• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, PETER LUGER

If we make the big dance the team should go VEGAN for the duration. Nuts and berries for the rest of the post season is the only way to undo the curse of the Luger.

WakeandBake pumps fist while driving his hybrid KIA

I think its p cool that 2 and 2 made it on Message Board Geniuses.

If we make the big dance the team should go VEGAN for the duration. Nuts and berries for the rest of the post season is the only way to undo the curse of the Luger.

Curse of the nuts & berries punch?

I blame the "Destiny" pep talk. Can't believe we filmed that like it was supposed to psyche up the fan base when half of us don't even know who the fuck it was that was talking and the players looked bored out of their skull. Gimme a Forbes or Clawson pep talk, but only if it's good. Wealthy donors harping about destiny just doesn't resonate.

As I posted on another thread, I don't think a steak dinner cost us the game. I do, however, think it showed a lack of focus and hunger (pun intended) being prepared for a 2:30 tip on national television.

Eat the hotel chicken, win some games and THEN celebrate with the steak. Order of operations is key.

Yes…this. It is not the food…at that age our guys would easily digest most anything. Maybe not the best pregame meal but not a huge problem. The big issue is the message that it sent to a bunch of 20 year olds. Stuff like that should be used to celebrate championships because the trophy is the end. Simply put the team played lazy. Very dumb idea and Forbes should have known better. If he was in a tough spot because of the donor…Currie should have stepped in.

I blame the "Destiny" pep talk. Can't believe we filmed that like it was supposed to psyche up the fan base when half of us don't even know who the fuck it was that was talking and the players looked bored out of their skull. Gimme a Forbes or Clawson pep talk, but only if it's good. Wealthy donors harping about destiny just doesn't resonate.

Well said. Sending that out after getting COY, POY, and 2nd team All-ACC had the feeling of a team celebrating a win, not a team needing a win. "Destiny" is something that's going to happen that you don't necessarily have to work for. Wake Forest has been one of if not the worst programs in the ACC Tournament. Wake Forest coaches and players should not be sitting around eating fancy steaks listening to a multi-millionaire talk about destiny.

It's pretty shitty of Conor not to understand that sentiment and use it to take a shot at the fanbase.

Last edited:
Harping on a meal beforehand is silly, this is so overblown.

(Stephen A voice) HOWEVER - Our own beat reporter tagging a meme twitter account when fans are melting down after a bad loss to pile on? That is lame af. And I have not waded into whether he sucks or not discussion elsewhere. I'm out on that dude 100%.

Maryland went to Fogo de Chao every night one of the year's they finished 2nd in the ACC tourney. Somehow they didn't all cramp up and become unfocused disasters.

We just watched a pretty good Duke team crater at home because of all the pressure thanks to K's victory lap. Same thing here. On the cusp of a tourney appearance, playing for the coach of the year, playing with the ACC player of the year, lots of guys playing in their last ACC tourney, loss would be disastrous, etc. So we get bricked 3's, missed free throws, and overanxious drives where we don't even wait for a pick. Look who played well - Monsanto, Jake, Cam - the guys with more chances and less baggage.

We still almost survived it, just hit one more damn free throw... But we didn't. Could Forbes have done more to loosen up the seniors? Maybe. Been quicker to put in Monsanto with Daivien and Mucius playing horribly? Maybe. Drawn up a play with our POY as a decoy since he was cramping? Ok yeah in hindsight, definitely. Did we still have a chance to win on the final possession despite so many guys just having awful individual games? Yes.

But the damn steak dinner didn't have a thing to do with it. That some fans think it did just shows how unrelatable college sports are to folks.

I've never been to Peter Luger, but my impression is that it's a serious step up from Fogo de Chao.

Maryland went to Fogo de Chao every night one of the year's they finished 2nd in the ACC tourney. Somehow they didn't all cramp up and become unfocused disasters.

We just watched a pretty good Duke team crater at home because of all the pressure thanks to K's victory lap. Same thing here. On the cusp of a tourney appearance, playing for the coach of the year, playing with the ACC player of the year, lots of guys playing in their last ACC tourney, loss would be disastrous, etc. So we get bricked 3's, missed free throws, and overanxious drives where we don't even wait for a pick. Look who played well - Monsanto, Jake, Cam - the guys with more chances and less baggage.

We still almost survived it, just hit one more damn free throw... But we didn't. Could Forbes have done more to loosen up the seniors? Maybe. Been quicker to put in Monsanto with Daivien and Mucius playing horribly? Maybe. Drawn up a play with our POY as a decoy since he was cramping? Ok yeah in hindsight, definitely. Did we still have a chance to win on the final possession despite so many guys just having awful individual games? Yes.

But the damn steak dinner didn't have a thing to do with it. That some fans think it did just shows how unrelatable college sports are to folks.

I agree with this take pretty much 100%

Well said, DC

I would just add that I also agree with the earlier posters that having Shah give a 'pep-talk' was just completely unnecessary and was never going to help. And it was done just to feed the ego of a major donor. If he wants to talk, then he can talk after the season is over, but during the season STFU and stay in your lane. You aren't important enough to interject yourself into a team dynamic. I don't give a fuck how much money you gave.

I've never been to Peter Luger, but my impression is that it's a serious step up from Fogo de Chao.

Yes and no. It's pretty laid back really, just expensive steak. Fogo de Chao more of a gluttony thing and trying to be fancy, also pretty expensive. But if people think eating too much expensive salty steak the night before tournament play is actually relevant then Fogo de Chao would be the poster child for disaster.

Yes and no. It's pretty laid back really, just expensive steak. Fogo de Chao more of a gluttony thing and trying to be fancy, also pretty expensive. But if people think eating too much expensive salty steak the night before tournament play is actually relevant then Fogo de Chao would be the poster child for disaster.
Tell me you don't understand this isn't really about steak without telling me you don't understand...

Ah. Well I haven't made the sodium argument. I've mentioned that a fancy steakhouse dinner after getting a bunch of awards seemed celebratory, not like a team ready to work and play 4 games in 4 nights to win a championship.

Ah. Well I haven't made the sodium argument. I've mentioned that a fancy steakhouse dinner after getting a bunch of awards seemed celebratory, not like a team ready to work and play 4 games in 4 nights to win a championship.

Sure, and the sodium thing was tongue-in-cheek, but I'm saying that $100-$200 person dinners on the road for tournaments is common, and gave an example of one I actually was there for. They blew it out, ordered everything, had a blast. Very celebratory. Went out the next day and crushed their first round opponent. Luger's as an experience is no big deal, just pricey.

yeah. It's not about the steak. It's about being Gritty Grimy Tough Together, which is inconsistent with going to Peter fucking Luger and acting like you have won something before you have.

And I think this thread is funny, which I think was 2&2's intention, and something we needed after yesterday's debacle, which I think none of us enjoyed. Particularly Peter Luger, since he was probably hoping to have 20 dudes come back and eat more steak last night.

My example was not meant to actually be about the steak. Yeesh.

Back