• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

If you don't think talking a big game and failing to deliver sums Tepper up perfectly, then you haven't really been paying attention

sure, great. he tries to do stuff. what should he have done differently on those specific situations?

1. stafford chose LA. we tried to get him.. so? teppers fault?
2. we wanted DWat, and so did other teams. no one expected what cleveland did. are you saying we should have given DWat the largest guaranteed contract in NFL history just because we talked about it?

again, a lot of this would be avoided if we weren't in the conversation.. ie just dont try any big moves. feels like we really miss those big cat days huh

I’m trying to figure out your point, FYC. Are you saying Tepper doesn’t talk a big game and not follow through or are you saying he does and that’s fine?

Tepper is a massive talker, acts like he's gonna get things done. He hasn't gotten shit done. All he's done is run this franchise directly into the ground. Lose fan support in massive numbers. Fuck up every big name deal we've tried, and can't even build a practice facility, which he was trying to do way away from the stadium anyways. He's obviously a phenomenal businessman, but he's proven to be nothing but a bottom tier, if not the worst overall owner in the NFL.

Blaming Tepper and Rhule for all of this team's current problems is just dumb. Cam's rapid decline and Kuechly's retirement left holes at two important positions. Cam is currently 33 years old and Luke is 31. Add a historically bad offensive line to the mix and you're in rebuild mode. And having a player on whom you spent the #6 pick in the draft and built your offense around play less than half a season for the past two years doesn't help either.

And blaming the whole thing on Hurney is dumb too.

But is it really?

Just look at his staff departures. Where there's this much smoke, there's certainly fire:

Nick Kelly, CEO - Resigned
Tom Glick, President - Resigned
Meredith Starkey, Marketing - Fired?
Marc Nichols, Academy - Resigned
Tina Becker, COO - Resigned but likely fired

Who else am I missing? Obviously there will always be turnover in any organization, but this is pretty absurd

Lol he's had 5 years. Hasn't found a QB. It's his fault, sorry guitar, he's been horrific so far.

Lol he's had 5 years. Hasn't found a QB. It's his fault, sorry guitar, he's been horrific so far.

Tough to blame him for that. There are franchises that have been looking for a QB for 15 years. I'm pointing to all of the off the field smoke

The point is, there is smoke everywhere. Nothing has been successful. His whole tenure is riddled with failure. Maybe the soccer will work out, woo hoo, we will see. Can he turn it around? Definitely possible. Likely? Not sure anymore.

Yeah, MLS has been tough to watch. He could literally buy the title but instead we field a decently shit squad every week. We have like 3 good players and 8 shitters.

But to me, the worst part is the ticket pricing. He's just targeting the NFL OWGs and aiming for 25k per match, rather than having affordable tickets and letting everyone in, selling closer to 50k a match. I legit don't get it.

Pretty shortsighted if that's the case. I haven't looked into soccer tickets. But if you let more people in, you sell more concessions. You create more fans. Seems like a no brainer.

Yeah, MLS has been tough to watch. He could literally buy the title but instead we field a decently shit squad every week. We have like 3 good players and 8 shitters.

But to me, the worst part is the ticket pricing. He's just targeting the NFL OWGs and aiming for 25k per match, rather than having affordable tickets and letting everyone in, selling closer to 50k a match. I legit don't get it.

Yeah, the prices off the top were pretty crazy (in addition to requiring PSL's for a stadium that maybe only had a shelf life of another 10-12 years). I get not wanting to open the upper deck (other than for the opener, to set the attendance record) and keep everyone packed into the lower level, but you've got to have some ticket options around $20.00-$25.00 or so to allow a family to come see the game for a reasonable amount.

Worth noting that Yahoo piece about Tepper talking about big game and not following through is about Tepper's rumored interest in trading for a new coach while the coach with the fewest wins of any returning coach is still under contract.

Related: I'm watching Matt Rhule's press conference right now. He not impressive at all. None of his questions seem indicative of a plan. It's a step below coachspeak. He said Tepper told him the Yahoo piece was going to come out and not to worry about it. He said Tepper told him it was a five year rebuild.

His answers aren't that much better than what any of us would give.

Last edited:
I started out being impressed with Rhule and not so much anymore. In my worthless opinion he's 50/50 to finish the season out.

I remember his first press conference was solid. I don't remember any of his PCs since although I've seen Fit and Tepper a few times. He was awful today. A lot of rambling non-answers.

Panthers desperate enough to make a run at Drew Brees?
https://sports.yahoo.com/peter-king-panthers-could-desperate-130014984.html

speculative clickbait based on vague Brees tweet listing playing football as one of his options after his release from NBC
File this under "you know your QB situation is dire when..."

To me, Brees' value is not getting the field but mentoring young QB's. Maybe it would start his coaching career?
I think he signs with Fox.

Back