• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

4f0ee43b1a3aedfa2cd45cbed9a56238.jpg

No shit ESPN

My take on that alert was if Mayfield isn't better than Darnold (and Corral) why bother?

Mayfield revenge game to open this season against the Brownies in CLT. A month ago, the Books opened the game at Cleveland -4; it's now Cleveland -1. When Watson's suspension gets confirmed, Panthers will be favored.

Mayfield revenge game to open this season against the Brownies in CLT. A month ago, the Books opened the game at Cleveland -4; it's now Cleveland -1. When Watson's suspension gets confirmed, Panthers will be favored.

i put some money on panthers -4 a month or two ago

seemed inevitable that watson wouldn't be playing

My primary Bake Mayfield memory is him laying an egg in the second half of the Rose Bowl.

Humble yourself. Humble yourself.

That was FULR who laid that egg in the second half, a common characteristic of his teams in Norman.

I get Bama and tOSU don't have great QB histories since Namath and Stabler. But it's stupid to say that, because a school doesn't have a great QB history, that means this current QB can't be a good pro. Both Young and Stroud looked great in their 1st seasons starting. If they continue that level of play, they will probably be the top 2 picks, likely going to Atlanta and Seattle (assuming they really do start Geno Smith this year). And yeah, Young is on the small side, but both of those guys were way better in their 1st college seasons than any of this past year's QB class and probably better than Baker long term. Baker is what he is. He's a gritty competitor and overachiever type. He's short, has only average arm strength and isn't particularly athletic, yet he can be a solid pro QB when healthy and protected by a good line and with decent WRs. If the OL play improves, Carolina has the skilled players to make this work with a healthy Baker. I just wouldn't pay him $35-40mil/per on a long term deal.

It doesn't mean they can't be a good pro, but it means they are highly unlikely to be a good pro. It has been proven over and over and over that, no matter how good a tOSU or Bama QB looks in college, they are system QBs. They play behind NFL-caliber O-lines with NFL-caliber RBs and (in Bama's case) NFL-caliber WRs, while their opposition is at a significant team talent disadvantage. And in tOSU's case, they play against absolute trash competition for the majority of their games. So virtually all of their production is overinflated. Even if they have the physical tools to succeed in the NFL, which clearly most of them have not, they are obviously still affected by the years of overall team superiority from college and cannot carry a team like a successful NFL QB needs to be able to do. Or they get blind drunk and wander out into moving highway traffic.

Either of Young or Stroud may end up being fine NFL QBs. But combined there is over 100 years of consistent evidence to prove my points otherwise. So while I might take one of them in a later round, there is no way in hell I am losing on purpose just to maybe get the opportunity to pick one of them. They are a crapshoot at best.

Hey our odds to win the SB jumped from 125-1 to 100-1 and winning the NFC S 60-1 to 50-1

today's trade was a great trade

the darnold trade was dumb as hell

this...

not sure how i feel about the QB room right now. it is starting to look like a Panther QB Thunderdome type situation.

if neither have a good year, do you draft a QB (if you can get one of the good ones), therefore having another Thunderdome type situation with Corral?

what a mess

Sounds like the pick becomes a 4th rounder if Baker plays in 12 games or more. Seems reasonably likely?

My primary Bake Mayfield memory is him laying an egg in the second half of the Rose Bowl.

Humble yourself. Humble yourself.

Yeah, you'd probably still prefer Darnold. The reason the game changed in UGa's favor in the 2nd half is they started getting pressure on Mayfield, and he's not the most athletic QB, so it affected him. As I've said, he needs protection and good skilled position players to have success. That said, he's still a big upgrade over Darnold.

It doesn't mean they can't be a good pro, but it means they are highly unlikely to be a good pro. It has been proven over and over and over that, no matter how good a tOSU or Bama QB looks in college, they are system QBs. They play behind NFL-caliber O-lines with NFL-caliber RBs and (in Bama's case) NFL-caliber WRs, while their opposition is at a significant team talent disadvantage. And in tOSU's case, they play against absolute trash competition for the majority of their games. So virtually all of their production is overinflated. Even if they have the physical tools to succeed in the NFL, which clearly most of them have not, they are obviously still affected by the years of overall team superiority from college and cannot carry a team like a successful NFL QB needs to be able to do. Or they get blind drunk and wander out into moving highway traffic.

Either of Young or Stroud may end up being fine NFL QBs. But combined there is over 100 years of consistent evidence to prove my points otherwise. So while I might take one of them in a later round, there is no way in hell I am losing on purpose just to maybe get the opportunity to pick one of them. They are a crapshoot at best.

The B1G doesn't have any competition for tOSU. Got it. And all the draft experts who universally have Stroud and Young going in the top 3 are stupid, especially those PFF dummies. Got it.

Sounds like the pick becomes a 4th rounder if Baker plays in 12 games or more. Seems reasonably likely?

If so, I hope Tepper is smart enough to cut bait if this team is 4-7 after those 11 games, especially if CMC is injured. Fire Rhule and just start Corral the rest of the season. Move up the draft order and keep the 4th and give up the 5th.

Exactly. Only play BM in game 12 if you are still in the playoff hunt. Let Corral play.

The B1G doesn't have any competition for tOSU. Got it. And all the draft experts who universally have Stroud and Young going in the top 3 are stupid, especially those PFF dummies. Got it.

The Big Televenteen gives tOSU 1 or, in a good year, 2 competitive games a season. The rest are garbage blowouts.

And said draft experts are the same draft experts who had Tua as the second coming before injury and even after injury resulted in him getting picked ahead of Herbert. This is, again, in addition to the other 100+ prior combined years of overrating tOSU and Bama QBs who don't do shit in the NFL.

The funny thing is, Mac Jones is the one they consistently shat on and had as a late round pick. But it shows that college and the NFL are pretty different when it comes to QB evaluations.

Back