• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

seems like a darnold for baker swap is good for everybody

Or good for nobody.

But for real, I don’t see why the Browns would want Darnold or any QB in a trade unless things go way downhill with Watson. They are already fine at backup QB with Brissett.

Spending a 2nd and 4th on one QB, then spending next year’s 3rd to trade up to pick a QB, then trading for another QB would be the height of stupidity. Rhule put his chips on Darnold. Deal with it. Don’t waste anymore draft capital.

Depends on the trade. If it is a Darnold for Baker swap then that's great for us. Darnold and a pick for Baker then nah.

However, it is a Darnold Baker swap with us taking on a part of Darnold's contract with our existing cap space then why not?

Nah. Now that you drafted Corral, I don't see any reason to bring in Baker. So I see Baker eventually in Seattle. If Corral is ready, you start him day 1, but the likelihood of that is probably low. You're stuck with Darnold financially, so you probably start him and then put in Corral midway through the season to see what you have there because then that will influence what you do next offseason in FA and in the draft. But either way, both Rhule and Darnold will be gone next offseason.

You don't see why we would trade for a proven starter because we drafted QB in round 3?

You don't see why we would trade for a proven starter because we drafted QB in round 3?

First, why would Cleveland want Darnold when they already have Brissett, who is at least as serviceable as Darnold. And Robbie Anderson already said no to Baker. The guy has been a locker room cancer with a huge chip on his shoulder. Had you not traded back up to take Corral in the late 3rd, then I could see trading for Baker. But after you traded away more draft capital to go get Corral, if I'm Tepper, I want to see that guy on the field at some point this year to see what you have in him. If you were to trade for Baker, Baker would have a hissy fit when you start Corral in week 11.

Southern lawyers file lawsuit. Should be pretty good stuff with the County suing the City. Suit states that the City failed in its obligation.

Hey the Browns, you have NO leverage. The Panthers aren't even sure they want Baker on the team and 30 other teams feel pretty much the same way.

It's starting to look like Deshaun could get suspended for the whole season now with more allegations coming in. Maybe the Browns hold on to Baker, although that relationship between Mayfield and the Browns organization/players may be too far gone for him to be an effective player.

It's starting to look like Deshaun could get suspended for the whole season now with more allegations coming in. Maybe the Browns hold on to Baker, although that relationship between Mayfield and the Browns organization/players may be too far gone for him to be an effective player.

If he is suspended for all or most of the season, I see a 3 team trade with Baker exiting Cleveland and the Browns getting Jimmy G. There is no reason for the Browns to rush and do anything until they know Watson's fate. I'm guessing his fate is a floor of 6 games and a ceiling of 17. TV's talking heads continue to talk about how bad this is for the Browns, and it probably means they go nowhere this season. But they'll be SB contenders for the next few after that.

If he is suspended for all or most of the season, I see a 3 team trade with Baker exiting Cleveland and the Browns getting Jimmy G. There is no reason for the Browns to rush and do anything until they know Watson's fate. I'm guessing his fate is a floor of 6 games and a ceiling of 17. TV's talking heads continue to talk about how bad this is for the Browns, and it probably means they go nowhere this season. But they'll be SB contenders for the next few after that.

meh - i predict that the watson trade is a disaster and hampers the browns until the deal is over

Cville has been very quick to sweep everything under the rug with Watson. When the allegations came out, he continually brushed them off as a hit campaign, yada yada. Now it's that yeah he might be suspended but they'll be SB contenders for sure. We have no idea how he will play since it might be like 2 full seasons before he lines up under center. What will his psyche be? Plus, it's the damn Browns.

meh - i predict that the watson trade is a disaster and hampers the browns until the deal is over

Most he gets suspended for is this year. And really, as a practical matter, any number of games > 8 means the Browns won't be a playoff team this year. Whatever you think of Watson personally, he and Watt were the only reasons the Texans got to those last 2 playoff games after BOB gutted that roster. I think he's still a top 5 QB and would put him behind Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen and maybe Burrow. Cleveland has 1 of the best OLs in the game, 2 good RBs and an above average D. They will be a SB contender when he can finally play.

Most he gets suspended for is this year. And really, as a practical matter, any number of games > 8 means the Browns won't be a playoff team this year. Whatever you think of Watson personally, he and Watt were the only reasons the Texans got to those last 2 playoff games after BOB gutted that roster. I think he's still a top 5 QB and would put him behind Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen and maybe Burrow. Cleveland has 1 of the best OLs in the game, 2 good RBs and an above average D. They will be a SB contender when he can finally play.

And he won't have played in 2 years. If he gets suspended for this year, his age and 2-year hiatus will be generally in line with Mike Vick's, who was a shell of his former self when he came back. Vick going to prison is different than Watson working out wherever he is, but time away and fan protest/fury when he does suit up will be similar for him to deal with. To expect him to be a top-5 QB, which was arguable to begin with even before the time away, when he comes back is ridiculous.

Cville has been very quick to sweep everything under the rug with Watson. When the allegations came out, he continually brushed them off as a hit campaign, yada yada. Now it's that yeah he might be suspended but they'll be SB contenders for sure. We have no idea how he will play since it might be like 2 full seasons before he lines up under center. What will his psyche be? Plus, it's the damn Browns.

This is true. I didn't trust Buzbee 1 bit and thought the Texans engineered this with Buzbee. I still don't like Buzbee but now also can't stand a lot of Hardin's comments. And over time, I've believed more that Watson is really in trouble in a couple of these cases if he can't settle them all. That said, you can't deny Watson's talent on the field. And I don't buy the credo that just because they sucked their 1st 20 years that Cleveland will suck forever. Their roster with Watson is 1 of the best rosters in the league. And as a Ravens fan, I was devastated when he was traded to our division. I wanted him in the NFC. So did Tepper.

And he won't have played in 2 years. If he gets suspended for this year, his age and 2-year hiatus will be generally in line with Mike Vick's, who was a shell of his former self when he came back. Vick going to prison is different than Watson working out wherever he is, but time away and fan protest/fury when he does suit up will be similar for him to deal with. To expect him to be a top-5 QB, which was arguable to begin with even before the time away, when he comes back is ridiculous.

Vick arguably had his best two years in the first two years starting at Philly post being in the clink.

Back