• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"One of the largest events" in Groves Stadium history | Paul McCartney Sat, May 21

Got there early and it was a piece of cake. Incredible show. Largest crowd I have ever seen at Truist Field, must have been around 35,000. Did take us about 45 minutes to get out of the parking lots. Maybe big event logistics is another thing for Currie to see if he can improve. Overall, an unforgettable night my family will never forget.

Struggle to understand the parking complaints. All communication clearly said to get there early, and that lots opened at 3. Stadium was >95% full once the show started, and as others have said it was the largest crowd I've ever seen there. Obviously the vast majority of people had no issues with getting in.

Was at the ND game where reported 35,000+ attended.

Based on the photos from last night, the only football seating blocked out was the grandstand in front of Bridget ( stage - 800 seats )and a combined 1,000 seats in the upper corners sidelines nearest the stage.

The field level seats had to be 4,000 folks....DH was packed plus I’m guessing another 1,000 in the tower gives me a guess of 36-37,000 attendees.

Glad the thunderstorms went elsewhere 🎩

The hosts of a podcast I listen to were talking about seeing Paul McCartney at SoFi Stadium in LA and also said the show was held for an hour because of traffic issues getting in to the stadium

I suppose my point is we could potentially offer something a bit different then the typical madness of huge events. I.e. See your favorite performer in Winston without all the headaches of a bigger city show. But. Maybe wishful thinking

Struggle to understand the parking complaints. All communication clearly said to get there early, and that lots opened at 3. Stadium was >95% full once the show started, and as others have said it was the largest crowd I've ever seen there. Obviously the vast majority of people had no issues with getting in.

Don’t understand either. Several emails telling you to get their early and parking lots open at 3:00 plus start going in by 6:00. Storm ceased about 6:30 so people start getting your asses in line and go in the stadium. Get to the parking lots early like they said. There is tons of security these days and if will take a little longer. Quit trying to arrive like a football or basketball game at kickoff or tip-off. With a sellout crowd of around 35,000, that won’t work at any venue! And we gave tons of parking.

Only complaint about logistics I have is there was a huge, snaking line to get in on the West side that eventually went up the sidewalk of the hill between Bridger and the West stands. There was nobody in the green vests telling people you didn't have to waste 30-45 minutes in the line, as there was no wait to go up the stairs in the middle of the concourse. One of our crew was curious as to why it appeared some people were getting in at the main gate, so he broke ranks and went and asked one of the green vest guys at the steps if you had to have a special ticket to get in that gate. His reply, "oh no, anybody can go in this way. The other line is for those who either can't or don't want to climb the steps"....or maybe b/c they just assumed you had to be in the line b/c several thousand others were there in front of you.
Oh, and I thought this was cool: we were down the steps and out the gate I'd say literally within a minute of McCartney saying "see you next time", and as we were walking behind Bridger a limo and two tour busses with the band and crew were already pulling away and headed to Deacon Blvd; couldn't have been more than 2 minutes after the show ended. The traffic guy told some of us who were standing there after they pulled away that while it was an impressively fast getaway, Billy Joel was on his bus and pulling away within 30 seconds of his show's end.
Any guesses or knowledge of where the band stayed after the concert? I'm guessing the Kimpton, but could also see McCartney himself making a quick limo ride to Smith-Reynolds and a private jet back to his home on Long Island. With two days between shows, he can easily jet hop and be there the day-of. Or maybe he pulled a Mick and went to Recreation Billiards and the next day took a stroll in Haynes Park.

Last edited:

Yeah I don’t get it either. I got there at 4:30 and parked next to the joel, no issues. They said for weeks to
expect lots of traffic and get there early.

Concert was a blast!

My nieces attended and said it was an amazing show. I've just never been a huge Beatles fan but I had no doubt McCartney would deliver in spades.

We manage parking for football games pretty well. It’s rarely a horrible wait in or out. Why is concert traffic a problem, even if there are a few more thousand?

Bigger crowd and people stay until the end of a concert.

Fortunately we have local knowledge to know to go right past 52 and take Cherry Street University Parkway in.

Bigger crowd and people stay until the end of a concert.

Exactly. Completely full house of at least 35,000 (which regardless of what they print for our attendance, visiting side shows we don’t have even 30k for State or UNC. Everybody stays to the end. Just like our State game that went down to the last onside kick and nobody left. Gonna have traffic at any venue and we have the BEST parking, bar none, of any school.

I loved every minute of this concert...I'm a big Beatles guy so it was in my wheel house, but my 15 son enjoyed it too. Paul still puts on a great show and rocks out. The crowd was freakin' awesome. I feel bad for the people who got stuck in traffic, but sometimes you just have to be creative and go park somewhere else and walk in (I don't understand people who would just go home rather than try this).

Concert review from the Observer.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article261598292.html

2 hr and 40 min for any performer is really good, for a man who turns 80 in less than 4 weeks, that is really impressive.
W-S being the first completely outdoor stadium he has done on this tour so far also means it is the first to get the full, outdoor Live and Let Die treatment with the fireworks both on the stage and overhead.

But any show where you end your main set with Hey Jude and end the concert with the Abbey Road Medley is just going to be fun to be part of. The new Peter Jackson infused I've Got a Feeling is emotional for many fans and even McCartney sometimes cracks up during Here Today (his tribute song to Lennon).

I did not go to the concert but have seen McCartney twice before. He puts on one of the best concerts you will ever see. His audience is so engaged and knows every song so it is a happy event.

It seems like the only people who had traffic issues were those from out of town who probably didn't bother to do any research about the multiple ways of getting to the stadium.

gotta love the hometown newspaper

I guess you gotta click to see the headline.

It seems like the only people who had traffic issues were those from out of town who probably didn't bother to do any research about the multiple ways of getting to the stadium.

Yeah I think that was definitely part of it. I stayed away from 52 this time. Most of the stories I read about issues were people who waited till 5:30 or later to try and go even though they said for weeks to get there early and expect heavy traffic. I remembered getting stuck in the Billy Joel traffic for several hours. I ended up parking in a shopping center and walking to that concert.

I did not want a repeat of that so I made sure Saturday to get there early (4:15).

That’s my impression as well. Read a complaint from a friend on Facebook who evidently was relying on road signs to get her to the stadium parking.

Back