• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

I saw a tweet yesterday by one of the beat reporters that Tepper had hired a PI to investigate which I'm p sure you had told us a while back, guitar.

Yeah. I couldn't remember if I had seen that in the press or just from guitar. But props, either way.

"It's definitely a very emotional moment for me. I know we're far from being done of handling what we need to handle on the legal side but today is definitely a big day," said Watson, speaking to reporters for the first time in over a year. "I thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ for letting the truth be heard. And I thank everyone that was a part of this for seeing and hearing both sides. That's what my point and my team wanted to do, is have a fair slate of us telling our side of the story and letting the conclusion come to what happened today, and that's what the grand jury decided on.

"I'm just going to keep fighting to rebuild my name and rebuild my appearance in the community. And on the legal side handle what we need to handle. But also ready to get on the field, and prep for that."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...rges-connection-sexual-misconduct-allegations

Ugh. So do we get pass on this guy who is a legitimately great QB who seemingly got away with at best questionable behavior or give up the future in picks and players and any sense of moral high ground?

Ugh. So do we get pass on this guy who is a legitimately great QB who seemingly got away with at best questionable behavior or give up the future in picks and players and any sense of moral high ground?

I am not thrilled with the Carolina trade packages being hypothesized on twitter - 3 first round picks and a few of our past 1st round picks. No point in trading for Watson if we are reduced to Texans-level talent.

Just spoke to my guy. Things have changed since last time we spoke. They really are going hard after Watson now. Package appears to start with CMC, DJ Moore, and draft picks. Tepper wants QB and OL which is obvious. But things have been ratcheted up. And I have no idea what happened as far as Watson today, but the info I got an hour ago is that it’s ON. Will report back anything I get.

I am not thrilled with the Carolina trade packages being hypothesized on twitter - 3 first round picks and a few of our past 1st round picks. No point in trading for Watson if we are reduced to Texans-level talent.

This - and the PR hit just aren’t worth it.

Just spoke to my guy. Things have changed since last time we spoke. They really are going hard after Watson now. Package appears to start with CMC, DJ Moore, and draft picks. Tepper wants QB and OL which is obvious. But things have been ratcheted up. And I have no idea what happened as far as Watson today, but the info I got an hour ago is that it’s ON. Will report back anything I get.

This also doesn’t surprise me - Tepper is Jerry with less actual football knowledge.

Can’t edit. But now I see what PH posted above. Also the Panthers feel that Pittsburgh is their competition but that Watson considers Carolina home. Like I said, I will report back. We just had a brief conversation and he said he would call me back tomorrow.

This Watson news is surprising for a few reasons, based on news reports today that the grand jury refused to indict on 10 separate complaints.

First, grand juries in state courts rarely refuse to indict.

Second, the quoted remarks from Watson and the district attorney make it sound like no one was surprised by this decision.

To me, that indicates the fix was in one way or another.

At face value, cases involving massages that “went to far” might indicate some degree of gray. The grand jury decision leaves no room for gray.

Either: 1) this is a complete conspiracy against Watson and all 22 complainants are lying or manufacturing their testimonies for a payday (perhaps cobbled together by one lawyer) or 2) financial settlements have been reached and all of the complainants/witnesses became tight lipped in front of the grand jury.

If financial settlements have been reached expect them to be announced a few months from now as undisclosed settlements.

If a conspiracy was launched against Watson, man that’s a big conspiracy.

We’ll see what happens. But what had been put in the press today indicates to me there is no middle ground on this case. Time will probably tell.

This seems like it is setting up to be an awful trade. Giving up CMC and Moore would be fine, but this team has so many holes that losing any material draft picks would be crippling. And they have to hang on to Burns, Chinn, and Horn given how bad the offense will be. Watson is good, but he isn't that good. Especially with everything else swirling around him.

But in the end, I think he'll lean towards Pittsburgh anyway. Playing for the Black Urban Meyer is too good a fit for Watson to pass up at this point in his saga, and Pittsburgh can directly continue its line of sexual predator QBs. Win-win.

