• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul: "[The 05 Team] Should Have Won the Championship"

jamaal levy had the worst game of his career.

what i am always bummed about is that big e made two of the best most clutch plays i’ve ever seen but it was all forgotten bc of the loss

I just remember we had Richard Joyce playing meaningful minutes in OT due to foul outs

Levy shooting the technical free throws was the most egregious coaching error. Not sure what the assistant coaches did for Skip's staff, but that was a blunder of epic proportions. I went to this game and I definitely have not gotten over it even now.

True that was a horrible call by Skip, but his ultimate Achilles was his infatuation with 3 guard lineup. Largely avoided it in 1st half and Visser and Vytas played meaningful minutes and combined for some points and good rebounding as well as clogging it up in the middle on D and we had a nice halftime lead of 13 and then it was as if vytas and visser were no longer on bench and just disappeared in 2nd half. Like maybe 5 mins between the 2 in 2nd half at most? It was 3 guards and levy and big E and just was completely blind to how our D was so much worse than our O better with the 3 guards.

'05 hurt, but if you were around for '95, you knew that '05 team was going to have to have a lot of luck to reach a FF. We still had the same issues the St. Joe's team from the previous year exploited-- namely a small backcourt. They weren't as good as the '05 team, and between the Odom years and the first Prosser years, we lost every game in the NCAA tourney where we weren't clearly the better team and a few where we were. A few games, like Kentucky (a few times) and Butler required sitting on a donut pillow for a month afterwards the pain from our asshole raping was so severe.

'05 hurt, but if you were around for '95, you knew that '05 team was going to have to have a lot of luck to reach a FF. We still had the same issues the St. Joe's team from the previous year exploited-- namely a small backcourt. They weren't as good as the '05 team, and between the Odom years and the first Prosser years, we lost every game in the NCAA tourney where we weren't clearly the better team and a few where we were. A few games, like Kentucky (a few times) and Butler required sitting on a donut pillow for a month afterwards the pain from our asshole raping was so severe.

this is crazy

we lost 4 regular season games - @ Illinois (a final four team), @ FSU in OT, @ GT in OT, and @ Duke when walk-ons mauled our players

we also beat the following top 25 teams: arizona, texas, unc, cinci, duke, nc state, ga tech

that team was perfectly capable and talented enough (without any luck - just playing to their potential) to make a final four

Just echoing everyone that I have never gotten over being Pittsnoggled. That loss still hurts worse than I can even explain. I just never thought we were going to lose that game- and the way that we lost it. The Levy FTs- baffling. I can remember screaming at the TV in a bar with my dad. I almost got into a physical altercation with some bitch next to me who felt like it would be fun to root for WV since I seemed to care about the game. Worst night as a sports fan ever. Crushes me to this day.

The '95 loss is just as bad for me. I was at the game in the Meadowlands. Timmy and Chill deserved a final 4!

The WV loss was a killer, for sure... For all of CP's greatness I remember Downey making multiple clutch shots to keep us in the game late. Gansey just wouldn't miss!

God i loved Taron. The throat slash, the FT streak, the FSU game... Tears. That was a tough team to reconcile results with.

All the hype and jubilation at halftime....I specifically remember where I was and at what brick in my Dorm room wall that I threw my beer when we lost that game.

Never seen so many people so utterly drained and void of all hope and desire in their souls that the people on campus watching with us that night or the next day.

I've never experienced another sports loss like it, including the Panthers Super Bowl 50 loss (not that grand in the light of this game).

As absolutely mediocre as the 06 team was, I’m hard pressed to think the supporting cast was good enough to win it all. And, well, they didn’t.

Chris Paul: "[The 05 Team] Should Have Won the Championship"

As absolutely mediocre as the 06 team was, I’m hard pressed to think the supporting cast was good enough to win it all. And, well, they didn’t.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the seniors on that team, who were a huge part of the supporting cast. Vytas, Taron and Jamaal were a huge reason why that team was as good as it was. Our bench was crazy short the next year. Not to mention, if we had an even serviceable PG in ‘06, we would have been much better than we were.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the seniors on that team, who were a huge part of the supporting cast. Vytas, Taron and Jamaal were a huge reason why that team was as good as it was. Our bench was crazy short the next year. Not to mention, if we had an even serviceable PG in ‘06, we would have been much better than we were.

Like another year of Taron and that team is a tough out in the tournament.

don’t want to read too much into one game, but we looked like shit when cp was out with suspension.

We also looked like shit the whole next season.

Back