• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Late 80s Winston bars

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
Any late 80s Deacs remember the locations of these bars?

O'Caseys
Shrock's (or was it Schrock's?)

Schrock's was over by one the hospitals on Hawthorne or something. I have no idea what the appeal was of driving over there to drink at some hole in the wall.

Schrock's was over by one the hospitals on Hawthorne or something. I have no idea what the appeal was of driving over there to drink at some hole in the wall.

Thanks. Probably dollar beers (or at that time possibly, 50 cent ones).

O'Casey's...on Hawthorne and across the street from what is now Stella Brew. Used to go there to watch Big Monday hoops since ESPN was not ubiquitous.

Think O'Casey's is now Carlisle's (?) maybe, where a friend of mine works. Schrock's was near Rose and Thistle (RIP) but the building may have been a victim of "straightening" of 421 there. A little before my drinking time.

I loved O'Caseys. In the mid 90's I was a regular there. The bartender would start opening my beer when he saw me walk in. The irony is that when my dad was in his mid 20's he used to hang out in the same place when it was the Ardmore Tap Room.

Thanks everyone. That's funny, I couldn't remember where O'Casey's was and now learn that it's directly across the street from where I now get my haircut. Getting old sucks.

I loved O'Caseys. In the mid 90's I was a regular there. The bartender would start opening my beer when he saw me walk in. The irony is that when my dad was in his mid 20's he used to hang out in the same place when it was the Ardmore Tap Room.

I frequented the Ardmore Tap Room in the late 60's.

Rose and Thistle was awesome. And I think I went to Schrock's like once. The Saf room (Safari Room) was in our regular rotation - especially on Thirsty Thursdays.

You were probably hanging out there when my dad was.

Me, too. I hadn't thought of Ardmore Tap Room in 35 years at least.
Add me to the list of folks who still miss the Rose and Thistle.

Can we expand this to Greensboro? Anyone ever a member at the Rhino? How about the UNCG bars like The Wahoo (still exists and has barely changed) and what was the name of the other one that had bands right across the street?

Back