• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

Draft picks are frequently overrated due to the appeal of the unknown and unrealized potential. We've been around for 27 years, and there's only one set of three consecutive first-rounders that I definitely wouldn't give up for a top-five QB: Cam, Kuechly, and Star in 2011-2013 (and I guess subbing Stewart in for Star in the opposite direction). I'd hear arguments for Peppers, Gross, and Gamble/Morgan, and CMC, Moore, and Burns. However, you're just as likely to get Kelvin Benjamin, Shaq Thompson, and Vernon Butler or Tim Biakabatuka, Rae Carruth, and Jason Peter.

Of our 27 first round picks, I'd break them down this way:

Home runs (7)- Burns, CMC* (when healthy), Luke*, Cam*, T. Davis, Gross, Peppers

Solid starters (11)- Moore, Shaq, Star, Stewart, Beason, Deangelo, Gamble, Morgan, Kerry Collins, Ty Poole, Brockermeyer

Busts (7)- Butler, Kelvin, Otah, Rashard Anderson, Jason Peter, Rae Carruth, Biakabatuka

Too early to tell (2)- Horn, Brown

From a pure football standpoint--and not accounting for off-the-field stuff--I'd trade three first-rounders in a heartbeat for Watson. It becomes much more problematic if we're including established young players.

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - S Woods (3/15.75); G Corbett

Your argument seems to be that the Panthers are so bad at drafting that there’s only one set of three first round picks you wouldn’t give up for a top five QBs. The Panthers are also not in a position to mortgage the future because they’ve been so bad at drafting.

Plenty of other franchises draft better than that and get top five QBs and established young players with first round picks.

Also the Panthers can’t afford to just give up three first round picks because even with Watson those will probably be high picks.

Last edited:
Draft picks are frequently overrated due to the appeal of the unknown and unrealized potential. We've been around for 27 years, and there's only one set of three consecutive first-rounders that I definitely wouldn't give up for a top-five QB: Cam, Kuechly, and Star in 2011-2013 (and I guess subbing Stewart in for Star in the opposite direction). I'd hear arguments for Peppers, Gross, and Gamble/Morgan, and CMC, Moore, and Burns. However, you're just as likely to get Kelvin Benjamin, Shaq Thompson, and Vernon Butler or Tim Biakabatuka, Rae Carruth, and Jason Peter.

Of our 27 first round picks, I'd break them down this way:

Home runs (7)- Burns, CMC* (when healthy), Luke*, Cam*, T. Davis, Gross, Peppers

Solid starters (11)- Moore, Shaq, Star, Stewart, Beason, Deangelo, Gamble, Morgan, Kerry Collins, Ty Poole, Brockermeyer

Busts (7)- Butler, Kelvin, Otah, Rashard Anderson, Jason Peter, Rae Carruth, Biakabatuka

Too early to tell (2)- Horn, Brown

From a pure football standpoint--and not accounting for off-the-field stuff--I'd trade three first-rounders in a heartbeat for Watson. It becomes much more problematic if we're including established young players.

I think you and everyone else is overrating Watson

He's barely over .500 as a starter; this isn't a dude that you can mortgage the future for because he can carry a franchise

He's proven that a team can still really really suck with him as the QB

getting a QB is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. that's why they get paid what they do and when they go on the trade block they get traded for what they do. i mean is anyone going to tell me a) matthew stafford in his 30s was more valuable than dwat now and b) the rams trade still wasn't worth it

getting a QB is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. that's why they get paid what they do and when they go on the trade block they get traded for what they do. i mean is anyone going to tell me a) matthew stafford in his 30s was more valuable than dwat now and b) the rams trade still wasn't worth it

yeah but that's adding stafford to a roster that was ready to contend

we're soooooooooooo far away from contending that we can't afford to trade all of our draft capital to get a good QB; we're just doomed to go 4-12 until his contract runs out

none of it matters if we don't get a QB. i wouldn't draft any QBs in this class. one of them will probably be a stud but who knows which one. who knows if we'll be in a spot to draft the one we want next year, and if the one we want is the right one

anyway, i feel pretty confident that a division rival is going to get him anyway and torture us for a decade

maybe arch manning in 2026

Your argument seems to be that the Panthers are so bad at drafting that there’s only one set of three first round picks you wouldn’t give up for a top five QBs. The Panthers are also not in a position to mortgage the future because they’ve been so bad at drafting.

