• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul: "[The 05 Team] Should Have Won the Championship"

Maybe no nut punch would have helped. And letting Skip know you were leaving sooner so we could get a better PG than Joe Dukes!

The 1995 team entered the NCAA tournament having won 10 in a row. 7 of those wins were over top 20 teams, including two over UNC who was #2 and #4 when WF beat them. At that point, not only was it clear that WF was the best team in a loaded ACC (that was the year Randolph went nuclear in the ACC tournament), but WF had proved it was better than UNC as WF had beaten UNC on the road and on a neutral court in the last two weeks heading to the NCAA tournament. As mentioned in the thread, after the ACC tournament, Randolph got sick and was not close to form for the NCAAs. Even so, WF advanced to the Sweet 16 to play Eddie Sutton's OK State team led by "Big Country" Brian Reeves. In the last minute of a tie game, an OK State forward named Jason Skaer banked in a misfired three point shot, and then Tony Rutland had a three point shot go in and out. WF loses, and OK State advanced to the Final 4. In addition to the maddening loss because Childress was limited and the unlucky banked in three; UNC naturally advanced to the Final 4 without playing a close game in their regional. Sickening.

After the game, as I wandered through the atrium of the WF hotel in NJ after the game, and a piano playing and someone singing. Looked over and it was future actor Marc Blucas. Blucas had graduated the year before, but had traveled to the Meadowlands to see WF advance to their first Final 4 since 1962. Pure pain.

Blucas sighting!

I was watching some random movie, with a diner scene in the 60's, maybe Pleasantville (?), and a guy had like 1 line and I went...holy hell...that's Blucas.

We beat #5 F$U and #4 NCst before running into #1 Dook.

200.gif

Seriously ? That's what you're going with for a team that went 3-13 in the ACC ?

i do think that was skip's worst coaching year. we barely beat GMU (who went to the final four, 22nd in KP)) and then barely lost to florida (best team in the country) and panicked bc neither of those teams were well-regarded at the time and started playing harvey hale and shamaine dukes wayyy too much instead of chris ellis, visser, drum, etc. until the end of the season.

Yeah. Justin Gray gets a ton of flack for not being a true PG. But Skip didn’t get enough flack for only winning 3 games with a 3 time 1st or 2nd team All-ACC guard leading the show and a 2 time All-ACC center and a future All-ACC center on the bench. That team absolutely should have won more games.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the seniors on that team, who were a huge part of the supporting cast. Vytas, Taron and Jamaal were a huge reason why that team was as good as it was. Our bench was crazy short the next year. Not to mention, if we had an even serviceable PG in ‘06, we would have been much better than we were.

Fair. Taron on the 06 team and it is much better. But that 2005 team had one NBA player on it. UNC had six guys that suited up in the NBA.

BSD, were you at Fox and Hound for the WVU game? I watched there with a big group of people, but don’t remember exactly who. I got home and ran into our friend (and former poster, if I recall correctly) leaving my apartment saying “I’m going to get more wine; am I buying for 4 or for 6 because anyone who is drinking is drinking for 2 tonight.”

I remember looking at the play-by-play and WVU had something absurd like 1.8 points per possession over the last 5 minutes of regulation and the overtimes. We would have been better off literally fouling them every single time they had the ball (fouling out obviously would have been an issue)

btw Joyce played one minute in that game and went 0-2 with 2 offensive rebounds and a turnover

Chris is right. All of the pieces were there. It's a shame they couldn't convert. Who wound up winning that year in their place? I can't remember.

Chris is right. All of the pieces were there. It's a shame they couldn't convert. Who wound up winning that year in their place? I can't remember.

some rogue institution who cheated down to the very core of their academic mission

I don't remember who they were either

God, you folks are bring up the P word from WV. I'm out of this thread.

some rogue institution who cheated down to the very core of their academic mission

I don't remember who they were either

UCLA. But I almost typed Kentucky out of pure instinct after reading this.

Also, UNC fits the description very neatly as well, if by chance you're referring to the '05 year instead.

Yeah. Justin Gray gets a ton of flack for not being a true PG. But Skip didn’t get enough flack for only winning 3 games with a 3 time 1st or 2nd team All-ACC guard leading the show and a 2 time All-ACC center and a future All-ACC center on the bench. That team absolutely should have won more games.

This. That team struggled defining their roles. Way too late, but they finally put it together in the acc tourney. Also, gray was certainly not a true pg but he gets too much shit for his performance playing out of position. Probably because he was being compared, unfairly, to a once a generation point guard.

This. That team struggled defining their roles. Way too late, but they finally put it together in the acc tourney. Also, gray was certainly not a true pg but he gets too much shit for his performance playing out of position. Probably because he was being compared, unfairly, to a once a generation point guard.

we were significantly better that year with gray playing pg with a bigger / better shooting lineup and running lots of pick and roll than when we tried to use harvey hale or sha(r)maine dukes at pg.

BSD, were you at Fox and Hound for the WVU game? I watched there with a big group of people, but don’t remember exactly who. I got home and ran into our friend (and former poster, if I recall correctly) leaving my apartment saying “I’m going to get more wine; am I buying for 4 or for 6 because anyone who is drinking is drinking for 2 tonight.”
I was at F&H in uptown CLT for that game. In the basement.

Yes i was!

Back