• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul: "[The 05 Team] Should Have Won the Championship"

this year's team has just been like one win away from solidifying itself as a top 25 team... the ass whooping at Syracuse, the farted away home game against Miami, and the loss @ Clemson were all really tough lost opportunities

I agree with you there as well. We didn’t force turnovers or run with that team, which is mind blowing.

the worst team we lost to in 2009 was #66 Cleveland State

Don’t get me wrong I loved that team and they were very good, but down the stretch it was noticeable and maybe the biggest topic of conversation around that team. At some point teams would just pack the paint and dare them to shoot from the outside. And we either a) wouldn’t shoot and our 2% suffered and/or b) we’d take them up on the open looks and usually we suffered. Maryland in the ACCT was the most glaring example of it but we saw it a lot down the stretch during our collapse once the scouting report was out. We then tried to win with bully ball and we had enough talent that it still worked a decent amount, but good teams had that trump card against us down the stretch and we had no answer.

Our effective Fg% was under 50 in 8 of our last 15 games. Under 35% in two of those where we had zero answers offensively when teams schemed us well. We were 52.0% eFG in conference play, good for second then but would be just 7th in this year’s ACC.

By comparison we’ve been under 50% just 6 times all this year, under 40% once (LSU).

Down the stretch that year we went 6-4 in our last 10 games. In 3 of the 4 losses, we had eFG% of at least 54%. The exception was Maryland. We lost those three games because we gave up 1.1 points per possession or more, not because we couldn’t shoot

And yeah…effective shooting is globally better in 2021 than it was in 2009.

Back