• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phil Mickleson

Did that rumored story about him cheating on his wife ever come out? Didn’t somebody say that was happening like 10+ years ago?

Yeah. I know. I was asking about that rumored story. Apparently taking Saudi money is cool for Americans now, so no big deal.

That's a pretty low comment considering Amy had breast cancer.

Crap. Had no idea. My bad. Never realized that or even connected the dots. Regardless, Phil is a tool....And he has man boobs and is a tool..

Last edited:
You guys realize he's more than likely bluffing, right? The PGA does a lot of good things, but it certainly doesn't act as a non-profit (which it is), and definitely often does not act in the best interest of it's cash-cow players. How does a non-profit legally grow and sit on an $800 million pile of cash?

is that $800 million accurate or is Phil just throwing out a number he once saw without understanding it

I mean, he said the tour has $20 BILLION in digital assets

I would never do that if I were a PGA player, and I would never play in that tournament there for the large fee for showing up. That said, I can understand why guys like Phil and Adam Scott would leap at that kind of $$ at their ages and stages of their career. It beats the senior tour. But for any younger players, they shouldn't even consider it, and it would be the ultimate cop out and sell out. Yes, I'm looking at you, DeChambeau. That he's even considering it tells you all you need to know about that asshat.

is that $800 million accurate or is Phil just throwing out a number he once saw without understanding it

Seems like an estimate of how much the Tour could make if they relinquished some control over digital assets.

I heard a couple of analysts on golf channel last week say the numbers Phil was throwing out weren't accurate, I don't know how true that is. I don't doubt that the tour is greedy (every sports league is) but to use Phils words about Saudi government- "They’re scary motherfuckers to get involved with. We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. "

I love watching Phil play and some of the shots he makes are truly incredible. However, Phil the person is dick at times.

The following things can all be true:

Mickleson can be a dick sometimes
Mickelson can be right about the PGA Tour not spending as much money as they probably could on the players
It is prudent for the PGA Tour not to spend as much money other players as Phil/other players want them to

I think the bottom line of all of this is:

1) Phil and other big name players flirting with the saudi league will look like dicks, probably not go, and will only marginally move the needle with PGA Tour policy/payouts
2) The only players who will go to the Saudi league are ones who aren't making tens of millions now and stand to make tens of millions if they win in Saudi Arabia

Honestly how could Phil to go Saudi Arabia after saying what he said.... he's likely already on some watch lists over there after speaking so frankly.

EDITED TO ADD - If the PGA Tour is truly a nonprofit (I'd never heard that before and don't care enough to check) they'd be required to file reports annually, all of which would be publicly available on websites like Guidestar.com. So anyone who has the time and cares enough could go and look them up and see their revenues, expenses, and cash reserves. The only problem is that they're usually only made available at least a year after the year end in question, so we'd only be able to see data from 2019 or 2020 at this point.

Last edited:
Agree with the comments about Phil ... his ego has always been big, but it's moved from being egotistical about his golf game to be egotistical about his world view

also, if you put all the rumored pieces together ... can't say I would be super excited to watch a golf tournament in Saudia Arabia on bland desert courses that featured Adam Scott, Phil Michelson, and Lee Westwood ... maybe if it was 2005?

Life definitely has always and will always be very cruel to professional golfers. I am very sympathetic for the monetary concerns of this group of people.

Yeah - this "tour" is going to be another Greg Norman choke job. And I find it pathetic that Phil is trying to sell an obvious cash grab from very dubious sources as some sort of noble stand against the PGA Tour. And I don't get who he is talking about when he talks about "them" hoarding all this money. It's not like other sports where there are owners. I'm sure the top executives of the Tour make a pretty good salary, and maybe get some nice bonuses, but I'm pretty sure they (or anyone) don't have access to whatever surplus the Tour has. And I also believe some of the value of the Tour goes toward a huge pension fund, for which pay-out is based on the number of cuts you made in your career. So someone like Phil is probably owed at least 5 digits from that, so some of the money he's complaining about will come back to him.

Back