Plenty of other franchises draft better than that and get top five QBs and established young players with first round picks.

Also the Panthers can’t afford to just give up three first round picks because even with Watson those will probably be high picks.

Actually, according to PFF, the Panthers were the second-best team in the NFL at selecting first-rounders from 2010 to 2019. Link. Feel free to post the teams that you think are better at drafting over the last 10-12 years, and we'll see how their first-rounders pan out. My guess is that you won't find many with substantially better results.

My argument is that drafting is hard, and that your odds of landing a top-five quarterback, or value equivalent to one, are slim.

i think everyone forgot that watson isn't rodgers or brady or manning or mahomes

he's basically russell wilson but with a bunch of sexual assault allegations

i think everyone forgot that watson isn't rodgers or brady or manning or mahomes

Rk Player Tm Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds Sk% NY/A ANY/A
▼ 4QC GWD
1 Aaron Rodgers*+ GNB 37 QB 16 16 13-3-0 372 526 70.7 4299 48 9.1 5 1 216 78 8.2 9.6 11.6 268.7 121.5 79.8 20 182 3.7 7.54 8.89 1 2
2 Patrick Mahomes* KAN 25 QB 15 15 14-1-0 390 588 66.3 4740 38 6.5 6 1 238 75 8.1 8.9 12.2 316.0 108.2 78.1 22 147 3.6 7.53 8.33 3 3
3 Deshaun Watson* HOU 25 QB 16 16 4-12-0 382 544 70.2 4823 33 6.1 7 1.3 221 77 8.9 9.5 12.6 301.4 112.4 63.7 49 293 8.3 7.64 8.22

Lets go get Baker or Jimmy G.

Sounds like Baker wants the Colts if he's traded ... Jimmy G would be the best option for the Panthers. I hope Watson does go to the Saints, they still have an ongoing cap mess, and then won't have draft picks to restock because of him. They will have to shed $$ in the next couple of years so that means he'll be playing for a really young, crappy team, with a really crappy coach - Dennis Allen is no Sean Payton. Even better if he goes to the Saints and then the league still slaps him with a season-long suspension for violating the personal conduct stuff.

Charles Cross makes the most sense at 6

But I think 99% of Panthers mock drafts involve trading down

Hopefully someone falls in love with Pickett or Willis and wants to pay up to move up

eta: 99% of FAN mock drafts

I think you and everyone else is overrating Watson

He's barely over .500 as a starter; this isn't a dude that you can mortgage the future for because he can carry a franchise

He's proven that a team can still really really suck with him as the QB

A year away from the game and rap sheet really has people forgetting how good Deshaun Watson is.

but is Watson actually a top 5 QB?

(I think he is)

There are a lot of shitheads in professional sports. If a guy can play, someone will give him a chance. Fans don’t have to like it of course. This seems like a scenario in which the asking price will be too high.

Sounds like Baker wants the Colts if he's traded ... Jimmy G would be the best option for the Panthers. I hope Watson does go to the Saints, they still have an ongoing cap mess, and then won't have draft picks to restock because of him. They will have to shed $$ in the next couple of years so that means he'll be playing for a really young, crappy team, with a really crappy coach - Dennis Allen is no Sean Payton. Even better if he goes to the Saints and then the league still slaps him with a season-long suspension for violating the personal conduct stuff.

If Kyle Shanahan can't get any better than mediocre play out of Jimmy G, I don't know what chance Rhule has. Much better to tank and get our choice of QB's next year than to give up assets to get yet another sub-par option to drag us along to 6 or 7 wins and out of the top of the draft.

I'd call DJ Moore a homerun first round pick considering he was the 24th pick.

Right, I’m not interested in more QB reclamation projects, given the QBs who are out there to be reclaimed, combined with this staff’s apparent lack of skill in reclaiming.

Obviously JG is far better than Darnold, but I say we just focus on other positions, get Darnold off the books after this year, and then start anew. All the more so given Brady’s return.

Back