• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Give Robert McCray more PT

TripleDeac21

Reaction score
Don’t see why he shouldn’t start getting Whitt’s minutes. Is there anyone out there who believes he’d at worst contribute the same that Whitt is now? I think he could instantly bring more to the table. It baffles me he gets as few minutes as he does. Play him, Coach!

Co-sign. Kid is athletic as hell and could at least eat minutes on the defensive end and get a few garbage buckets. Maybe he builds confidence and helps with ball handling and knocks down a couple shots a game. Honestly, I think Lester would be a better option than Whitt at this point.

I’m not suggesting McCray is going to come in and score 20 points against ACC starters. He doesn’t have to. Just eat some time, give guys a breather, get a few assists/boards and knock down some jumpers all while taking care of the ball. The kid has shown talent in a small sample size this year. He can’t be worse than Whitt at this point. And I like Whitt, don’t get me wrong. But he’s hurting us more than helping us at this point. Give McCray the chance.

Based on Forbes' post game comments, it's the defensive side he seems to draw the line on for playing time.

1000000%. He’s looked very competent in limited minutes. I at least trust him to not completely fuck up. Will he be great? Almost certainly not. Will he be serviceable? Most likely.

But what if he misses all his shots, turns it over a few times and gets abused on defense ? Oh wait…

Based on Forbes' post game comments, it's the defensive side he seems to draw the line on for playing time.

Whitt can’t play defense. He gets beat by a simple off ball screen every possession.

Why do we even need coaches? OGBoards posters could collectively do the job!

Carter Whitt's stats in ACC games: 10 minutes per game 1 ppg 1.1 apg 1.2 rpg 14% from 3; 31% from 2; 50% from the line. His TO rate is 37.7.

Alondes turns it over a lot and his TO rate is 23.6 in ACC games. So, Whitt is far more TO prone than Alondes (think about that) per minutes played, but Whitt can't score, doesn't have close to the same assist rate and Whitt has problems defending ACC level guards. Whitt's "O"rating in ACC games is 63.5; everyone else in the WF regular rotation has "O" ratings of 100 or better in conference games. Hildreth has an "O" rating in 80.4, but he has far fewer minutes in conference games than Whitt (Cam has played 4 or less minutes in more than half of WF's conference games). Whitt's O rating is the worst among all ACC players that have played 10 minutes or more per game in ACC play.

At this point, Whitt is what he is for this season. He may develop into a better player next year, but there can be no reasonable expectation that Carter will be anything other than a negative in WF's remaining games. Realize that it would be tough, and almost unfair to thrust McCray into key games this late in the season, given his lack of experience in competitive games, but it's really hard to imagine McCray hurting WF as much as Whitt has. It's no longer about making a positive contribution from the spot that Whitt occupies; it's about minimizing the damage caused. Realize that its harsh, and Whitt is a young player who may still become a solid contributor, but at some point, to maximize the chances to win this year, would think the staff has to be looking at other options, whether its McCray or Miles Lester (being serious).

Last edited:
Forbes has done a great job with personnel, so why does he not trust McCray in the game? There must be some reason. Essentially McCray has gotten no meaningful minutes. Pretty clear Forbes sees him behind Cam and Whitt.

Carter Whitt's stats in ACC games: 10 minutes per game 1 ppg 1.1 apg 1.2 rpg 14% from 3; 31% from 2; 50% from the line. His TO rate is 37.7.

Alondes turns it over a lot and his TO rate is 23.6 in ACC games. So, Whitt is far more TO prone than Alondes (think about that) per minutes played, but Whitt can't score, doesn't have close to the same assist rate and Whitt has problems defending ACC level guards. Whitt's "O"rating in ACC games is 63.5; everyone else in the WF regular rotation has "O" ratings of 100 or better in conference games. Hildreth has an "O" rating in 80.4, but he has far fewer minutes in conference games than Whitt (Cam has played 4 or less minutes in more than half of WF's conference games). Whitt's O rating is the worst among all ACC players that have played 10 minutes or more per game in ACC play.

At this point, Whitt is what he is for this season. He may develop into a better player next year, but there can be no reasonable expectation that Carter will be anything other than a negative in WF's remaining games. Realize that it would be tough, and almost unfair to thrust McCray into key games this late in the season, given his lack of experience competitive games, but it's really hard to imagine McCray hurting WF as much as Whitt has. It's no longer about making a positive contribution from the spot that Whitt occupies; it's about minimizing the damage caused. Realize that its harsh, and Whitt is a young player who may still become a solid contributor, but at some point, to maximize the chances to win this year, would think the staff has to be looking at other options, whether its McCray or Miles Lester (being serious).

This is great info here. I entirely agree that we don't even need someone to be a net positive on the court. We just don't need someone to not hurt us exponentially. Let's not forget that Lester is a senior and was actually a scholarship player at Rice as a freshman and played a good bit.

I only remember seeing McCray in once that was not garbage time. Didn’t he get a small amount of time early in one game against a good opponent? Was it Virginia? Duke? I remember wondering at the time if he had moved up the depth chart, but that was not the case.

I only remember seeing McCray in once that was not garbage time. Didn’t he get a small amount of time early in one game against a good opponent? Was it Virginia? Duke? I remember wondering at the time if he had moved up the depth chart, but that was not the case.

Yes, McCray got some brief run at UVA. Seems like he was given a defensive assignment. Keep in mind this was the last game before Georgia Tech, which was Monsanto's debut

Woof. I knew Whitt’s stats were bad but holy crap those are next level horrible.

Whitt's numbers are worse than my D-league intramural stats, and we were lucky to put up 20 ppg as a team. Plus I swatted somebody's shit pretty good in one of those games, defensive midget stud that I am, so that makes my bpg better too.

I think Whitt's problems right now are compounded by a decline in the mental element of his game. Kid has zero confidence. Change of scenery might do him some good.

Forbes knows what he is doing— it is frightening to know that Forbes and the staff believe Carter is our best option off the bench.

Whitt's numbers are worse than my D-league intramural stats, and we were lucky to put up 20 ppg as a team. Plus I swatted somebody's shit pretty good in one of those games, defensive midget stud that I am, so that makes my bpg better too.

I think Whitt's problems right now are compounded by a decline in the mental element of his game. Kid has zero confidence. Change of scenery might do him some good.

It appears to me that Whitt was rocked harder than anyone by the massive roster turnover from.last year to this. His role changed drastically. It appears he may not have figured out how he fits in with this year's Wake team. And it reflected in his play.

I don't buy the fit in stuff, sounds like people who never played basketball. He plays 5-10 min a game, he doesn't need to fit in perfectly with everyone. Go out there, hustle, hit maybe 2/10 open shots and don't give the ball away. That's all we ask, and apparently that is way too much.

Back