• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"One of the largest events" in Groves Stadium history | Paul McCartney Sat, May 21

Dreaming as big as you could possibly dream, what is the biggest event a 30,000 seat stadium could attract? You’re setting this up to be a disappointment. Wake isn’t UGA (thank goodness) and Winston isn’t Charlotte (thank god).

BTW, my first guess was a Mexican soccer game, but I think a USWNT game is a good guess too.

I don't know why you'd host an outdoor concert there when you can get 23,500 people in Greensboro Coliseum or 19,500 at PNC Pavilion in Charlotte.

Buddy of mine is a big big Rams Clubber. A few years ago he's on the sidelines for a UNC football game and is standing next to a dude in a UNC cap with a sideline pass as well. They get to talking and my friend asks the guy where he's from and he says Granite Falls NC. They talk some more and he then asks what he does for a living and he says I am a musician. My friend asks if he plays around the Hickory area or where does he play. Dude says no I mostly play stadiums and arenas around the country. He had no clue it was Eric Church. Now they go to UNC games together. Church is a big donor to UNC athletics. And yes the APp fans I know are pissed about it.

BTW, my first guess was a Mexican soccer game, but I think a USWNT game is a good guess too.

I don't know why you'd host an outdoor concert there when you can get 23,500 people in Greensboro Coliseum or 19,500 at PNC Pavilion in Charlotte.

You can get 35k plus for a concert at Groves.

Guns n Roses had it as the only stop between like DC (or NY or something) and Miami a few years back

Guns n Roses had it as the only stop between like DC (or NY or something) and Miami a few years back

The tour lasted almost three years from April 2016 to November 2019. Ultimately they played everywhere, including Landover, DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, and Jacksonville. They even played Louisville twice.

Has a soccer game ever been played at Groves? My guess would be no, at least if they wanted the field anywhere close to generally accepted field size. The sideline space is small by most standards and most overlapping football fields and soccer fields require quite a bit more room. I guess you could do it in some kind of exhibition that doesn’t really matter.

The tour lasted almost three years from April 2016 to November 2019. Ultimately they played everywhere, including Landover, DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, and Jacksonville. They even played Louisville twice.

Sure but no one thought a tour with Axl and Slash could last that long. They played Groves in 2017 and there was always a good chance that could be the last show ever given the personalities.

Has a soccer game ever been played at Groves? My guess would be no, at least if they wanted the field anywhere close to generally accepted field size. The sideline space is small by most standards and most overlapping football fields and soccer fields require quite a bit more room. I guess you could do it in some kind of exhibition that doesn’t really matter.

Didn't the US just play a WC qualifier in Canada on a narrower-than-regulation pitch? No idea how narrow, and how narrow the pitch would be at Groves

Has a soccer game ever been promoted by AEG Presents? I'm seeing nothing but music on their site.

Has a soccer game ever been promoted by AEG Presents? I'm seeing nothing but music on their site.

Looks like they’re heavily involved with MLS, including partial ownership of several teams.

We used to sit around and do a bunch of bong hits and talk about how cool it would be in the Dead came to Winston and a bunch of Deadheads descended on campus and ate at Samplers.

We used to sit around and do a bunch of bong hits and talk about how cool it would be in the Dead came to Winston and a bunch of Deadheads descended on campus and ate at Samplers.

they've played GSO a few times, as have D&C and The Dead

Yeah, but that's not in an ON Campus Arena that's on my campus while I was a student ! I went to Greensboro and Charlotte shows.

From a venue size perspective it would kind of make sense as the shed shows have sold out.

Back