• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hang it! (Alondes Williams ACC POY, 1st Team All-ACC)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
I was going to wait to have this discussion, but let's do it now. #31 Alondes Williams belongs in the rafters. I don't care if Buddy Boeheim drops 50 to lead the league in scoring. I don't care if Bacot gets 50 and 40 on Saturday and does pushups on Coach K's corpse and gets named POY. I don't care if Alondes Williams gets the recognition and accolades he's due and honestly, it won't matter what happens in the post-season.

Hang it.

Forbes said it best in the post-game. "When we look back at this years from now, he's going to be the guy who changed the whole thing."

That right there is worth making sure no one else wears #31 for Wake Forest ever again. And that #31 should be a sign to everyone can play basketball and everyone who can't, that it doesn't matter how you started. It doesn't matter where you came from. If you want to put in the work, you can come to Wake Forest and do something special and we'll appreciate you.

Trying to act like I didn't just say this in a pos rep to you hang it and me posting that quote in the game thread...... I see you PH..........

giphy.gif

But yes. Hang this shit now. He deserves to be up there regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

I've been wanting to post it for a month now, but I didn't want to do it until the season was over. But yeah, your rep encouraged me to just go ahead and start this thread. May as well talk about this for a week.

The real question we have to ask is, do we get Big-E back for when we put up 31 or no?

One year? Nah. Big E was a more important 31.

This. Don’t care how good he is. We haven’t been ranked, he hasn’t won a tournament game, and we played a shit schedule. You can’t hang it for 1 year.

I was thinking about this recently and didn't want to post about it lol.

If he wins ACC POY, it's automatic. Every other ACC POY is in the WF HOF.

Given the lost decade and the ability of players to move so easily, I would be open to a different bar vs. the past if he is not POY. He is the face of the team that has saved the WF basketball program. He is 100% lock 1st Team All-ACC and has a shot at 1st Team All-America. He still has a chance to win the ACCT and do serious work in the NCAAT.

The litmus test for me is how do you compare Alondes to Jeff Teague and John Collins? If you see his impact as greater than them, he has a good case for a banner. At this point, I have would have to say yes. That would make him the best player since CP3. That is a solid generation since the last great to be recognized, which feels about right timing wise.

Forbes is right - we may look back on Alondes the way Odom talked about Rodney Rogers being the spark that led to the 90s success.

Last edited:
This. Don’t care how good he is. We haven’t been ranked, he hasn’t won a tournament game, and we played a shit schedule. You can’t hang it for 1 year.

Eh. Love Big E, but he did go 3-13 in the ACC his senior year

Jeff Teague and John Collins certainly would have done more at Wake if Forbes was their coach. But unfortunately they didn’t. You can’t separately the player from the circumstances.

I should have added Justin Gray and Eric Williams into that Teague/JC grouping. They are harder to evaluate cause they were great college players, but never the guy on great teams. Gray has a stellar resume, looking at it again. When the ACC was damn good. That '06 season also just kind of sours things. I see them as a different era vs. Teague/JC years.

It doesn't matter if Alondes is ACC POY. That separates him.

I have watched more games this year than I have the past 5 years combined. I am entertaining thoughts of cross country travel for tournaments. This doesn't happen without Alondes. Shoot, I just love his smile and the joy he brings to the game. Other guys may end up being all ACC for multiple years down the road but Alondes made it happen now.

Hang it in two years as we ride the momentum and keep in touch with who started it all.

OOC was one thing but to come into the ACC and still put up the numbers that says a lot. The ACC may be down but we still have a lot of great coaches that know how to take away what you do best, especial one player.

He wins ACC POY it's a done deal.

If my math is correct, Buddy Boeheim needs 30 points against Miami and Reece Beekman needs 22 assists against Louisville to pass Alondes. Hoping Miami can shut down Buddy.

If my math is correct, Buddy Boeheim needs 30 points against Miami and Reece Beekman needs 22 assists against Louisville to pass Alondes. Hoping Miami can shut down Buddy.

Cuse doesn't have much else to play for, unfortunately. We'll see.

If he doesn’t get ACC POY and we decide not to retire his jersey, we have given control of our rafters to BIG DUKE MEDIA. F that. Hang it.

It is an interesting question for sure in the new landscape of college basketball. great players rarely stay in college for more than 2 years now and the transfer portal has made it like free agency for all players and coaches. Williams doesn't have the career stats at Wake that would garner "hanging it", but i would argue that he has made one of the largest impacts at Wake Forest in my lifetime as a fan (35+ years). the list is not long in that timeframe...

Back