• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hypothetical Seed Discussion (#8/#9 vs. #10 seed) (NWT)

WakeHornet

Reaction score
As we're reading the Bracketology tea leaves I'm interested in gauging the collective opinion here - while there is a greater probability to advance to the 2nd round as an 8 or 9 seed in NCAA tournament, the probability of making a run and advancing to the Sweet 16 as a 10 is substantially greater (16.4% as a 10 vs. 5% as a 9 and 9.3% as an 8)

If given the preference, would you choose to be seeded 10 and be a slightly greater underdog in round 1, but avoid a 2nd round match-up with a #1 seed - or be seeded an 8 or 9? Personally, give me the #10 seed everyday, let's roll the dice in R1 in an effort to increase the odds of advancing to the 2nd weekend of the tourney.

Last edited:
I'd choose 10 every time. But I think unless we win 5 more games at least, we are looking at one of the last 11 12's to get in.

The difference in a 6 seed and an 8 seed isn't usually that big. Then you get a 3 seed instead of a 1 if you win, that's a bigger gulf than the 6/8 gulf.

Wake is one of those teams that could end up as a 12 seed and be a nightmare for the 5.

Wake is one of those teams that could end up as a 12 seed and be a nightmare for the 5.

If we're an 11 or 12, we're in the play in game. If we win, then you get a tougher 1st round game and a fairly tough 2nd game as long as the 4 wins. If you're a 7-10, and you win in the 1st round, you most certainly get bounced in your next game against a top 10 team. None of it is too favorable. And I still think there's an excellent chance no ACC team survives the 1st weekend. You just watch teams like Baylor, Kansas and Auburn, and they're playing at a higher level than Duke. Duke is just mostly feasting on a bad ACC.

If we're an 11 or 12, we're in the play in game. If we win, then you get a tougher 1st round game and a fairly tough 2nd game as long as the 4 wins. If you're a 7-10, and you win in the 1st round, you most certainly get bounced in your next game against a top 10 team. None of it is too favorable. And I still think there's an excellent chance no ACC team survives the 1st weekend. You just watch teams like Baylor, Kansas and Auburn, and they're playing at a higher level than Duke. Duke is just mostly feasting on a bad ACC.

Duke just about choked on that feast Tuesday night. Let’s stay hungry and get in.

Get the highest seed you can, selection Sunday is less stressful that way. The most important thing is to have a ticket to the NCAAT that starts on a Thursday or Friday.

We are finishing 5-1 and getting a 6/7 seed.

We are finishing 5-1 and getting a 6/7 seed.

If that loss is one of the Q3 games remaining, and the ACC Tournament has some upsets so there isn't a Q1 win to be had, Wake's seed won't be that high. If the only loss in the remaining games is in the ACC Tournament final to Duke, then, yeah, a 6 or 7 seed is realistic.

I didn't really pay attention to the Oregon/Az game (came to the last second @ Az), but might not be bad to be in the 8/9 with Az.

You just never know. Being old, I remember us set up to play #1 in the country Oregon St, in the second round in 81. They were upset (pre-64/68 field), so we had the entire bracket set up to play from the #1 seed position, but we went out and lost our game to BC.

If that loss is one of the Q3 games remaining, and the ACC Tournament has some upsets so there isn't a Q1 win to be had, Wake's seed won't be that high. If the only loss in the remaining games is in the ACC Tournament final to Duke, then, yeah, a 6 or 7 seed is realistic.

Semifinal to Duke they’ll be one we’ll be the four seed and beat UNC in the 4/5 game.

we're going to be a MISERABLE tournament matchup for everyone

just one of those teams that you don't really want to play.... and a badass coach on the sideline doesn't make any more fun

we're going to be a MISERABLE tournament matchup for everyone

just one of those teams that you don't really want to play.... and a badass coach on the sideline doesn't make any more fun

Two guys who can get buckets all over the court and five other guys ranging from 6-1 to 7-0 who could get hot from deep. The 6-1 guy can drive to the basket. The 6-10 and 7-0 guy score in the post. Yeah, nobody would want to play us.

Take it easy guys. I've already had to change boxers twice reading this thread. Vibe overload.

We are unranked and somewhere near the bubble. Win out and ACCT, maybe we get a 3 seed.

1996 TD team only got a 2 seed.

We are unranked and somewhere near the bubble. Win out and ACCT, maybe we get a 3 seed.

1996 TD team only got a 2 seed.

The Maryland 2004 team won the ACCT as a 7-9 6 seed got a #4 seed in the NCAAT. So I think a #3 or #4 would be possible.

I still think we need to finish the season 3-0 to guarantee we make it. That gives us a little* margin for error if we were to slip up and lose the first round of the ACCT.

Back