• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

I hate everything about the “ghost” runner including the name.

Last edited:
I hate it everything about the “ghost” runner including the name.

Makes a mess of scorebooks. How do they score it? The ghost runner plus 2 sac flies = run scored. Is that an earned run against the pitcher's ERA?

Makes a mess of scorebooks. How do they score it? The ghost runner plus 2 sac flies = run scored. Is that an earned run against the pitcher's ERA?

I don't believe that runner counts as an earned run under any circumstance.

From the MLB website:

"For purposes of calculating earned runs, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player." Not a fan of the ghost runner rule. Thought the agreement between MLB and MLBPA was that they would not adopt the ghost runner rule for the 10th inning, but apparently, the rule is in effect as soon as the game goes more than 9 innings. Weak.

From the MLB website:

"For purposes of calculating earned runs, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player." Not a fan of the ghost runner rule. Thought the agreement between MLB and MLBPA was that they would not adopt the ghost runner rule for the 10th inning, but apparently, the rule is in effect as soon as the game goes more than 9 innings. Weak.

Stupid rule. I would love to see a team lose a perfect game.

Did the ghost runner rule shorten games?

It appears so:

"There were 78 extra-inning games during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, and the longest by innings were a pair of 13-inning contests at Houston, won by the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 29 and by Oakland on Aug. 7. Every previous season since 1901 had at least one game of 15 innings or longer

There were 233 extra-inning games last year, and the longest was the Los Angeles Dodgers’ 16-inning win at the San Diego Padres on Aug. 25.
"

I only glanced at an article about this, so I could be wrong. What I picked up on is that it shortened games on average because it eliminated games (outliers) that would go on and on and on. Yet it caused a majority of games to last longer when measured by time. Ten and eleven inning games lasted longer with the ghost runner rule than 10 and 11 inning games without the rule.

With the shortened season playing fewer innings was the goal, so it worked for that. It does not really help from a game time perspective for most extra inning games. They could implement the rule in the 12th inning. That makes more sense to me.

In that maxim, "defense" includes pitching because when a team plays defense, the pitcher is on the field. Pitching is a big part of defense. Much easier to be good at defense if the batter hits a weak groundball to second as opposed to a hard shot down the left field line. A pitcher who gets opponents to hit weak groundballs is a valuable player.

I'm glad that the Phils got Castellanos, but strongly agree about our lack of D and pitching. Wheeler has to stay healthy (please) and am hoping that Suarez & Gibson can be effective. I'm seeing some interesting pitchers that may be trade candidates. Just don't know if the Phillies can swing a deal.

Ghost runner for extra innings for this season only per Cubs announcers discussing the matter. Back to normal for 2023.

I only glanced at an article about this, so I could be wrong. What I picked up on is that it shortened games on average because it eliminated games (outliers) that would go on and on and on. Yet it caused a majority of games to last longer when measured by time. Ten and eleven inning games lasted longer with the ghost runner rule than 10 and 11 inning games without the rule.

With the shortened season playing fewer innings was the goal, so it worked for that. It does not really help from a game time perspective for most extra inning games. They could implement the rule in the 12th inning. That makes more sense to me.
Sounds about right. What it does is give every pitcher motivation, for the first batter at least, to go all-in for a strikeout and risk a walk, which is exactly what is lengthening games to begin with.

Realize that its Grapefruit League, but the Nats had two different pitchers give up 10+ runs in the same game today. The Cardinal have 25 runs and 21 outs. Yikes the Nats are really bad. It was worth it to win a WS, but this team could lose a 100+.

White Sox trade Craig Kimbrel to the Dodgers for AJ Pollock...

Great get by the Dodgers. Pollock is the best RF the Sox have now, but wonder if that pushes Vaughn or Sheets to the minors now. White Sox lineup is dangerous.

Back