• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke-Carolina

I gave you the facts and you're having a hissy fit about it while broadly showing your ignorance on multiple fronts.

Students at one school taking classes at another school is very common. Wake is unusual if they don't allow it.

Like I said, just admit you messed up and move on.

During the season? Sorry but don't mind a debate at all if I am wrong I am wrong. My point is these guys are taking classes down the road during the season. I guess if they wanted to drive an hour they could. I have just been reiterating what I have read. My "hissy fit" is for you bringing out the race card. Totally unwarranted and you remain an asshole

I assume Wake students can take classes at Winston Salem State, but you know what happens when you assume.

I just don't think it happens real often.

Let me weigh in for a sec. since I have a unique perspective here... I actually received my law degree from the evening program at NCCU (a program that was harder to get into, statistically, than Duke law...)

Ph is correct that all the snide comments about Duke athletes taking classes at NCCU certainly appear at least partially racially biased. But, I think there is a different explanation. I'm speaking for others here, but, I don't think people generally have a problem with the concept of Duke athletes taking classes somewhere else. The problem is the hypocrisy shown by the media coverage of Duke.

You don't hear it as much anymore, but, you used to hear Vitale and others talk about what a great school Duke is and how the Duke students are all so smart so Duke athletes are truly student athletes and isn't it amazing... blah, blah, blah. Like I said, you don't really hear it since Duke sold out to the one-and-done model but it used to really be nauseating. And it really becomes annoying to those who know the reality that the great majority of Duke basketball players (white and black - Laettner's SAT score was rumored to be a joke) could never get into Duke (not saying that it is not also that way at other places, including Wake - just that the media always acted like Duke was different) and likely couldn't handle the typical class load at Duke. So then when it became common knowledge that the Duke players took a lot of classes over at NCCU - presumably because they were easier (because why else would they take them, went the logic) - that became a talking point among the Duke haters.

I believe that is all that is going on and that it isn't really racially motivated. When I was at Wake I took summer school classes at App St. because they were laughingly easy - why wouldn't I fulfill basic requirements that way?

I remember when dean smith made it public that JR Reid and Scott Williams SAT scores were higher than Christian Laettner and Crawford palmer’s. It was kind of petty and also kind of baller which is probably the perfect description of dean smith. Duke fans were chanting JR can’t Reid , which is pretty fucking racist, and Dean got pissed.

Wow. I hadn’t thought of Crawford Palmer in years.

Can you take classes at another school during the regular semester at Wake? It took an insane amount of effort to allow two summer school classes I took back home while recovery from surgery over the summer and had nothing else going on to count at Wake.

Yeah, it was so hard to get credit for transfer classes at Wake when I was there that it was not even worth the effort. Wake grads have every right to give the side-eye to Duke grads picking credits up at NCCU or any other good (or less respected) public university.

FWIW, NCCU is probably the best HBCU in NC.

Jason Williams graduating in three years with a Sociology degree is a little out of the ordinary though. I think I remember he got credit for a team trip to Japan or some nonsense.

Can you take classes at another school during the regular semester at Wake? It took an insane amount of effort to allow two summer school classes I took back home while recovery from surgery over the summer and had nothing else going on to count at Wake.
I suspect there's a difference between wake agreeing to accept your course credits (which would not count toward your GPA) and permitting concurrent classes at other universities. I don't know but it sounds like the policy phdeac describes is an exchange and those classes would count the same as classes taken at your home university.

I suspect there's a difference between wake agreeing to accept your course credits (which would not count toward your GPA) and permitting concurrent classes at other universities. I don't know but it sounds like the policy phdeac describes is an exchange and those classes would count the same as classes taken at your home university.

Biff, saus, and others have to know they're full of shit if wakephan09 is actually defending Duke instead of piling on.

And usually such policies are in place so students can access classes that aren't available at their home institution.

Taking first year, general education requirements at another school because they are presumably easier is kinda sketchy. A huge number of students do this for their writing requirement at Texas, for example, because the state legislature mandated that the University accept credits from anywhere. And the course is both cheaper and easier at the local community college.

I've never heard any of K's players say anything bad about him.

Is there no difference between a state school and a private university ?

Can you just pay $75K a year to go to Duke, take 80% of your classes at UNC-W online and during the summer and get a Duke diploma ?

And usually such policies are in place so students can access classes that aren't available at their home institution.

Taking first year, general education requirements at another school because they are presumably easier is kinda sketchy. A huge number of students do this for their writing requirement at Texas, for example, because the state legislature mandated that the University accept credits from anywhere. And the course is both cheaper and easier at the local community college.

Right. This is probably more about elective courses. Private schools typically offer fewer courses than public schools, so this is a way for Duke students to broaden their horizons within their field.

Also if this isn't clear from what I posted before, NCCU students can take classes at Duke as well.

https://myeol.nccu.edu/sites/default/files/2021-01/Interinstitutional-Approval-Form.pdf

Last edited:
Biff, saus, and others have to know they're full of shit if wakephan09 is actually defending Duke instead of piling on.
I think the policy is a great one, in general, and I know students at State and Carolina who've also taken advantage of the opportunity.

That said, if the duke athletic department is taking advantage of this policy to direct athletes to easier general education courses on another campus then that seems against the spirit of the exchange.

I think the policy is a great one, in general, and I know students at State and Carolina who've also taken advantage of the opportunity.

That said, if the duke athletic department is taking advantage of this policy to direct athletes to easier general education courses on another campus then that seems against the spirit of the exchange.

Not just the spirit, the actual rules as well. I've seen nothing to support this except message board assertions.

Well, Wake isn't doing it and Wake classes are superior to any other classes you can take in the Triad. Wake > Duke.

Yeah, it was so hard to get credit for transfer classes at Wake when I was there that it was not even worth the effort. Wake grads have every right to give the side-eye to Duke grads picking credits up at NCCU or any other good (or less respected) public university.

FWIW, NCCU is probably the best HBCU in NC.

Jason Williams graduating in three years with a Sociology degree is a little out of the ordinary though. I think I remember he got credit for a team trip to Japan or some nonsense.

Syllabus: Zen and the Art of GPA Maintenance

Back