• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke-Carolina

Does anyone learn for the sake of learning at universities anymore? Is it all credentialing now?

Sure there are some who care about learning. They end up professors or some such.

Those who shoot all the angles (legally) and focus on the grade and gone do the same in the real world. Capitalism favors them.

I agree with those that have said athletes taking classes at NCCU or other universities is not worse than 30 years of sustained academic cheating, where classes did not even exist! UNC even admitted to it. At the same time, Dean and Roy were looking down their noses at the rest of the ACC as superior, and preaching the Carolina Way bullshit. There was never a bigger whiner and bullshitter than Dean. That scandal is considered the biggest academic cheating scandal in the history of college sports. UNC lawyered up got off on a technicality, "frat bros did it too", and got away with it. Growing up in NC, my hate for all things for UNC has never been higher. Mainly, because UNC fans/alum act like the scandal never happened.

I agree with those that have said athletes taking classes at NCCU or other universities is not worse than 30 years of sustained academic cheating, where classes did not even exist! UNC even admitted to it. At the same time, Dean and Roy were looking down their noses at the rest of the ACC as superior, and preaching the Carolina Way bullshit. There was never a bigger whiner and bullshitter than Dean. That scandal is considered the biggest academic cheating scandal in the history of college sports. UNC lawyered up got off on a technicality, "frat bros did it too", and got away with it. Growing up in NC, my hate for all things for UNC has never been higher. Mainly, because UNC fans/alum act like the scandal never happened.

If you read the Wikipedia page on the UNC academic/athletic scandal, they pretty much dismiss the whole thing as being mostly about a disgruntled/discredited professor (Wilingham) and player (McCants). And it was never about "cheating" anyway, just a question of whether or not the players involved were subjected and forced into a substandard education. But since "regular" students were also enrolled in the classes, if anything the athletic dept. was pretty much an unwitting victim as well, of, you know, "that junk" as Ol' Roy defined it.
Yeah, screw those bastards seven ways to hell and back. I've never heard a single UNC alum that I know personally who isn't a full-on apologist for the entire situation. One of the worst, a local doctor who you would think values academic integrity at his university, told me point-blank (w/o my even brining the scandal up to him, b/c the chance of a rational discussion w/him about his beloved Heels is like trying to have one with a Trump supporter) that "this type of thing occurs at every major college, including Wake Forest". This was during the Buzz/Manning/Grobe grass-picker days, so my only retort was that if in fact Wake cheats like "your guys" do, we need to do a better job of it based on our results on the field.

In 2011, the Wall Street Journal ranked unc as the dirtiest school in the history of the NCAA.

Did Wake do anything public or behind the scenes to honor Coach K on his retirement. Not saying we should have - just wondering...

I think State and Wake need to realize that we are the biggest rival to one another. We both act like it is Carolina outwardly but then, on the court/field, it is clearly one another. Shockingly, we are the two cleanest programs in NC (despite State’s current NCAA woes).

I’ve been a Wake fan my entire life, grew up in Winston, and Duke, Carolina, and State all suck.

/thread

Back