• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

A's trade All-Star 3B to the Jays for prospects. A's in full tank now. Would expect Sean Manaea to be next.

Jays lineup is crazy strong

Not the guy I wanted. I'd take/prefer K Bryant over Schwarber

Guessing cost and contract duration to get the deal done led to the Schwarber signing.

That's what I hear. Bryant wanted 5 million more per year. That would have left the Phillies only $5 million under tax cap. The Schwarber deal leaves them a bit more than $10 million under.

Good for Schwarbs and KB - great contracts for both.

No clue what the Rockies are doing, but assume KB puts up video game numbers in Coors for a few years to pad his career stats.

Twins sign Carlos Correa (didn't see that coming) Trevor Story reportedly down to the Red Sox, Giants, Astros and Yankees.

Phils sign Castellanos, similar AAV to Schwarber. Little surprised they spent that much on two LF/DH's-was expecting them to improve their defense more (perhaps in CF).

Phils sign Castellanos, similar AAV to Schwarber. Little surprised they spent that much on two LF/DH's-was expecting them to improve their defense more (perhaps in CF).

This puts the Phillies over the luxury tax threshold. Surprised they did this.

This puts the Phillies over the luxury tax threshold. Surprised they did this.

Especially because Schwarber isn’t worth that. If I was Castellanos I would be pissed that I was valued the same as that guy.

Especially because Schwarber isn’t worth that. If I was Castellanos I would be pissed that I was valued the same as that guy.

Castellanos was asking for more when the Phillies signed Schwarber. Castellanos' price came down as his possible teams became fewer.

Phillies tried to fix their bullpen with a bunch of reclamation projects that would have been an awesome bullpen in 2017, then spend wildly for two LF/DHs (in fairness, those are two holes in our lineup). Not much done about team defense so far.

Phillies tried to fix their bullpen with a bunch of reclamation projects that would have been an awesome bullpen in 2017, then spend wildly for two LF/DHs (in fairness, those are two holes in our lineup). Not much done about team defense so far.

Phillies look like they are going to try and hit their way to pennant. I don't think that works over 162 games. Offense puts people in seats. Defense wins.

Phillies look like they are going to try and hit their way to pennant. I don't think that works over 162 games. Offense puts people in seats. Defense wins.

Rangers and Rockies were the best defensive teams by runs saved last year. How’d that work out for them? “Defense wins” is nonsense baseball jargon. Sometimes is does (mostly due to good pitching) but more teams that win big have elite offenses. You just have to score more runs than your opponents and there are a variety of ways to do that. Plenty of bad defensive teams have won (assuming that we mean fielding when we discussing “defense”, as distinguished from pitching - because the Phillies have a pretty good rotation - Nola, Wheeler, Eflin, Gibson, Suarez - and hopefully at least a mediocre bullpen)

FWIW, THE BAT X, by Derek Carty - which I think is the best projection system out there - now has the Phillies projected for the 2nd most wins (behind only the Dodgers). Also with the 2nd best starting rotation. Defense is less important by far when trying to win baseball games, compared to scoring and pitching.

Rangers and Rockies were the best defensive teams by runs saved last year. How’d that work out for them? “Defense wins” is nonsense baseball jargon. Sometimes is does (mostly due to good pitching) but more teams that win big have elite offenses. You just have to score more runs than your opponents and there are a variety of ways to do that. Plenty of bad defensive teams have won (assuming that we mean fielding when we discussing “defense”, as distinguished from pitching - because the Phillies have a pretty good rotation - Nola, Wheeler, Eflin, Gibson, Suarez - and hopefully at least a mediocre bullpen)

Milwaukee and Tampa got by last year with pretty good defenses. Anyway, I don't think it's a done deal by any means that the Phillies have an elite offense. SS, 3B, and CF are huge question marks with massive downsides, in addition to Schwarber himself (though I'm hopeful) and Hoskins coming back from an injury.

Lotta weird hate on here for Schwarber, who has had a pretty solid last 4 years, save for the last 20 or so games in 2020. He's a good OBP guy, good locker room guy, has power to spare - can technically play LF and 1B, even though would assume he DHs 50% of the time, and has a pretty decent postseason resume. He's also coming off one of his best years and was a top 25-30 hitter even missing 40-50 games. Worst projections I saw were a .350+ OBP guy with 30+ jacks.

In that maxim, "defense" includes pitching because when a team plays defense, the pitcher is on the field. Pitching is a big part of defense. Much easier to be good at defense if the batter hits a weak groundball to second as opposed to a hard shot down the left field line. A pitcher who gets opponents to hit weak groundballs is a valuable player.

Ugh...they're keeping the awful Runner on 2nd to start extras this year...

Expanded rosters to 28 until May 1 as well (with no limit on pitchers), and then back to 26 with a max of 13 pitchers; also the Ohtani Rule is in place where a starting pitcher can also be listed as a DH in the lineup, so after they leave the bump, they can stay in the lineup.

Back