

Rhule is trying to save his job. Tepper is trying to finally get some momentum in his fourth season. Fit actually made some good moves to assemble a good OL. They figure it’s worth maybe a 4th to make that more likely to happen. If it works, Mayfield is the QB of the future. If not, maybe it’s Corral or whoever the new coach wants.

Is he though? Is that really our plan? If he plays well this season we’re going to outbid the rest of the NFL for a half donk QB?

I agree that Mayfield is better than Darnold, but neither of them is ELIte. McAdoo runs a relatively complex west coast system that I don't think Mayfield has ever played anything close to. Darnold may be at a talent disadvantage, but he has been practicing in this system for a few months now whereas Mayfield is coming in at the last minute before training camp. It is obviously ultimately Mayfield's job, but they may think Darnold is a better option to start the season depending on how quickly Mayfield can catch up.

I agree that Mayfield is better than Darnold, but neither of them is ELIte. McAdoo runs a relatively complex west coast system that I don't think Mayfield has ever played anything close to. Darnold may be at a talent disadvantage, but he has been practicing in this system for a few months now whereas Mayfield is coming in at the last minute before training camp. It is obviously ultimately Mayfield's job, but they may think Darnold is a better option to start the season depending on how quickly Mayfield can catch up.

I personally think Mayfield could be better than folks here give him credit for IF he can come in and get the players to believe he is about the team and not himself. Let's remember he played for the CLOWNS who were historically worse franchise in history and got them to playoffs. in '20 he threw for close to 3600 yards and 26/8 TD to INTs which was good enough to put him in top half in the leauge not near the bottom. He had 2 great games to start last year before he tore his labrum, so I think the jury is still out on the young man. At least moreso than with Darnold who quite frankly appears to not be able to tie his shoes at this point.

So would be very surprised to not see Baker get the nod as the combo of him and McCaffrey out of backfield should make for some fun as Baker definitely has some shiftiness although you don't want him taking many hits but still think it could be a very dynamic duo.

I personally think Mayfield could be better than folks here give him credit for IF he can come in and get the players to believe he is about the team and not himself. Let's remember he played for the CLOWNS who were historically worse franchise in history and got them to playoffs. in '20 he threw for close to 3600 yards and 26/8 TD to INTs which was good enough to put him in top half in the leauge not near the bottom. He had 2 great games to start last year before he tore his labrum, so I think the jury is still out on the young man. At least moreso than with Darnold who quite frankly appears to not be able to tie his shoes at this point.

So would be very surprised to not see Baker get the nod as the combo of him and McCaffrey out of backfield should make for some fun as Baker definitely has some shiftiness although you don't want him taking many hits but still think it could be a very dynamic duo.

^^^^ This. Plus I'll add that Mayfield needs some fucking stability. This will be his 4th head coach in as many seasons. That's crazy.

Back