This seems like it is setting up to be an awful trade. Giving up CMC and Moore would be fine, but this team has so many holes that losing any material draft picks would be crippling. And they have to hang on to Burns, Chinn, and Horn given how bad the offense will be. Watson is good, but he isn't that good. Especially with everything else swirling around him.

But in the end, I think he'll lean towards Pittsburgh anyway. Playing for the Black Urban Meyer is too good a fit for Watson to pass up at this point in his saga, and Pittsburgh can directly continue its line of sexual predator QBs. Win-win.

Yeah he is

Well I don’t think Watson gets to lean towards either, if he waves the no trade clause for both. That will come down to Houston and which deal is better for them and they thus accept that trade.

Well I don’t think Watson gets to lean towards either, if he waves the no trade clause for both. That will come down to Houston and which deal is better for them and they thus accept that trade.

Maybe the leaning would just be waiving the no trade clause for one and not the other.

The Bridgewater decision was predicated on the Joe Brady thing though.

I think Bridgewater or Darnold would have made the playoffs this year if they were installed as quarterback of the Patriots, but this team is just way too unstable to have a below average quarterback make them look serviceable.

Bridgewater was on a roster this past year that was at least as talented as NE's, and they had a losing record because of their QB play. They had a top 10 D, 2 very good RBs and a nice young WR corps. There is a good reason Russ told his team to trade him to Denver, even though the AFCW is the most stacked division in the league. No, you just refuse to accept that Bridgewater is no longer a starting caliber QB in this league, and Darnold never was.

This Watson news is surprising for a few reasons, based on news reports today that the grand jury refused to indict on 10 separate complaints.

First, grand juries in state courts rarely refuse to indict.

Second, the quoted remarks from Watson and the district attorney make it sound like no one was surprised by this decision.

To me, that indicates the fix was in one way or another.

At face value, cases involving massages that “went to far” might indicate some degree of gray. The grand jury decision leaves no room for gray.

Either: 1) this is a complete conspiracy against Watson and all 22 complainants are lying or manufacturing their testimonies for a payday (perhaps cobbled together by one lawyer) or 2) financial settlements have been reached and all of the complainants/witnesses became tight lipped in front of the grand jury.

If financial settlements have been reached expect them to be announced a few months from now as undisclosed settlements.

If a conspiracy was launched against Watson, man that’s a big conspiracy.

We’ll see what happens. But what had been put in the press today indicates to me there is no middle ground on this case. Time will probably tell.

You are correct that grand juries extremely rarely refuse to indict - the whole ham sandwich thing. But I disagree with your conclusions. This isn't a complete conspiracy against Watson, and financial settlements haven't been reached. In fact, we appear to know that at least 2 of the women don't want to settle. Ask any cop or prosecutor - they hate rape or sexual assault cases where the victim knows the defendant and was voluntarily in the room with the defendant because those cases are extremely difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Sentences for rape and sexual assault are typically long, and juries don't like to convict when the evidence is murky. So what more likely happened is the prosecutor probably made a business decision and presented the evidence in an even handed way and wasn't forceful in trying to get the indictment. They had little desire to devote huge resources in what would have been well contested cases where he was well lawyered up when they had no chance of securing a conviction. Watson's behavior sounds like it was recklessly sketchy, especially in today's world, but it didn't rise to the level to where you were going to be able to secure a sexual assault conviction. If you want a massage with a happy ending, you have to choose the right massage parlor and pay full price like Bob Kraft did.

I think theyre as good as rookie Mac Jones.

Get glasses and watch what Wilson does in Denver this year. I'll add to that that NE had a solid D, OL, TEs and RBs, but their WR corps was 1 of the worst in the league. Denver has Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick and Hamler. Never believe the pipe.

No draft picks. Pass, and my opinion has nothing to do with the allegations against him.

Back