• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Star Compares Teachers To Pedophiles In Speech Backing Tennessee Book Ban

Sirdeacsalot

Reaction score
Reminder : His big hit was "Save a horse ride a cowboy"

A legislative push in Tennessee to ban “obscene” books from schools resulted in a surreal hearing on Wednesday, with country music star John Rich arguing that librarians and teachers pose a greater threat to children than actual pedophiles.

Rich is one half of the duo “Big & Rich.” The band’s 2004 hit “Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)” encourages listeners to “give a dang about nothing” and drink heavily, while celebrating women who “save” horses by instead riding cowboys.

“What’s the difference between a teacher, educator or librarian putting one of these books like you have on the desk of a student, or a guy in a white van pulling up at the edge of school when school lets out and saying, ‘Come on around kids, let me read you this book and show you these pictures?’” Rich asked legislators in Nashville.

“What’s the difference in those two scenarios? There is a difference, by the way: They can run away from the guy in the white van.”
In a follow-up tweet, Rich likened himself to “the firewall between tyranny and freedom” and said his testimony was “going toe to toe with adversaries.”

The measure in question, HB 1944, would prohibit public and charter schools from “making obscene materials or materials harmful to minors” available to students. Notably, the bill does not define what would qualify as “obscene.”

Its sponsor, state Rep. Scott Cepicky (R), introduced the bill in January in a show of support for the McMinn County Board of Education’s decision to ban a book about the Holocaust.

The board banned the Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel “Maus” from the eighth-grade curriculum, due to concerns about “objectionable language” and nudity in its cartoon depictions of the Holocaust.

Without opening this thread I tried to guess who the star was. My guess was Toby Keith. Wrong!

To be honest I thought Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy was a Toby Keith song.

Ah yes, “Big & Rich”, truly the Brothers Osborne’s of Florida Georgia Lines

To be honest I thought Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy was a Toby Keith song.

Hell, I didn't know the song was referring to women as a pair of gay guys who lived in my neighborhood wear tee shirts with that phrase.

Hell, I didn't know the song was referring to women as a pair of gay guys who lived in my neighborhood wear tee shirts with that phrase.

I guess anybody can ride a cowboy. That song was popular around the same time as Brokeback Mountain.

i have never heard of the song or the country star

jon rich was also a guest start on...wait for it....the Apprentice and got along with Trump quite well.

Big & Rich sing the intro song for ESPN College Gameday and Wake Forest Fans long for that dulcet tune to be blasted across the Wake Forest campus on a Saturday morning in the fall with human beings in attendance.

I have no idea who the black dude and the white girl in this video are or if they're in the band or not.

Back