• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

Charles Cross makes the most sense at 6

But I think 99% of Panthers mock drafts involve trading down

Hopefully someone falls in love with Pickett or Willis and wants to pay up to move up

eta: 99% of FAN mock drafts

Last edited:
Am I alone in thinking that the Panthers were real, real conservative with CMC's recovery time in order to lose more games?

Charles Cross makes the most sense at 6

But I think 99% of Panthers mock drafts involve trading down

Hopefully someone falls in love with Pickett or Willis and wants to pay up to move up

eta: 99% of FAN mock drafts

That's where I'm seeing the talk about the Panthers going to a run heavy offense. The mocks are saying that Cross wouldn't be a good fit coming out of a Mike Leach offense, so the Panthers will take the UNI guy. It's absurd to think in 2022 a team wouldn't take a LT from a pass heavy offense, I could see Rhule doing that.

Am I alone in thinking that the Panthers were real, real conservative with CMC's recovery time in order to lose more games?

I don't think so. They were technically in the hunt until the last two weeks or so. Tepper seems like a win now guy and Rhule wanted to keep his job. I do think they were conservative about his recovery because he has a high risk of injury.

Rhule has got some of that "I'm smarter than everybody else" disease and the rest of him is just stubborn. Which means he has to cut against the grain/conventional thinking with a prospect (see Slater). Gettleman was that way albeit in a much grumpier way.

Are we making a move for Watson after Friday, or settling for Pickett in the draft?

I'm seeing that the plan for the offense is to go to a run heavy offense. I guess that makes sense if the plan is not to rely on the QB, but it doesn't make sense in terms of how best to use CMC and keep him healthy.

A second, reliable back will be essential with that plan. Hopefully Hubbard is that guy.

David Newton is reporting that the Panthers will be in on the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes if he isn't indicted. Sigh. Let's just hope they can trade future 1st instead of this year's 1st.

So a walking dead coach, a QB who might not be allowed to play, and no draft capital to build around him. #KeepPounding

Count me out if we mortgage the future for Watson. Legal issues notwithstanding, it doesn't even make sense from a football perspective based on what we'd give up for the privilege to pay him. I've said it before on this thread but mortgaging the future for a guy like Watson is not the path to contention for this franchise. The only way to do it is to build through the draft, hope you get the right QB on a rookie contract. We are not the Rams, that path will not work for us.

The only way it would even remotely work would be if CMC was shipped out in the deal. But why the hell would Watson waive a no trade clause to play behind an awful Oline with no RB, a mediocre to bad group of WRs, and no TE, and with no draft picks to help the situation? Going to Cleveland or becoming the next felon in Tomlin's three-ring sideshow circus would seem to be much more appealing to Watson.

I know I wouldn’t trust Tepper and Rhule to handle an image rehab tour. Going to the Steelers would immediately shield him from criticism and he’ll make the playoffs every year.

The Panthers are a desperate franchise led by a desperate coach willing to sell out the future to dumpster dive for a rapist.

But the Steelers are a well-respected franchise willing to take a chance a guy who made a (few dozen) mistake(s).

I don't blame Rhule for as much of this mess as some people do. No coach is going to overcome two years of having Bridgewater and Darnold as their starting quarterback behind an awful offensive line and McCaffrey playing a total of 10 games.

Bridgewater and Darnold were Rhule’s decisions.

I don't blame Rhule for as much of this mess as some people do. No coach is going to overcome two years of having Bridgewater and Darnold as their starting quarterback behind an awful offensive line and McCaffrey playing a total of 10 games.

He was an asshole to Cam, fuck that guy

The Bridgewater decision was predicated on the Joe Brady thing though.

I think Bridgewater or Darnold would have made the playoffs this year if they were installed as quarterback of the Patriots, but this team is just way too unstable to have a below average quarterback make them look serviceable.

I don't think this is correct - or it would very much surprise me if it was true. As of a week or so ago (maybe a little longer?) the Panthers brass had given up on Watson because they are pretty convinced that two women are NOT going to settle and let Watson skate with settlements or wrist slapping. Maybe something has changed as the hearings got much closer but based on what I was told I highly doubt it. I also was told that the price was just going to be too high, but I sort of got the impression that may have been something they were trying to convince themselves of since the door seemed to be closed anyway. If the Panthers are back in on Watson something has definitely changed

I don't think this is correct - or it would very much surprise me if it was true. As of a week or so ago (maybe a little longer?) the Panthers brass had given up on Watson because they are pretty convinced that two women are NOT going to settle and let Watson skate with settlements or wrist slapping. Maybe something has changed as the hearings got much closer but based on what I was told I highly doubt it. I also was told that the price was just going to be too high, but I sort of got the impression that may have been something they were trying to convince themselves of since the door seemed to be closed anyway. If the Panthers are back in on Watson something has definitely changed

Pretty sure the hearing today isn't going to go his way, which would follow your story.

Total clown shoes to let this story leak BEFORE the grand jury hearing.

Back