• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Give Robert McCray more PT

Yeah. Whitt made a name for himself by showing up to random gyms and playing basketball with other kids he didn't even know. Basketball players at this level know how to fit in, especially PGs.

My point is that Whitt had the biggest change in his role of the returning guys. He went from starting (14/19 games) point guard playing a lot of minutes (e.g. 33 vs GaTech in ACC Tournament) every game last spring to a lightly used scrub. Last year he was the primary ball handler and led the team in assists in multiple games.

He now spends most of game time on the bench. He goes in as th 6th, 7th or 8th guy. And when he is on the court, Manman and Williamson generally have the ball. When Whitt is on the court, it almost looks like he is afraid to run the offense like he did last year. He seems to be thinking and not just playing. And because he is not playing his game, he makes lots of mistakes. And the indecision has had a major negative impact on his shooting. And his shooting wasn't great last year. This year his splinters greatly exceed his minutes.

Last year when he was on the court, the ball was in his hands. This season, he just isn't sure who should have the ball. Him? Manman? Jake? Daivien? And all that thinking leads to turnovers.

I don't buy the fit in stuff, sounds like people who never played basketball. He plays 5-10 min a game, he doesn't need to fit in perfectly with everyone. Go out there, hustle, hit maybe 2/10 open shots and don't give the ball away. That's all we ask, and apparently that is way too much.

Whitt goes 2/10 we'd have 50 pages on that.

I really thought and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here that Whitt would be a starter this year and play 25-28 minutes a game. I thought the experience last year and a whole offseason to improve would prove invaluable. Instead, he is worse in every measurable way to look at a basketball player. I certainly trust Steve Forbes , but...wow...I'd like to give Mccray a chance to see what he could do.

It's true we don't have a pure PG, but when Alondes showed up and is the POY candidate he is, Whitt's chances of starting went to zero. The only option would be to put Williamson on the bench. Given that, at best, he should have been expected for an effective 15 min a game.

This is the mythical back up QB Is better than the starter that fans love to engage in.

Forbes et al watch these guys practice daily for months. If there was some magical unicorn hiding on the bench, we'd be playing him. Unless you think our staff is somehow not interested in playing the best players or poor evaluators of talent.

I love McCray and think his athleticism is off the charts. But it should be clear at this point that our staff doesn't think he's quite ready for prime time.

Ideally we just have our 7 man rotation and only have to salvage 5-10 minutes from everyone else. Sy going out could impact that, unless Marsh is ready to step right into Sy’s 20-25 minutes per game. If not, the other 6 rotation guys have to pick up the slack a little, and maybe the deeper bench has to give 10-15 minutes going forward. If that’s the case, whoever of Hildreth/McCray doesn’t hurt us gets my vote at this point — but only as a stopgap to help the main guys. Don’t play them just to play them at this point.

This is the mythical back up QB Is better than the starter that fans love to engage in.

Forbes et al watch these guys practice daily for months. If there was some magical unicorn hiding on the bench, we'd be playing him. Unless you think our staff is somehow not interested in playing the best players or poor evaluators of talent.

I love McCray and think his athleticism is off the charts. But it should be clear at this point that our staff doesn't think he's quite ready for prime time.

Nah, we are going to simultaneously worry that Forbes is such a great coach that he gets hired away by Louisville and that he doesn’t know how to evaluate the abilities of his own players and manage playing time. We are perfectly reasonable fans.

Nah, we are going to simultaneously worry that Forbes is such a great coach that he gets hired away by Louisville and that he doesn’t know how to evaluate the abilities of his own players and manage playing time. We are perfectly reasonable fans.

Well said. Haha.
Just remember fan is short for fanatic

Yeah. Whitt made a name for himself by showing up to random gyms and playing basketball with other kids he didn't even know. Basketball players at this level know how to fit in, especially PGs.

Just curious, how do you know this is how he "made a name for himself?"

Sounds like Billy Hoyle

More like Whitt had a bunch of guys he played with regularly, went on vacation, returned and found most of his regular guys gone. The few that were left had gotten together with some older guys who were newly arrived in town and he was told, "We're good. Might let you rotate in for a bit."

Just curious, how do you know this is how he "made a name for himself?"

Because that's how recruiting camps and such work. AAU teams aren't consistent either. You don't become a ranked recruit by playing with the same guys over a few years.

More like Whitt had a bunch of guys he played with regularly, went on vacation, returned and found most of his regular guys gone. The few that were left had gotten together with some older guys who were newly arrived in town and he was told, "We're good. Might let you rotate in for a bit."

I don't know what this means.

If McCroy and Taylor are not better than Whitt, that doesn't bode well for this year or next.

Because that's how recruiting camps and such work. AAU teams aren't consistent either. You don't become a ranked recruit by playing with the same guys over a few years.

In this scenario, where do his HS games fit?

Didn’t he play at just a regular public school in Raleigh?

I didn’t realize I was being controversial by saying ranked recruits play a lot of games with guys they don’t typically play with. That’s a basic fact.

I think it’s time that we start talking shit about McCray and Taylor in every game thread. Obviously joking, but that’s who we should be comparing Whitt to at this point. Not Williams and Jake. I’m all for giving all of our freshmen time to develop. They all have serious holes in their game right now, but I’m confident Forbes knows whether it’s worth it to them to stay.

Good post.

Last year’s team was so bad that Whitt has to play big minutes. Forbes went out and got enough players so Whitt didn’t need to play at all.

Be curious to see if we ever get off the portal addiction. The instant fix seems to limit class signings and player development. Brave new world out there.

Be curious to see if we ever get off the portal addiction. The instant fix seems to limit class signings and player development. Brave new world out there.

Portal addiction?
That's a strong statement. High school Recruiting takes time and is a process. Because Danny Statue was awful in so many ways - we had no momentum on the trail. And we've, of course, had a global pandemic. Talk about a hard time to traditionally recruit. Forbes has spoken about his recruiting approach going forward. Maybe you should listen to those clips.

Back