• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

soccer nerds please dont spill your random incomprehensible complaints on this thread anymore as if it has anything to do with the panthers

I’ve been traveling like crazy and haven’t had time to post at all. Now I don’t remember much.

The Panthers believe that Watson will get a 6 game suspension. I gather that the teams in the Watson race must have queried the league and gotten some basis for that. Once Watson decided he was going to demand a new contract and wanted 4-5 years Tepper bailed. Tepper’s motto: you have to know your trade limits to be a good hedge fund manager. This applies to football too. Watson wanted to come to Carolina I do know that.
As I said the plan is to beef up the offensive line now and go with Darnold. They still believe he can and will play much better if the guy isn’t constantly being murdered. But that could change and if it does I will do my best to pass anything along. In these posts I am trying to pass along what feels passable but some things I just don’t feel comfortable. I can PM some of that and have in the past.

Rhule and Tomlin the only coaches at Pitt's pro day. Argh.

From Tomlin's perspective, he has to drive the 10 minutes or whatever to show some interest - it'd be rude not to. And he probably wants to see Pickett throw up close to get a sense of the velocity. But it sounds like he really wants Willis if he's there at 20. And that makes sense because Willis is the only high ceiling QB in this draft. He's gotta go up against Watson, Burrow and Jackson for the next decade - may as well swing for the fences.

As for Rhule, that would be your nightmare scenario - Pickett at 6. But maybe it's a feint or dodge given that it's lying season. Or maybe comes away unimpressed with hand size and velocity.

I’d assume Tomlin always goes to Pitt’s pro day. I don’t mind Rhule going. If they get a good LT in free agency, the best way to get a good trade down package is for someone to want Pickett or Willis and think the Panthers will take him.

Matt Ryan to the Colts. Atlanta's going to out-tank us next year

I’ve been traveling like crazy and haven’t had time to post at all. Now I don’t remember much.

The Panthers believe that Watson will get a 6 game suspension. I gather that the teams in the Watson race must have queried the league and gotten some basis for that. Once Watson decided he was going to demand a new contract and wanted 4-5 years Tepper bailed. Tepper’s motto: you have to know your trade limits to be a good hedge fund manager. This applies to football too. Watson wanted to come to Carolina I do know that.
As I said the plan is to beef up the offensive line now and go with Darnold. They still believe he can and will play much better if the guy isn’t constantly being murdered. But that could change and if it does I will do my best to pass anything along. In these posts I am trying to pass along what feels passable but some things I just don’t feel comfortable. I can PM some of that and have in the past.

Tepper balking after a year plus recruitment, of a supposed top 5-10 qb is unbelievable. This has me concluding one of two things: Tepper is lying about Watson wanting to come to Carolina (most likely) or Tepper is gigantic pussy and is going to be a terrible owner.

Tepper balking after a year plus recruitment, of a supposed top 5-10 qb is unbelievable. This has me concluding one of two things: Tepper is lying about Watson wanting to come to Carolina (most likely) or Tepper is gigantic pussy and is going to be a terrible owner.

???

Have you actually read about the deal Cleveland made? I think you might need to catch up on some reading.

Absolutely nobody - outside the Cleveland front office - thinks it was a good decision to cave to Watson's contract demands. The Browns are getting destroyed for doing that deal. Tepper would have to be an idiot to make that deal. Not only because it would hamstring them from building a team around Watson but also because of the horrible fan backlash. He would have been absolutely ROASTED for it and deservedly so. Watson got a massive raise and 4 year guaranteed (biggest guarantee ever in the NFL) contract - which was not originally a part of this - AFTER having 22 women file civil suits against him. It looks like even Cleveland fans are for the most part down on this Watson deal.

Personally, I think it's the dumbest trade/contract since the Hershel Walker Vikings trade. Hell it might be even dumber

Last edited:
Yeah Tepper/Panthers are on a win streak. But I worry that we’re barely going to upgrade from Darnold, win barely more games than we would have with him, and miss out on a draft opportunity. What’s next years qb free agency looking like?

Yeah Tepper/Panthers are on a win streak. But I worry that we’re barely going to upgrade from Darnold, win barely more games than we would have with him, and miss out on a draft opportunity. What’s next years qb free agency looking like?

Very good question. That seems huge as far as the Panthers plans. But if you think about all the top QBs, they have all either resigned this year or been traded. I can't think of a single top 10 level QB that could be available one way or the other.

The Browns missed the playoffs, just the playoffs, by 1.5 games last year, having been a Wildcard team the year before. So Watson needs to win two more regular season games than Baker, keeping all things static. Baker also has the same number of playoff wins as Watson (1).

I'm not saying Watson isn't clearly a better QB than Baker, but the Browns have bet the ranch on him and the team is boxed in for the next five years on personnel moves. Watson has to be A Lot better than Baker for this move to work out.

I am thrilled that the Panthers didn't agree to this deal.

I'm confident that Watson is a significantly better quarterback than Baker, but considering what it took to sign him and the baggage, I would much rather have Baker leading the Panthers next season.

I'm confident that Watson is a significantly better quarterback than Baker, but considering what it took to sign him and the baggage, I would much rather have Baker leading the Panthers next season.

What would be the price tag for Baker?

Back