• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

I can't disagree with any of your reasoning. I think it could go either way, but feel like 40% in - 60% out right now. I'm confused as to why ND is not being mentioned as being on the bubble as much as Wake is, and I continue to be surprised that they think that both Rutgers and Michigan are in. Feel like only one of the two of them should be. Think Xavier gets left out, but can easily see them picking SMU or VT over the Deacs.

Lunardi was just on ESPN now saying Wake was out and SMU was in the field in his latest update. Mentioned that was tough on a team not even playing today, but that the late collapse put Wake in a position to be passed over. (nothing shocking to all of us, just passing along his comments...)

Lunardi was just on ESPN now saying Wake was out and SMU was in the field in his latest update. Mentioned that was tough on a team not even playing today, but that the late collapse put Wake in a position to be passed over. (nothing shocking to all of us, just passing along his comments...)

Presumably he would have us jumping SMU if they lose tomorrow. I am not sure if we get in even if tomorrow is perfect for us, but it is possible. Have to hope VT, A&M, SMU, and Dayton lose. And that Davidson wins 2 more. I’ll also root against Indiana even though most have IU safely in.

Not my thing, but this applies: The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Of course I think the depression can run concurrent with the the first 3.

After 42 years with Wake, this is the first time we've blown a bid. Sure there was the year we were 7-9 and 6-10 FSU got in, but we were not really in anyway. We had 1993 that we got in despite being on the bubble then pooped the bed in the 8/9 game vs. 'ville.

Ultimately Forbes needs to own this (of course I wouldn't say anything before Sunday either). Forbes is quotable, and what do they say 'if you are going to talk the talk you need to walk the walk'? This fanbase is long suffering and he needs to think about that. Some memorable paraphrased quotes:
- After UNC - 'at some point the team coaches itself'
- After State - '20 is good, 25 is great 30 is superior'
- After State #2 - 'it hard to earn respect'

Certainly needs to think about prep for the ACCT, maybe never have this situation again where we don't play on Sat, but just taking off and leaving the team until Monday was not a great idea in retrospect. Dinner thing was dumb, but it was set up by the long layoff.

Forbes' blind spot, IMO is in game coaching. Certainly feel some of the old ACC guard got the best of him 'in game'.

Losing one game is a collapse? Well, ok, hello Xavier. On one hand it's body of work and then there is Wake that lost one game, in OT. As I've said previously, we had 3 winnable games that we didn't. If we are out we only have ourselves to blame, but we may have the record for the largest fall when playing one game in 11 days.

And SMU beating a 10? seed moves them up, well ok again.

Hopefully, Forbes and the remaining players will learn this hard lesson, that while the ACCT isn't the most important thing, it's still important.

Someone needs to sit down with Forbes and explain the importance of the ACC tournament to him. He obviously doesn't understand its significance to the alums and fans of the original ACC.

Someone needs to sit down with Forbes and explain the importance of the ACC tournament to him. He obviously doesn't understand its significance to the alums and fans of the original ACC.

Yes we can add that quote as well: I was thinking about being in 'the' tournament but not this one.

Lunardi has Wake in the first four out behind VT and Oklahoma. Still has Xavier in which is baffling to me.

Just finished reading this thread for the first time. The Demon Deacons have nobody to blame but themselves if they don't make the Dance. They did a full on choke against BC and played poorly against Clemson. Those two losses cost them dearly.

Every year there are 4-8 teams that don't belong in the Dance based on their record. This year won't be any different. There will be excuses and explanations from the NCAA as always. Remember, this is an NCAA tournament. The NCAA is all about the $$$, first and foremost. If it pays, you play. Please refer to the UNC academic affair as exhibit one for verification.

For further enlightenment, actually examine the schedule and results of the teams being discussed for an invitation. Decide for yourself. The teams that don't belong will become apparent if you take the time to put in the work.

Losing one game is a collapse? Well, ok, hello Xavier. On one hand it's body of work and then there is Wake that lost one game, in OT. As I've said previously, we had 3 winnable games that we didn't. If we are out we only have ourselves to blame, but we may have the record for the largest fall when playing one game in 11 days.

And SMU beating a 10? seed moves them up, well ok again.

The last 11 days have basically been our March Madness. Just a wild roller coaster ride. Which just plummets straight down.

There’s always those 1-2 teams that don’t make it where people tsk tsk like “they should have made it” or “they should have taken care of business.” But then they move on to focus on filling out their brackets and those teams just don’t matter anymore come Monday morning. Looks like we’re probably one of those teams and I hate, hate, hate it. It was such an easily avoidable fate.

How much more can this fan base take?

The last 11 days have basically been our March Madness. Just a wild roller coaster ride. Which just plummets straight down.

There’s always those 1-2 teams that don’t make it where people tsk tsk like “they should have made it” or “they should have taken care of business.” But then they move on to focus on filling out their brackets and those teams just don’t matter anymore come Monday morning. Looks like we’re probably one of those teams and I hate, hate, hate it. It was such an easily avoidable fate.

State's DFL in year five and haven't won anything that matters in a revenue sport in the lifetime of any current player. They are walking rock bottom.

maybe never have this situation again where we don't play on Sat, but just taking off and leaving the team until Monday was not a great idea in retrospect. Dinner thing was dumb, but it was set up by the long layoff.

I’m not sure why people keep mentioning having Saturday off like it was in our control. The ACC gives everyone a schedule and then you play it. With 15 teams, everyone has an off day when everyone else is playing. That was just our turn.

Went from being a good story with a chance to make noise in March, back to irrelevancy in the drop of a steak knife.

Forbes may be "ahead of schedule" or whatever, but Wake bball continues to be a nothing burger nationally.

Hey: can we petition Peter Luger to put some kind of gourmet Black Angus Prime "Wake Forest Nothing Burger" on the menu?

ETA: topped with crumbled Manmanchego

Last edited:
From the end of our regular season to today, in which we played and lost to one team (BC) Lunardi has dropped us 14 spots. That doesn't happen.

Wonder how much these days the committee just looks at Lunardi and a few others’ brackets then just tweak a bit to make it look like they were working. Like are they really starting from scratch and evaluating 68 teams?

From the end of our regular season to today, in which we played and lost to one team (BC) Lunardi has dropped us 14 spots. That doesn't happen.
When that one game is a terrible loss and everyone else in the mix is winning it does.

ETA: It wouldn't have been just one game if we had won.

Last edited:
That's what I've been talking about for 3 days.

He downplayed the ACCT and jumped on an airplane.

WTH?

I don't think he down played. Wake had their only open date the last weekend of the season. He used it to see his only signee play in person and to see a recruitable player play in person. If the open weekend had been two weeks ago, and Forbes did the same thing, would anybody be saying a word?

When that one game is a terrible loss and everyone else in the mix is winning it does.

ETA: It wouldn't have been just one game if we had won.

I thought Atlanta’s point was simply, that doesn’t happen other than to teams that are steak bitten like us.

When we don’t get in with 23 wins in a P5 conference, I’m gonna need emails of the committee to send my hate mail to.

So the committee is going to justify lettting a program in whose coach punched another coach during a game?

Back