• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil Mickleson

Brandel is almost always right and he is here again.

Phil didn't even do anything wrong. This is the owners of the PGA Tour illegally stamping down competition so they can keep their monopoly so they can protect money.

But no matter how you feel about that, it's pretty clear Mickelson did draft this since it's not even an apology at all.

how can you possibly expect anyone to listen to your opinions about mundane things like arenas when you hear what mickelson said and want to high five him?

I don't get at all how the PGA are the bad guys here. They've worked hand in hand with the European tour for years. So now the $audis want to start a tour directly in competition with both the PGA and DP tours and siphon off their best players. The PGA responds in a logical manner and saying fine, if you want to play the LIV tour, go do it, but you're not coming back here. And I get why older guys like Figjam and Scott would consider such a move. What I don't get is why younger players would do it. You'd rather take a $audi cash grab than have the opportunity to compete for majors and Ryder Cups? That DeChambeau was thinking about it just figures. That DJ was considering it while he's still in his prime is extremely disappointing to me. I was never a huge fan but was happy to see him get his 2 majors. But I'm not rooting for him any longer.

Phil just poured jet fuel on the fire he created. I hope LIV is paying him a ton of money because he just ruined any opportunity to take Azinger's job after he retires. And I've been dying to see someone take Azinger's job. I loved and miss Kenny and Johnny. Faldo is the most smug human on the planet and loves to talk about himself, but he's at least decent in the booth. Azinger is awful.

This is the owners of the PGA Tour illegally stamping down competition so they can keep their monopoly so they can protect money.

What specifically have they done that is illegal?

So Norman and the Saudi’s are going to file an antitrust case against the PGA Tour? I doubt it.

Phil is still sore over 'The Match' having to pay ~$1MM to the tour because of media rights.

He neglects the fact that he made 9× that, by playing one round of exhibition golf.

Phil is still sore over 'The Match' having to pay ~$1MM to the tour because of media rights.

He neglects the fact that he made 9× that, by playing one round of exhibition golf.

And it was Turner Sports (TNT) that paid it. It's like an actor getting mad at a production company for charging Netflix the license/rights to stream a movie/show. And let's be honest, this stuff is not the reason he was trying to do the Saudi tour thing. He's pretty much done with his career, and he was offered over a $100M to do it. So basically money and ego. Then when he realized he was going to (and started to) get a bunch of blowback for the whole Saudi human rights thing, he tried to come up with some flimsy excuse.

So Norman and the Saudi’s are going to file an antitrust case against the PGA Tour? I doubt it.

The Saudi's are all about honoring the rule of law.

Poor Phil, the PGA has squeezed him for cash for too long:

27542412-10473657-Mickelson_and_Woods_will_play_without_crowds_due_to_social_dista-m-15_1643908851691.jpg

I've been thinking about this rival tour, and if it gets going, the tour it'll hurt the most isn't the PGA or DP, it'll be the senior tour. I just don't see top 100 players in their 20s and 30s playing on it, other than DeChambeau. I think the LIV will end up being more about big names than current level of play. I think they'll end up getting a bunch of names in their 40s who aren't as good as they once were, and they'll play there till their 50s. They'll have to have a viable TV contract, but I don't think that will be with TGC. So I'd guess Fox Sports and maybe Russia Today.

The senior tour is going to be hurt because Phil was positioned to carry it for the next 5-10 years. If Tiger can get back in shape, Phil vs. Tiger would have been a huge payday for both and older golfers. But he had to screw it up.

Like I said…. Lawsuit coming next. Players even more pissed at Commissioner now…

Stamping out competition is against the law in this country.

Like I said…. Lawsuit coming next. Players even more pissed at Commissioner now…

Stamping out competition is against the law in this country.

Players? Name them. Everyone I've heard has denounced Phil. You also need a case in controversy to have a lawsuit. Before that, you need an actual $audi league with an actual schedule so that you can have a PGA/DP player attempting to do both and have the PGA/DP tour take action against that person. Judges don't just hand out advisory opinions.

Hope it was worth it for Mickelson. Does he have any sponsors left?

i do like how phil managed to say nothing false AND enrage everyone on both sides. that's a special talent

The senior tour is going to be hurt because Phil was positioned to carry it for the next 5-10 years. If Tiger can get back in shape, Phil vs. Tiger would have been a huge payday for both and older golfers. But he had to screw it up.

I can't really see Tiger playing much on the senior tour, but maybe I'm wrong. I think once he gets old enough, he'll just hang it up entirely.

Much like Lebron, I could see Tiger motivated to stick around and be a regular touring pro if Charlie makes the PGA Tour.

Whatever Tiger wants to do will come with plenty of $$$ attached if he's in playing shape.

Back