• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

The players requested an age based FA system and dropped it when owners showed no interest. In Braves circles there was discussion about it because Tyler Matzek is not set to become a FA until 2025 when he is 34.

I disagree. If he performs at those numbers he will be bought out of these early years based on recent history. Look at Acuna (not sure how to do a tilde on my computer), Tatis, Soto, etc.
He's a pre-arb 1B on the wrong side of 30. He's never getting a multi-year deal.

It appears that MLB and MLBPA are on the verge of a deal, but there is a catch:

MLB wants an international draft, and while the MLBPA seems willing to agree to it, some prominent Latin players (David Ortiz and Fernando Tatis) strongly oppose it. The two sides are so close that MLB has refrained from canceling any more of the regular season. Apparently, if a deal is stuck today, MLBPA claims players will be ready to report by Friday. It also appears that a 162 game season is still a possibility.

BTW, if a deal is struck, the free agent frenzy will be chaotic.

Last edited:
A draft would make a lot more sense. I saw Papi's issue with it was that he doesn't think the countries like the DR are setup to effectively have a draft - but the challenge is just that certain players may not get those big signing bonuses. I don't really see how a draft would change it outside of reallocating the money except for the top 1 or 2 prospects each year (and no player in 2021 received over the amount the #1 pick would get - which is $5.25 mil). A 20 round international draft would still accomplish the same if not more kids getting signed.

If this holds up the agreement, woof.

just sign da ting

I'm ready for the 10 year era Mariners dominance of MLB to commence.

It seems like the players said no. I’m officially on the owner’s side now. This is ridiculous. At the end of the day, I don’t think someone should be set for life for playing two years in the majors at the age of 23. I don’t think teams should continue to be able to pay 14 year old Latin players under the table to get them to sign when they turn 16. Players need to be careful or the awful 15 year contracts being given to players are going to go away.

Look at what’s happened to baseball in Puerto Rico since they got stuck in the amateur draft. Baseball has been wrecked. Latin players should be concerned.

Sounds like lockout is resolved, which is good except that the way the past 24 hours have gone, I'm expecting Freddie Freeman to sign with the Dodgers by dinner time.

Spring training games expected to start March 18. Opening Day expected to be April 7. 162 game season with 6 off-days lopped off the calendar. Guessing teams will have additional roster flexibility with so few off days.

Last edited:
Thank Gawd.....now all the Yankees have to do is get Freddie Freeman and my day (after yesterday's debacle) would be made.

The deal is expected to be ratified today, which would end the lockout an reopen free agency. Among the unsigned FAs:

Carlos Correa
Kris Bryant
Freddie Freeman
Trevor Story
Clayton Kershaw
Anthony Rizzo
Kenley Jansen
Nick Castellanos
Michael Conforto
Kyle Schwarber
Zach Greinke
Joc Pederson

Really expected to be more fireworks from the FA signing front in the first few hours. Guess not.

Either way, Cubs signing Correa and Castellanos, right?

Really expected to be more fireworks from the FA signing front in the first few hours. Guess not.

Either way, Cubs signing Correa and Castellanos, right?

You would think during the lockout, it would have given the owners enough time for collusion.

I doubt there will be any big money FA contracts, and most players will probably just go back to their current squad.

Giants sign Carlos Rodon for two years for $44 million.

Yankees trade Sanchez and Urshela to Minnesota for Luke Donaldson, Kiner-Falafa (who just came over yesterday from Texas) and a backup catcher.

Yankees now will need someone who can be a lead catcher...will be interesting to see what happens.

Back