• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes Contract Extension

Not sure I agree that Forbes took the ACCT lightly because he thought we were already in the NCAAT. He made a point of saying, in effect, “let’s go win the ACCT” after the NC state game. He also discussed how he wanted his team to play a little desperate when he was on Packer & Durham accepting the COY award. He knew the stakes were high.

Regardless, if we get left out of the NCAAT, the ending to this season will be hard to forget for a while. I think we have/had a pretty good team that will be hard to recreate in a short period of time. Can’t help but feel like it will be a wasted opportunity if we don’t get a shot to play again.

Not sure I agree that Forbes took the ACCT lightly because he thought we were already in the NCAAT. He made a point of saying, in effect, “let’s go win the ACCT” after the NC state game. He also discussed how he wanted his team to play a little desperate when he was on Packer & Durham accepting the COY award. He knew the stakes were high.

Regardless, if we get left out of the NCAAT, the ending to this season will be hard to forget for a while. I think we have/had a pretty good team that will be hard to recreate in a short period of time. Can’t help but feel like it will be a wasted opportunity if we don’t get a shot to play again.

Certainly we can’t expect to strike gold in the transfer portal every season.

Given the results the optics are bad. You give your team 4 days off. If you got to go recruit, have the assistants run a practice. The reboot on Monday morning failed, which left them with traveling to NY and one day to get right.

Forbes said we have a team that could win the ACCT, but he also said, on Packer, he thought more about making the NCAA and hadn't thought about the ACCT.

The Transfer Portal is pretty new, I'm sure after seeing what Wake got out of it, more coaches will be trying to figure it out or spending more effort on it. Forbes either has to be a superior evaluator of talent and/or a coach players want to play for (which hopefully would translate to high school recruits as well).

That's one part that sucks about it. This was a chance to make a major step forward in the program while being ahead of the game with the transfer portal.

I don't think we can emphasize how important being the tournament is for recruiting. Being left out undoes a lot of hard work on the trail.

Someone needs to have a conversation with Coach Forbes about the importance of the ACC tournament to the alums and fans of the original ACC teams, especially in North Carolina. It is NOT just another tournament, it is THE Tournament to many of us. It's like an Ohio State football coach saying the Michigan game is just another football game. He is probably going to get a taste of the disappointment that comes from losing in the ACC tourney, so I believe a thorough discussion of the matter will get his undivided attention.

Live and learn.

Someone needs to have a conversation with Coach Forbes about the importance of the ACC tournament to the alums and fans of the original ACC teams, especially in North Carolina. It is NOT just another tournament, it is THE Tournament to many of us. It's like an Ohio State football coach saying the Michigan game is just another football game. He is probably going to get a taste of the disappointment that comes from losing in the ACC tourney, so I believe a thorough discussion of the matter will get his undivided attention.

Live and learn.

You would have hoped this would not have needed to be spelled out given our record and bubble situation. Someone decent at 5th grade math should have known the importance of the first round game, ASIDE from the pageantry and tradition of the ACC tournament. I hope a discussion is not warranted. If so, then we have reason for concern.

Forbes has to be discouraged with 13 ACC wins and no bid to show for it.

Hopes it lights a fire for next season. We have to be competitive in the ACCT.

Forbes has to be discouraged with 13 ACC wins and no bid to show for it.

Hopes it lights a fire for next season. We have to be competitive in the ACCT.

Jeez if he needed this to figure it out, I'm really concerned. It's not like we were ever firmly in the field, most of the fan base knew we were keeping ourselves on the bubble by losing to Clemson and then BC.

And coming from the SoCon where he could win 28 games and lose in he tourney and wind up in the NIT he should be familiar with how this works. We were 5th, not 2nd.

I guess he assumed that the 5th place team in the ACC who went 2-1 vs. major conference teams in the OOC is guaranteed to get in even though we've never been firmly in the field and were ranked #25 in one poll for one week and the narrative all season has been about the weak ACC.

Last edited:
That would be concerning. After Clemson I think he said we were not in the tourney yet, or to that effect. Not sure how pummeling two poor teams at home would give you that much confidence.

26 years since we felt like VT fans feel tonight.

Mike Young not as entertaining as Forbes. Does he get a contract extension after this?

Forgot this quote. Forbes said Wake is one of the best 68 in the country, after the BC loss. Only problem is you need to be one of the best 45-50 in the country due to auto qualifiers. :(

Now that we don’t have a tournament team, are we sure this portal bullshit is the way to go?

Back