• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil Mickleson

the pga tour might be greedy as hell - but fuck phil for this lack of self awareness:

“They’re scary motherf—–s to get involved with,” he said. “We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates. They’ve [the PGA Tour] been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”

Went to a clinic/exhibition by Curtis Strange at Morehead City CC shortly after he was Ryder Cup captain in 2002. A reporter from the local paper asked him what it was like managing twelve personalities as captain. I've never forgotten his answer: "Well, it was more like managing 13 or 14 because Phil has at least 2 or 3".

the pga tour might be greedy as hell - but fuck phil for this lack of self awareness:

They’re scary motherf—–s to get involved with,” he said. “We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates. They’ve [the PGA Tour] been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”

So, the PGA tour is so bad, it's worth getting involved with people like that? Come in Phil, I've been a Phil fan, but this is ridiculous to me.

I've always hated him, and this gives us even more reason to hate him. His contention appears to be that the guys at the top don't get enough of the $$. Dude is the 2nd highest career earner behind Tiger at $94mil, and he's worth $400mil. He's doing okay. Not that we should feel bad for tour pros, but it's the newer guys who have missed 7 cuts in a row and who may have gone into debt to pursue their dream who I have sympathy for. Or LPGA players who aren't top 20 players and who don't make $$ doing ads. Those women ain't killing it. On top of that, he openly acknowledges the human rights atrocities of the people he's about to get in bed with (which also might not be the smartest thing to say if you do get in bed with them). And I thought Qaron Rodgers was tone deaf.

There are other tours, right? How is this a “once in a lifetime” opportunity? If they went and played in Europe or Asia, the money would follow.

I’m with Phil. Pricks get shit done. He would not fit in at Wake. Does what needs to be done to win in life.

That’s right. All Wake Forest grads are losers on DR’s scoreboard of life. Gotcha. I know a lot of attorneys who aren’t pricks and are among the best lawyers in NC. The vast majority attended law school at WFU or UNC.

That’s really cool that you know some lawyers. Cute schools too.

WTH did you start this thread on a WF message board?

Big game tomorrow. Lots of cheap tickets on the board.

“They’re scary motherf—–s to get involved with,” he said. “We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates. They’ve [the PGA Tour] been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”

Phil unintentionally cratered the Bonesaw Tour with rhis interview. DJ and Bryson have come scurrying back quicker than shit thru a goose.

Anyone have Phil Mickelson being decapitated by the Saudis in their 2022 Bingo?

He hasn’t made many friends. But he’s made a ton of cash.
He gets shit done. He does what it takes to win on the scoreboards of life. Who needs friends? The Shark would fit in at Duke. I’ll bet he’s close with Coach K. Both of them won about 5 big ones and choked on the rest.

“I don’t want to kick someone while he’s down obviously, but I thought they were naive, selfish, egotistical, ignorant,” said McIlroy of Mickelson’s comments. “A lot of words to describe that interaction he had. It was just very surprising and disappointing, sad. I’m sure he’s sitting at home sort of rethinking his position and where he goes from here.”

Enough said. And LK is correct. Phil unintentionally cratered the Saudi tour. And at least DJ sounded firmly committed to the PGA tour. DeChambeau left more wiggle room with his comments - big surprise. I appreciate how Rory has helped lead the charge in support of the PGA tour and against the Saudi tour.

Coach K won 5 national titles instead of 40. Real loser that guy.

Get real.

Coach K won 5 national titles instead of 40. Real loser that guy.

Get real.

Give Dave Odom the best players in the nation for 40 years and he could probably win 5 nattys. Anyone could. Lehigh, Mercer, VCU... choked like Greg Norman plenty of times.

Back