• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul: "[The 05 Team] Should Have Won the Championship"

It’s not even close.

Yup. Saturday night in the dorms, been drinking and watching the tournament all day in anticipation of that night. Fantastic first half, absolutely soul crushing second half into OT. No one said much when it was over, just eventually went to bed quietly.

I was watching Tony Rutland run circles around Stephon Marbury and drain long 3's and thought "damn, we are GOOD."

Then he blows out his knee. I mean I have seen that since, but not often.

Oh and 2005.

And maybe the year we beat Depaul - at least a final 4 in my lifetime!

This. Also the '95 squad the year prior. I remember leaving Greensboro Coliseum after the ACCT thinking, "I think we'll take it all this year."

Worst sports loss of my life, don't think it can ever be topped. *Years* of build up only to end in absolute disaster. I'll be lamenting that game for the rest of my life.

95 NCAA vs. OkSt was worse.

deep in my soul, I knew the season was over when the nuts were punched. Having that distraction right before the postseason ugh.

deep in my soul, I knew the season was over when the nuts were punched. Having that distraction right before the postseason ugh.

I was at the 1st Round ACC tourney game vs State where we struggled to break 60. It was a horrowing experience, and a precursor to the next year

Between WV, the 09 Cleveland steamer and Panthers dropping a deuce in the super bowl idk why I even bother with sports.

If you were around for 95, that was the worst. We were a #1 seed, #3 in the country and entered the NCAAT on a 10 game winning streak. We played defense, Duncan was ascending, Childress just finished the greatest ACCT performance in the history of the tournament.

Expectations were understandably high. Other than the Childress flu and 'Big Country' we were heading to the final 4.

After watching the game with IAppreciateIt and a few others, I went to Benson, bought a pint of ice cream, curled up under the covers, and ate the entire pint.

What a bitch.

I watched at BWW and enjoyed the experience of townies delighting in our loss

If you were around for 95, that was the worst. We were a #1 seed, #3 in the country and entered the NCAAT on a 10 game winning streak. We played defense, Duncan was ascending, Childress just finished the greatest ACCT performance in the history of the tournament.

Expectations were understandably high. Other than the Childress flu and 'Big Country' we were heading to the final 4.

That's my take. The WVU loss hurt, but those of us that had been around felt these same feelings before, if not worse from '95. That was a major upset and we should have never lost to that Oklahoma State team.

I got a nice suite in Myrtle Beach to go party and celebrate a sweet 16 and elite 8 victories. Fucking Pittsnogle! Horrific loss.

Seeing Childress sitting on the court during free-throws because he didn't have the energy just broke my heart. We watched in the Benson theater and lots of people cried.

That's my take. The WVU loss hurt, but those of us that had been around felt these same feelings before, if not worse from '95. That was a major upset and we should have never lost to that Oklahoma State team.

UMass and Camby were on tap in the E8 iirc. My hopes weren't as high for that one as the bracket Wake found themselves in if they would have beaten WVU

that UMass team was good and Chill was sick

Louisville was a dramatically underseeded #4 in our region in '05 at least. I don't believe we would have been favored to beat them. Not to mention Illinois and UNC had stacked rosters.

And WVU played well in the following games and Beilein proved to be a HOF coach, so it could be worse

Back