• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

I think Baker makes like $18 million. He might be fun to have for one year or something and he might play his ass off for his new contract after this year (I think its up after this season).

But I like the Panthers going hard after a much better offensive line and sticking with Darnold at this point.

Pass on Baker. Take best OL available or trade back to 10-12 and pick up another pick or two if you want Willis

from what i have heard on some inside panthers scoop is that darnold is a really good dude, all the physical tools, and everyone generally likes him.... but he's really dumb

I'm not advocating for signing Baker unless it meant somehow getting rid of Darnold and that obligation. I agree with guitar that the best course of action is to focus on the line and stick with Darnold for another season. If the three big linemen are gone at 6, I think we trade back. If we can get a 2nd round pick by doing that, it would be great.

i am fine sucking next year and getting a shot at bryce young or stroud

those guys are both trevor lawrence-level prospects

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. We've had what I think is a quietly very good offseason. Our line has instantly gone from garbage to potentially good, especially if we can get one of the top 3 guys in the draft. Darnold played pretty well when CMC was healthy and a focal point of the offense, and everything went to hell in that Thursday night game. We have a solid group of receivers and while I don't like the TE situation I'm rooting for Tremble and think he could develop into a very good player. The young defensive core is the brightest spot on the team. I can't wait to see Horn back there and healthy, and obviously Burns and Chinn.

i don't really know why cory littleton didn't work out on the raiders

dude was 2nd team all pro in 2018 with the rams, was arguably better in 2019 with the rams.... then complete collapse and drop-off on the raiders

???

Have you actually read about the deal Cleveland made? I think you might need to catch up on some reading.

Absolutely nobody - outside the Cleveland front office - thinks it was a good decision to cave to Watson's contract demands. The Browns are getting destroyed for doing that deal. Tepper would have to be an idiot to make that deal. Not only because it would hamstring them from building a team around Watson but also because of the horrible fan backlash. He would have been absolutely ROASTED for it and deservedly so. Watson got a massive raise and 4 year guaranteed (biggest guarantee ever in the NFL) contract - which was not originally a part of this - AFTER having 22 women file civil suits against him. It looks like even Cleveland fans are for the most part down on this Watson deal.

Personally, I think it's the dumbest trade/contract since the Hershel Walker Vikings trade. Hell it might be even dumber

The Browns were desperate - I mean look at the other QBs in the AFC and the division. They were going to be relegated to AFC futility over the next 4-5 years with a good roster other than QB. They knew they had to move on from a toxic Mayfield, and apparently their only trading partner is Sea, who will low ball them, but they won't care - they just need to dump his contract on another team. And I think folks are making too much out of the PR hit. They are getting roasted on the morning shows right now, but it's March. It'll be talked about some this season and then not that much thereafter if he keeps his nose clean from here on out. He's clear of all possible criminal charges. He'll settle most all the cases, and if 1 or 2 go to trial, that heat will be back in the zeitgeist for a while. Browns fans will get over any bad feelings they have pretty quickly because Watson is a top 5 QB who will be taking them to deep playoff runs as soon as he can play a full season, which won't be this year. He'll lose 4-10 games this year. But maybe Brissett can keep them .500 while he's gone, and they make a playoff run this year.

And fwiw, I still think Easterby/McNair coordinated this with Buzbee but then got self-pwned when it ballooned from 3-4 women to 22.

And fwiw, I still think Easterby/McNair coordinated this with Buzbee but then got self-pwned when it ballooned from 3-4 women to 22.
Not sure I understand; what are you saying you believe or don’t believe about some or all the women’s stories

With all of the work the Panthers have done on the OL this offseason, so far, I would be okay with spending the #6 pick on DL or LB if there's someone we think rates at that position. But the idea of reaching for a quarterback there or trading back ten or twenty picks to take a quarterback makes me sick.

Not sure I understand; what are you saying you believe or don’t believe about some or all the women’s stories

I think they probably knew that there were some allegations out there. They were pissed at Watson demanding a trade. Buzbee and the McNairs were at least acquaintances. I think they clued Buzbee into the allegations, which he then pursued, in order to get back at or pressure Watson. But then what was a couple of allegations morphed into 22 lawsuits. So in the end, I think Easterby and McNair hurt themselves by preventing Watson from being tradable until now. I'm not passing judgment on any of the women or saying they're not believable. Where there is smoke, there is fire and yes, the number of allegations leads one to believe the women. I believe Watson engaged in reckless and extremely inappropriate behavior, especially considering the time in which we live and how he was putting himself at risk. He is therefore reaping what he sewed. That said, I don't trust Buzbee in the slightest either. Add to that these are the only civil cases I've ever heard of where it's the plaintiffs' lawyer who wants a sealed settlement. It's always the defense that wants a sealed settlement, and they always have to pay extra to keep it sealed.

I don't know how much Watson - at this point - is reaping what he sowed.

These allegations against Watson have only affected his reputation and certainly not his wallet. Hell, the Browns went out of their way to prevent the inevitable suspension from hitting Watson's wallet again by setting the first season base at $1 million so the missed games will only come out of that base. The truth is Watson has benefitted from the awkwardness of discussing the allegations. As a result the media has pretty much avoided it out of just not really knowing what to say or how to say it. The media has discussed the Watson case very little which prevented Watson from being more toxic than a urinal cake at Chernobyl. The result is Watson gets the best contract in the history of the NFL.

York County is going to bail out Rock Hill. Tepper will be on the hook for upfront development costs and will receive tax breaks and payments to make up for his outlay. Vote was 4-3 last night.

Wait, that’s it? No other teams represented? I was surprised that was true for Pickett but now even moreso.

well that's what I saw on Twitter, but now I see that his event starts at 12:30 so I guess more could arrive. Liberty is right next to the airport in Lynchburg.

I think Baker makes like $18 million. He might be fun to have for one year or something and he might play his ass off for his new contract after this year (I think its up after this season).

But I like the Panthers going hard after a much better offensive line and sticking with Darnold at this point.

The only way the Panthers should even think about bringing Baker on board is if Cleveland will pay a large chunk of his salary. Which it won't do given the king's ransom it must pay Watson. Guy is too unpredictable to commit big $.

I don't know how much Watson - at this point - is reaping what he sowed.

These allegations against Watson have only affected his reputation and certainly not his wallet. Hell, the Browns went out of their way to prevent the inevitable suspension from hitting Watson's wallet again by setting the first season base at $1 million so the missed games will only come out of that base. The truth is Watson has benefitted from the awkwardness of discussing the allegations. As a result the media has pretty much avoided it out of just not really knowing what to say or how to say it. The media has discussed the Watson case very little which prevented Watson from being more toxic than a urinal cake at Chernobyl. The result is Watson gets the best contract in the history of the NFL.

I mean he asked for handjobs and had to sit out a year. Seems fair.

Back