• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - PhDeac CT #1 - Greatest Chat Thread of All Time? A Retrospective

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the reverse when it comes to Wake hoops. I refuse to watch the first half of games now. Just tune in after halftime if we aren't getting smoked.

i know that this isn't true based on your carter whitt takes man

CT - TK brings up old bullshit (MDMH is cool though)

For anyone looking, AirPods are at Black Friday prices right now - $75 bucks off the pros, $40 off the 3rd gen, $30 off 2nd gen

Last edited:
Had to listen back to a recording of a meeting I chaired to send minutes/actions and fuuuuck I said “essentially” at least 15 times in an hour.
I got called on exactly this one back in 2013. I had no idea I was doing it

I've rewatched a few of my pre-recorded conference presentations and I don't think I have any verbal idiosyncrasies that bother me, but fuck I spend about 80% of the time looking up at the ceiling.

20 years of preaching/public speaking got rid of a lot of the verbal fillers, etc. but apparently when public speaking I have a tendency to slow blink.

what is meant by "psychoanalytic difficulties" of hearing yourself on a recording?

Why do some people recoil in horror at the sound of their own voice? Acousticians find that the answer lies in the physical discrepancy between bone and air induction. We do not typically think of ourselves as mere physical beings, however. This essay responds to Mladen Dolar’s theorization of voice as psychoanalytic object and the role of desire in hearing by positing the voice as an example of Julia Kristeva’s abject. The voice is neither the semantic nor the aesthetic qualities it carries, but the thing that that is unable to function as an object of desire and instead unsettles us – revealing an essential break in the Self.

have you ever met someone who absolutely loves the sound of their voice? there's quite a bit of psychoanalytic lit out there on how we use objects to define ourselves (literally our-selfs) from childhood (a lot of literature here) on up. i'm thinking through the opposite side of the coin - primarily from my experience teaching public speaking, where students display a range of reactions to hearing themselves (see: other reactions in this thread)

i need to rewrite that abstract a bit tho now that i look at it

there's a case study on Howard Dean's reaction to his own campaign-ending scream (from a book he wrote, quotes in the immediate aftermath and interviews he gave years later) where he tries to distance himself from his own voice

that's an example of the abject voice, imo.

Last edited:
I sound a lot more southern than I think I do. I get really southern when I talk about anything from NC.

and "psychoanalytic difficulties" is a bad way to think about it

i should have stopped at "anxiety"

Can't believe Baby Billy was just chilling out in Winston-Salem all along.

Last edited:
DR is spamming the sports board again. I was questioning why anyone would engage him, and I fucking jumped in and engaged him. He loves the Deacs, but JFC he shits all over our fans incessantly, and slobs all over everything Duke does.

I cackled when Baby Billy's elixir trailer flipped over

DR is spamming the sports board again. I was questioning why anyone would engage him, and I fucking jumped in and engaged him. He loves the Deacs, but JFC he shits all over our fans incessantly, and slobs all over everything Duke does.

If you haven’t personally started laying the foundation down on the new arena YOU ArE ThE ProBlEm!!!!!

If you haven’t personally started laying the foundation down on the new arena YOU ArE ThE ProBlEm!!!!!

We should all bring a dozen bricks and a small container of mortar. We could then start building the foundations of the DBR Arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back