• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul: "[The 05 Team] Should Have Won the Championship"

Haha well we didn’t actually meet until about a year later because yeah that would have been tough if we were dating when that game happened

Felton was actually pretty good, but obviously not as good as CP3.

Marvin Williams was the best of a bunch of shitty NBA players on that UNC team. Sean and Rashad barely had a cup of coffee in the NBA and Felton had staying power, but meh. None of them come close to what Chris has been.

Marvin Williams was the best of a bunch of shitty NBA players on that UNC team. Sean and Rashad barely had a cup of coffee in the NBA and Felton had staying power, but meh. None of them come close to what Chris has been.

i believe mccants had some mental health issues that held him back

is being a fucking moron mental health issues? If not he had both

For me at least, some of the sting will go away if CP3 wins a title with the Suns

For me at least, some of the sting will go away if CP3 wins a title with the Suns

Tim Duncan won 5 championships and that didn’t take away any of the sting of not making a Final Four with him.

Tim Duncan won 5 championships and that didn’t take away any of the sting of not making a Final Four with him.

Timmy should have won 6 if Pop had not taken him out before Allen's shot.... Spurs just needed one more rebound. :(

I can’t speak to Duncan’s Wake teams but the ‘05 team encapsulates how much value CP3 has brought to every team he has ever been on. We are so fortunate to have had 2 of the top 30 basketball players ever come to Wake. Obviously not making final fours with these guys sucks but seeing them ‘get the roses’ with NBA success helps take away some of the sting at least for me. I’ve been rooting for the Suns just as much if not more than Wake’s bball team this year.

Id be curious to understand when folks graduated to correlate how much our affinity for a given team is driven by how old we are / how we identify with a particular team.

I graduated in 95 and think that team had it all. Guards, bigs, role players who knew their role, defense, coaching, etc. I can still see the Jason Skaer banked three followed by Rutlands theee that was 3/4 of the way down before coming out.

In contrast, I always thought the 06 team had a fatal flaw on the defensive side of things that would hold them back. Never thought they had a final 4 in them, but also never thought they’d get bounced in round 2 either.

Id be curious to understand when folks graduated to correlate how much our affinity for a given team is driven by how old we are / how we identify with a particular team.

I graduated in 95 and think that team had it all. Guards, bigs, role players who knew their role, defense, coaching, etc. I can still see the Jason Skaer banked three followed by Rutlands theee that was 3/4 of the way down before coming out.

In contrast, I always thought the 06 team had a fatal flaw on the defensive side of things that would hold them back. Never thought they had a final 4 in them, but also never thought they’d get bounced in round 2 either.

It’s ok to say both teams were great. 1995 had an extra NBA player, but not the one anyone thought in 1995. The 05 team played 75% of the FF that year and beat half of them, including the eventual national champion. Both teams had the best eventual best player on a college roster in the country.

There is definitely a generation think to it. I can't say anything about our Final 4 team, but being old I've gotten to see both of these.

1995 team ended the year by beating:
#7 MD
#18 GT
#11 UVA
#2 UNC
#11 UVA
#4 UNC

We hadn't won at UNC since 82, obviously Childress had never won there, and we had to win that game to be able to get the #1 seed in the ACCT.

The 2005 team lost to #7 dook in the last 9 games before the NCAA's. We didn't play any other ranked teams to end the season. Of course we still haven't won at dook since 1997, winning at Cameron would have been more of a stamp on our championship aspirations.

Childress and Duncan were both on All American teams in 1995. We all knew we were a legit #1 seed with expectations of a final 4.

There is definitely a generation think to it. I can't say anything about our Final 4 team, but being old I've gotten to see both of these.

1995 team ended the year by beating:
#7 MD
#18 GT
#11 UVA
#2 UNC
#11 UVA
#4 UNC

We hadn't won at UNC since 82, obviously Childress had never won there, and we had to win that game to be able to get the #1 seed in the ACCT.

The 2005 team lost to #7 dook in the last 9 games before the NCAA's. We didn't play any other ranked teams to end the season. Of course we still haven't won at dook since 1997, winning at Cameron would have been more of a stamp on our championship aspirations.

Childress and Duncan were both on All American teams in 1995. We all knew we were a legit #1 seed with expectations of a final 4.

It is hard to comprehend now that we won 5 times in a row at Cameron - from RoRo's last game there through all 4 of Timmy's years...

Which year was it that Robert Goulet sang an ESPN promo preseason that had us going to The Final Four? Based on that criteria, would say whatever season that was is our most disappointing.

Which year was it that Robert Goulet sang an ESPN promo preseason that had us going to The Final Four? Based on that criteria, would say whatever season that was is our most disappointing.

1997. Duncan’s senior year.

"That Duncan kid's name. It ain't just a noun, it's a verb, its a baaaaad verb!"

"That Duncan kid's name. It ain't just a noun, it's a verb, its a baaaaad verb!"

I had forgotten about this! It is awesome and sad at the same time.

One of the things about the 1995 team was that no one really expected us to be that great. We were ranked around #24-25 to start the season and then just slowly climbed in the poll, finished at #3 in the AP. It was an anomaly for Wake basketball which typically would start out strong and then fade in February and March.

Back