• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

Baltimore's win streak ended at 10 games. But they started a new one immediately.

Matt Holliday and Andruw Jones’ kids went 1 and 2 in the draft if you want to feel old.

Rays drafted a player from East Forsyth HS in the 1st round

Mariners with the best winning streak in MLB history heading into the All-Star break. That's fun.

Juan Soto turns down $440 mil contract offer from Nats.

One question has to be asked because of the structure of the offer. That is, was this a serious offer, or just a "big number" offer so Nats could say, "We tried. See how much we offered!" And then they trade him for prospects and the off load of one or two of the bad contracts for pitchers currently on the books. Specifically, Corbin and Strasburg.

Packing Strasburg with Soto would be an all time losing/cheap franchise move. It would massively limit the quality/quantity of prospects they get. They could get a historically good deal as far as top end prospects if they deal Soto straight up.

Plus the only two teams I can imagine taking on the Strasburg contract for Soto would be Yankees/Dodgers, and Soto on either of those teams would be miserable for everyone else.

The Nats offer of $440 million guaranteed was more than fair. I'll be so pissed if the Dodgers get him.

Packing Strasburg with Soto would be an all time losing/cheap franchise move. It would massively limit the quality/quantity of prospects they get. They could get a historically good deal as far as top end prospects if they deal Soto straight up.

Plus the only two teams I can imagine taking on the Strasburg contract for Soto would be Yankees/Dodgers, and Soto on either of those teams would be miserable for everyone else.

The other part of this is that the Nats are up for sale, and the word is that there a lot of Steve Cohen types (guys with more money than they know what to do with) sniffing around (there are more ultra-rich guys with stupid money than there are major sports franchises; so, the value of franchises always increase). Think that a likely scenario is that the Nats are sold in the off-season, and the new owner will want to make a huge splash by re-signing (or at least trying to) Soto to a record deal. FWIW, $440 million is a ton of of money, but it was a 15 year contract offer. So, the AAV of the deal was not in the top 25 of current baseball contracts ($6 million less than the AAV for the deal that Lindor signed). The Nats knew Soto wouldn't take the deal based on the length of the contract, but making the offer allowed the Lerners to try claim the moral high ground that they are trying to keep him.

The Corbin and Strasburg (and don't forget the Nats are on the hook for paying Scherzer deferred money for the next 7 years) all of those obligations will be baked into the purchase price of the team which will still be in the $billions.

Sure, since Soto is so young he could probably make more with two 8 year contracts, but there's some value in taking the $440 million guaranteed. If he gets hurt or doesn't perform up to standards (which will be ridiculously high in LA or NY) that 2nd contract might not be as lucrative.

In three years, $29m will hardly be top 50 in AAV. Soto deserves a $500m contract & a top AAV

Deserves may be the wrong word since it’s hard to justify a half a billion dollar contract for somebody playing a game but the best or second best hitter in baseball might

He has another two years of arb salary which partially explains the lower AAV that seems to have Twitter outraged. I expect he will get $50-$55M which also does not seem to be factored in to his surplus value in the trade proposals people are dreaming up where contenders unload multiple young players off their 25 man and best farmhands.

Tethering Corbin would be especially silly. What is the point of clearing his money the two overlapping years with Soto's team control when you have no chance to compete?

The Nats offer of $440 million guaranteed was more than fair. I'll be so pissed if the Dodgers get him.

Honestly I don't see LA getting involved this time around. They aren't giving up team control of top prospects that amounts to about 30+ years plus they have to decide what to do about Tre Turner who is a free agent and having a big year.

Back