• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perhaps the Tag Line at the Top Needs to Be Changed

How can someone that was a mod on the other board ever complain about anything here. How many forums have been so badly moderated that the end result is the formation of a breakaway board. I mean fuck talk about a raging hypocrite who’s opinion ranks as number 6200 out of 6200 members.

I'm complaining about one of the things people complained about at the other boards. Lack of clear guidelines.

WSSUgrad was trolling. He passively admitted this. It was single-issue spewing the same point over and over again. Not convinced that would meet the definition of discussion, which is what the tag line says. I don't remember him posting on any other topic, expect for when the "Pointer" passed away.

Even with that - if am to take LK's explanation on the District 13 forum at face value, then he was banned for posting spam links and not stopping vs. anything he said. It is for one month, not perma. Maybe some would consider than an excuse, but spamming our fellow WF fans/alums seems like a reasonable line in the sand to chill out for a bit.

I'm not defending WSSUgrad's actions.

I'm asking why there aren't guidelines for when actions will be taken. That's it.

The "standards" are just common sense. We have written up nothing.

And to be completely honest, writing up and/or posting any standards or hard-line rules just opens us up to asshole lawyers like you trying to find inconsistent enforcement or loopholes in them to make a big stink about.

You've written down why you take actions here but you don't want post them on District 13. Makes sense.

I'm complaining about one of the things people complained about at the other boards. Lack of clear guidelines.

Well that's one way to interpret the reason everyone left TOB.

It's not the insane amount of censorship that happened re: anyone trying to talk badly about [Redacted] or use curse words or the random shadow bannings with zero explanation.

Yes what we need here is more rules spelled out.

Moderation is more an art than a science.

I'm not defending WSSUgrad's actions.

I'm asking why there aren't guidelines for when actions will be taken. That's it.

Fair enough - that's why I paraphrased what LK posted on District 13. WSSUgrad posted spam, was told not to, did it again, told 1 week ban, then started posting on a different handle, then got 1 month.

Now maybe that was just the final straw. Either way, that seems reasonable for a timeout. Particularly for some, that could have caused some serious headache. I don't want to see our fans get spammed by a fellow poster.

You've written down why you take actions here but you don't want post them on District 13. Makes sense.

Yes, because every decision isn't made in a vacuum. Circumstances matter.

Deacman if you can just say out loud that turftoega is a horrible human being, I think you'll substantially understand the guidelines for moderating here.

Fair enough - that's why I paraphrased what LK posted on District 13. WSSUgrad posted spam, was told not to, did it again, told 1 week ban, then started posting on a different handle, then got 1 month.

Now maybe that was just the final straw. Either way, that seems reasonable for a timeout. Particularly for some, that could have caused some serious headache. I don't want to see our fans get spammed by a fellow poster.

I don't disagree with any of the above. The substance of what that guy did was wrong.

All I'm asking is why not just write down a few simple guidelines for when threads will get locked or someone will get banned. And the moderator basically gets pissed at the suggestion while also stating why those things happen.

I don't disagree with any of the above. The substance of what that guy did was wrong.

All I'm asking is why not just write down a few simple guidelines for when threads will get locked or someone will get banned. And the moderator basically gets pissed at the suggestion while also stating why those things happen.

1) I'm not pissed, just amused. Especially by suggestions coming from a guy who was on a moderator team that ran off everyone on tob BECAUSE the moderation was so terrible.
2) I've established that there are no hard and clear guidelines and why having them might be a negative thing when there are plenty of litiguous folks on here looking for things to nitpick + the fact that no decision made by our team is made in a vacuum. We put some thought into circumstances and what feels like the right thing to do. Everyone has differences in tolerance for certain behavior and it's a fine tightrope to walk to try and balance that in a community.

is there a DeacMan thread that doesn't turn into this?

1) I'm not pissed, just amused. Especially by suggestions coming from a guy who was on a moderator team that ran off everyone on tob BECAUSE the moderation was so terrible.
2) I've established that there are no hard and clear guidelines and why having them might be a negative thing when there are plenty of litiguous folks on here looking for things to nitpick + the fact that no decision made by our team is made in a vacuum. We put some thought into circumstances and what feels like the right thing to do. Everyone has differences in tolerance for certain behavior and it's a fine tightrope to walk to try and balance that in a community.

Of course you are doing what you think is right. I don't disagree with your logic for locking the thread. If anyone knows how shitty it is to moderate, it's me. And we were doing it at a site where we didn't control all the rules/decisions (bc we didn't own the site).

People are always going to nitpick. "Why did you ban RJ?" "So and so shouldn't have been suspended." That isn't going away. Just making clear up front simple things like you've laid out here would be useful.

Anyway, you and the rest of the 25+K post cabal disagree. So be it.

I will say, one hard and fast rule that we've followed since the beginning is do not circumvent a ban. Posters that create new or use alternate handles have always been escalated to the next level.

Of course you are doing what you think is right. I don't disagree with your logic for locking the thread. If anyone knows how shitty it is to moderate, it's me. And we were doing it at a site where we didn't control all the rules/decisions (bc we didn't own the site).

People are always going to nitpick. "Why did you ban RJ?" "So and so shouldn't have been suspended." That isn't going away. Just making clear up front simple things like you've laid out here would be useful.

post counts literally don't matter as much as you and Angus think they do, you dork

Useful to whom? The majority of the posters don't take issue, and as you indicated, the nitpicking isn't going away so why would making "clear up front simple things" make a difference?

God damn lawyers suck. Just arguing for arguments sake. Go jack off or something.

How can someone that was a mod on the other board ever complain about anything here. How many forums have been so badly moderated that the end result is the formation of a breakaway board. I mean fuck talk about a raging hypocrite who’s opinion ranks as number 6200 out of 6200 members.

Ironically, he literally is one of the big reasons this board exists.

Back