• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

Bobby Witt is starting the season with the Royals and Spencer Torkelson with the Tigers. Lots a high profile rookies will be given the opportunity to shine.

Bobby Witt double drives in go ahead run. Great opening day.

JFC, I've been waiting for five years for the light to go on for Mickey Moniak.

The new hitting coach moved him closer to the plate and he went bonkers this spring.

The last game of Spring Training he was hit by a pitch and broke his hand.

I am cursed. That is all.

Ugh, that sucks. Was a longshot, but I had hopes.

Ke'Bryan Hayes (Charlie's son) injured immediately after the Pirates extend him.

Moniak had already made the opening day roster, slated to platoon in CF with Vierling.

I hoped it would lead to the Phils finally dumping Odubel Herrera, who might be the dumbest player in the league.

In the last full season he was picked off of 1st more than once, 2nd more than once, and 3rd more than once.

That's a truly dubious trifecta.

It begins.

kyle-seager-seattle-mariners.gif

Darvish no-hit the D-Backs for 6 innings. Padres held a 2-0 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth. Padres bullpen goes:

Walk
Walk
Wild pitch
Hit-by-pitch
Wild pitch
Walk-off HR by former ACC POY Seth Beer... On National Beer Day!

Not a fan of the MLB on ESPN interviewing players while they are in the field. Kike is a funny guy and a good interview, but there were two hits last night where he got a late jump on the ball in part because he was talking to the guys in the booth. Spring training fine, all star game fine, but lets not do it in the regular season.

Yep, was watching last night rooting for the meteor strike, but that moment when he was being interviewed during an AB was just so stupid. Can they really not wait until the next 1/2 inning when he's in the dugout to ask him the all so pertinent questions like, "did you like it when the umpire called strike 3 on you with that pitch on the outside?" Ridiculous.

Also agreed on it not being an issue during ST or the ASG. But regular season? Such nonsense.

Lerners may sell the Washington Nationals. Bezos likes his increasing presence in DC.

Phils looked anemic and trailed the Mets 4-0 going into the bottom of the 8th.

Rallied for 5 in the inning. It's the first week, but anytime you can rip the hearts out of the Mets is a good day.

Rallied for 5 in the inning. It's the first week, but anytime you can rip the hearts out of the Mets is a good day.

It was a good day, but I hope we eventually find someone that can play 3rd base. 4 errors from that position already this year.

Cleveland rookie OF Steven Kwan has faced 82 pitches over 19 plate appearances. He has yet to swing and miss on any pitch. He has zero strikeouts.
Kwan had 34 plate appearances in Spring Training. He had zero strikeouts.

Ted Williams and Barry Bonds when asked the secret to hitting answered the same, "Don't swing at balls."

Haha! Where was this advice when I played??

Gotta love fantasy baseball. Part 1 - The Draft: High fives self that I drafted Byron Buxton and know that he will have an MVP season!! Part 2 - Week 1 (10 days later): Buxton gets hurt sliding into 2nd base. Part 3 - Reflects on fantasy football season and the draft: High fives self for drafting CMC # 1 - he is going to have an MVP season...

Scoring and home runs are down this year. Suspicion is that MLB is messing with the ball again: https://sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/04/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Home-Runs.aspx

Probably more so that pitchers are just really, really good. More velo than ever and breaking balls are literally lab designed to maximize spin efficiency and break from the same “tunnel” as fastballs. The stuff that today’s pitchers have is just ridiculous. Throw in shifts (for one more year anyway) and the deck is just stacked against hitters. Check out pitching ninja on Twitter - it’s difficult to comprehend how anyone ever puts the ball the ball in play.

If you’re not familiar with pitch design and Edgertronic cameras, read up. It’s silly how advanced pitching has become, particularly in more progressive organizations

Mets 10-4 and took 3 of 4 from a very good SF team.

Showalter at the helm now. Hmmm .....

Back