• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

He has another two years of arb salary which partially explains the lower AAV that seems to have Twitter outraged. I expect he will get $50-$55M which also does not seem to be factored in to his surplus value in the trade proposals people are dreaming up where contenders unload multiple young players off their 25 man and best farmhands.

Take out the two arb years for 2/$50m and it’s still a $30m AAV which is just laughable.

Not as laughable as Acuna's contract, but understand the point.

Take out the two arb years for 2/$50m and it’s still a $30m AAV which is just laughable.

I’m not inclined to do the research but would guess most guys making higher AAV were FAs, not extensions. Lindor, Arenado, and Betts come to mind and I think they were all done the offseason leading into walk year, so not surprised their deals might be a little less team friendly than what WAS was trying to get done.

Most of these deals end up being awful pretty early into their duration. As much as I’d love to see the Nats wind up with another anchor of a contract, it will probably wind up being for the best in the long run

HR Totals Leader board so far

Julio - 34, first round
Julio - 31, second round
Kyle Seager's brother - 24, first round (lost to Julio)
Pete Alonso - 22, second round (lost to Julio)

Did I just hear that in HR Derby history with this new setup there have only been 4 batters in a single round to hit 30+ HRs? And Julio has 2 of those tonight?

That can't be right. Is that right?

Knew it wasn’t going to happen, but was really pulling for a Pujols/Rodriguez final after Albert made it to the second round - 42 year old vs 21 year old.

Alonso seems like a massive donk. Dead lifting between rounds. Looking serious as hell the whole time. It’s the HR derby. Just chill.

Alonso seems like a massive donk. Dead lifting between rounds. Looking serious as hell the whole time. It’s the HR derby. Just chill.

and he sounds like a stupid ass person too

"I'm doing this for my charity. That I set up with my wife. It is to help.... people and animals... and things like that."

Got it. Defs going to contribute now! As I am confident those funds won't be ignorantly misused.

and he sounds like a stupid ass person too

"I'm doing this for my charity. That I set up with my wife. It is to help.... people and animals... and things like that."

Got it. Defs going to contribute now! As I am confident those funds won't be ignorantly misused.

Perhaps his wife is smart

Format is so dumb. Soto with the 2nd worst performance out of 8 guys in round 1 but was lucky enough to draw the worst guy. Gets an exhausted Pujols in round 2 and still almost loses. After his easy matchups he's not as gassed as Julio and beats him despite never cracking 20 homers while Julio had 2 rounds over 30.

At least re-seed for round two, damn. The Alonso/Julio matchup clearly should have been for the title.

Format is so dumb. Soto with the 2nd worst performance out of 8 guys in round 1 but was lucky enough to draw the worst guy. Gets an exhausted Pujols in round 2 and still almost loses. After his easy matchups he's not as gassed as Julio and beats him despite never cracking 20 homers while Julio had 2 rounds over 30.

At least re-seed for round two, damn. The Alonso/Julio matchup clearly should have been for the title.

I would be in favor of something like that. Everyone hits as many home runs as they can in round one and re-seed based on number of HR's after the round.

They can not seed at all and just not do head-to-head. Just let the top half of the field advance each round until you get the final two. 16->8->4->2

They can not seed at all and just not do head-to-head. Just let the top half of the field advance each round until you get the final two. 16->8->4->2

I like this format. Even though it would have eliminated this year's winner in the first round.

Fangraphs now has the Mariners at a 69% chance to make the playoffs. Before the current 14 game win streak, think the % was below 25%. That fanbase deserves to taste some playoff baseball.

All-star game coverage has been awesome. 4k, Smoltz in the booth, a truly absurd amount of players on the mic during play. Pitcher/catcher both on microphone live was especially awesome, but all the pitchers who agreed to do it were great.

I usually give the all-star game a cursory glance but it seems like a huge leap forward in entertainment this year. Good shit.

I was thinking the same thing. I barely pay attention to baseball and haven't watched the All-Star Game in years. I had it on in the background and it was well done.

Back